Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

FUTURE OF 72 MHZ RADIOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Bobhend
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUTURE OF 72 MHZ RADIOS

Danny,
I have heard that JR is discontinuing all 72 MHz radio systems, is this true ? I own 11 FM receivers and use a SX600 radio. I was just about ready to get a more powerful radio such as the 7202 or 9303. I would buy a 2.4 G radio if it could also run my 11 FM receivers. I need a better radio but I have no reason to go to spread spectrum. What is going on ? How much longer will FM / PCM 72 MHz radios be available ?
BH
Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
onewasp

Default RE: FUTURE OF 72 MHZ RADIOS

Danny is out (see the sticky) but your concerns would seem unfounded as the 12X has been announced in two configurations.

One is dedicated 2.4GHz the other is a module version to allow 72 and with a module switch 2.4GHz.

It would seem unlikely that they would do that while discontinuing the rest of the 72MHz sets--------Eventually it will probably disappear but for the immediate future I don't think so.
Supply/demand will govern that.

I think your "source" is misinformed.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Bobhend

I just ordered a 7202 aircraft radio. My hobby shop reiterated today that Horizon is discontinuing 72 MHz radio systems, meaning they are not ordering any more but will sell off whatever is in the pipeline. Since 72 MHz is the standard in Japan, JR will still make them for their market, just a bit hard for us to read. There is no way of knowing when Horizon will run out of any particular model; they may have enough for all of 2008, no way to know. That is why I just ordered mine despite having a foot of snow on the ground here. I called AMA and spoke with Greg Hahn, the new technical director. He said that 72 MHz channels will be available for a long, long time . I just love my JR equipment and look forward to moving up from the SX600 to the 7202. This radio has exeactly the features I need, is highest quality and outstanding value. Danny is back "mid week", maybe he is working this issue . For anyone on the fence over converting to 2.4 GHz, HH is offering great deals on extra receivers right now. I had too many 72 MHz receivers to go to the DSS and channel crowding is not an issue in our area.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

ORIGINAL: Bobhend

I just ordered a 7202 aircraft radio. My hobby shop reiterated today that Horizon is discontinuing 72 MHz radio systems, meaning they are not ordering any more but will sell off whatever is in the pipeline. Since 72 MHz is the standard in Japan, JR will still make them for their market, just a bit hard for us to read. There is no way of knowing when Horizon will run out of any particular model; they may have enough for all of 2008, no way to know. That is why I just ordered mine despite having a foot of snow on the ground here. I called AMA and spoke with Greg Hahn, the new technical director. He said that 72 MHz channels will be available for a long, long time . I just love my JR equipment and look forward to moving up from the SX600 to the 7202. This radio has exeactly the features I need, is highest quality and outstanding value. Danny is back "mid week", maybe he is working this issue . For anyone on the fence over converting to 2.4 GHz, HH is offering great deals on extra receivers right now. I had too many 72 MHz receivers to go to the DSS and channel crowding is not an issue in our area.
do you guys really think you are going to get a definitive answer on something so provocative (especially from JR and its salespeople), in a forum like this?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Bobhend

I received the following email today from a friend, he relayed a message from Pete Goldsmith, Manager of Team JR. My local Hoppy shop is apparently suffering from Chicken Little Syndrome , although I am sure they will now say 'they denied the rumor, that PROVES IT IS TRUE !!!". That notwithstanding, JR Spektrum published a 2 page ad in the May issue of FLY RC proclaiming "THE CHANGE HAS COME, THE TIME IS NOW". Their deals on extra DSM receivers are hot.

Here is the message from Pete Goldsmith
"Team Announcement

Rumors abound! Some people say we’re “discontinuing 72Mhz” which is not true.

In fact, the new 12X has a version that includes a 72Mhz module.

It’s true that we are reducing inventory on our 72Mhz radios by offering some great deals on great radios however. we will continue to support 72MHz for the foreseeable future.

Pete"
Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Bobhend

I get my new 7202 tomorrow but get this, the price has been cut to $269.95 !!!! They said again, it is discontinued. This has to be the best deal out there for those of us that have a huge number of planes with FM receivers.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we will continue to support 72MHz for the foreseeable future
There is a big difference between providing support and selling new radios.

As a bad analogy, I can get parts support for my 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1600 and my 1970 VW Beetle. That does not mean that you can go to the dealer and buy a new one.

But I'm just adding fuel to the fire here, as I don't know any details. The truth is that 2.4 is here to stay.

Rafael
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Bobhend

My shop said there is a new wrinkle in the spread spectrum (2.4 GHz) world. If 3 or more Futaba spread spectrum radios are running, the JR will not run. Up to 40 JR DSM radios can run at the same time, otherwise. I am not sure how many Futaba radios can run at the same time. Once again Futaba has come up with totally incompatible equipment. This is going to be a problem for large events and busy fields. I picked up my new 7202 yesterday. What a fantastic deal.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Get the popcorn out. The sky is following again. Dennis
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like everything, it is market driven. If the 2.4 radios work and the price is right, why would anyone want to buy 72 mHz? Why worry about frequency issues.

At our club meeting the other night, we have two members that work for two different hobby shops. Both say they were told that JR, Futaba, etc are putting no more money into the development of 72 mHz. This is a gold mine for the radio manufacturers. This gives a lot of people a reason to go out and buy a new radio. Just like Best Buy and Circuit City love the new HD TV;s.

Both these guys also claim that a year from now new 2.4 radios will be on the market in the $100 price range. Who knows, but new stuff is always fun....