Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Plug in Capacitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug in Capacitor

Hi Danny;

I work at a Hobby Shop..a customer came in and wanted a Plug In Capacitor for his AR6100 Receiver. He is using it in a Ducted Fan Jet Model with a Brushless motor.
He said that he needed it because of the High Current Drain of the System...he is using Lipo's 2100 mah...
I thought the capacitor was for Car use.... Your attention to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plug in Capacitor

ORIGINAL: codimasta

Hi Danny;

I work at a Hobby Shop..a customer came in and wanted a Plug In Capacitor for his AR6100 Receiver. He is using it in a Ducted Fan Jet Model with a Brushless motor.
He said that he needed it because of the High Current Drain of the System...he is using Lipo's 2100 mah...
I thought the capacitor was for Car use.... Your attention to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
You are correct. He wasted his money. The capacitor will help filter out noise generated by his electric motor and VERY little more.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

The capacitor is for car use but it will work fine in an airplane. The capacitors bruce is talking about are to cut down arcing of the brushes on a brushed motor. The capacitor codimasta is talking about is part #SPM1600 it works to help maintain a constant voltage to the receiver.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
bruce88123

From Horizons site:
Spektrum's new Voltage Protector prevents a DSMâ„¢ receiver's voltage from dropping below the proper operating level in lower voltage applications such as 4-cell 1/12 carpet racers. Installation is as simple as plugging it into an open channel slot on the receiver unit.
It will help with miniscule spikes but is still overall worthless for much more than that.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
dsnyder

As has been noted, the Spektrum voltage protector is for 1/12 scale electric cars, and it will do nothing in aircraft. It is not a filter, and will not do anything in an aircraft.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

There's a company selling a capacitor that plugs into any outlet on the Spektrum Rx.

Apparently it's to overcome the problem of the Rx 'unbinding' in times of high load when the battery voltage may drop and cause this problem. It sounds like codimasta may be talking about this application.

What's your take on this Danny? Necessary or not? If so, what rating capacitor should I use?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
bruce88123

http://www.airwildpilotshop.com/more...roduct&sku=FDC
He may be talking about THIS one Danny. Or maybe not. Would be nice if he'd mention which one he is talking about IMO.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Looks like codimasta and I are talking about the same device Bruce. I took a look at the site you provided, and that's exactly the thing I'm talking about. The size of the capacitor helps too.

But does it do what it's supposed to do. Danny, your views?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM
dsnyder

I do not recommend the use of any capacitor for aircraft, so I don't have any advise on sizing one.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 AM
superdave01

Most any capicator would be instantly drawn down if something is drawing enough to draw the battery down, the battery would be MUCH more mah unless it was maybe a huge capicator.

Now a cap after the regulator in the receiver would do wonders.