Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM
waynesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps

I have a JR X9303 2.4. It is installed in a Pike Perfect. Six servo setup. 2-flaps, 2-ailerons, Rudder and elevator. I cannot get the flaps to work on the left stick. I have Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons on the right stick where I want them but I don't want the Rudder on the left stick. Can't seem to get it off there. The flap thing is the biggest problem I can't seem to make them work at all.

Help

Wayne Selway
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 AM
danfield4

Default RE: Flaps

1. I assume in your model setup you selected a Wing Type as Dual Flap. If not, turn off, hold the "Ent" button and turn on. Go to Wing Type and select Dual Flap. While your there, you might consider going to Trim Step and change Spoi to zero so you can't mess up your mechanical trim button when your not looking.

Not sure what "Flap" mode you want on the Spoiler stick so I will guess. I can think of 3 ways you might want to it but there may be more. Depends on what you like to use and what you might be doing, Slope or Winch. I am a Sloper, F3F so ...

1. Slope - I have no need for using the Left 3W switch as Launch Mode, Cruise or Land. I use the L3w for Flight modes, light, med and heavy, different mixes and setting for each. I also don't like the side sliders. I use the Butterfly Switch ( Top Left/back ) for both Variable Full TE Camber to climb and a Launch/ Butterfly for Landing both on the Spoiler Stick.
a. List Button/ Butterfly mode. Here is a lesson from Joe Wurts and think of the switch position relating to what I want it to do. As you hold the Radio, basically flatish, UP is UP, Full variable camber as I want the the model to go UP. UP is POS 1. Scroll to position 1, I only use Spol+Flpn and Spoi+Flap, I like to input Elev myself as needed while climbing. With your model on, you apply full Back Spoiler, then use the Scrol to get both the flap and the flapperon where you want it. I also carry more full TE camber than the model will actually take most of the time, but sometimes in the right conditions she might take a bit more. Fly the model, if she will take it, I let her have it. mmm Maybe 6-7 mm's Flap Root and match the flapperon to the flap. Then flip the switch down and set up Butterfly mode for landing. You just enter a negative number to raise the Flapperons, same deal. Apply full Spoiler Back and adjust with the roller until you get what you want. I do of course plug in some Down Elev to start, this must be setup in the air anyway. Open the radio to spoi+elev and adjust in the air.

2. If you're a winch kinda of guy and you want to use Fixed Launch modes, you might want to use the both the 3w as lettered. If so, turn off , hold ENT and turn on. You need to ACTivate the left and right 3w's. and lower left corner is TRIM - turn on FM - WARNING/Example - all trims will be different as set in each of the 5 flight modes. Especially Elev - where as if way off you could crash flipping a 3w switch. It is recommended to leave in "COM" or common for initial flight trims. THEN match the elevator trim in all Flight modes to the trimmed elev you liked.

Cute trick here, look on the Main Screen right below the Slider Bar showing your Elev trim. You will see a Number, say it's 10. Flip to each the 3W positions and just match that number, you don't need to trim test in each. Later you can do what you want to fine tune, you might want a click or two up elev in Thermal maybe - you can adjust that but the 3w switch must be in the mode you want to trim in while you are setting up your preferences.

No clue what the winch guys are doing with the L3W in Land mode, I think they are all doing a variable Butterfly mode, but you can ask around. For say Launch, you Flip the L3W to Launch. If you want some down flap or flaperon, you can simple use the Trim/flap Trim/Flapperon buttons on the top face. Go easy and work your up with lots of launches. If you want a tad of say up Elev, L3w still in Launch and click the elevator trim button. You did remember to go back as enable Trim = FM mode right? :-) Thermal could use a fixed TE camber if you would rather do that. Speed can be say some reflex, all with a 3W switch and the Trim /Flap & Flapperon buttons.

You can do this with each 3W flight mode including any ail/rud mix , diff and so on and all can be different.

3. Would be to let turn on the Sliders and use that for variable camber if you want.

Not sure why you would want to turn off Rudder on the left stick, you should learn how to use it. But, if you want, Select Lst/ D/R & Expo, simply change to Rudder and change the rate to zero on both pos 1 & 2 and it's gone. What I don't understand is, Ail/Rud mix still works.

There you go for now. And there's more, this radio can do a lot and in many cases the same job with different methods to your liking.
JR, Feel the Diff. :-)
Dan

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM
waynesel

Thank you for the reply,

Nothing you mentioned helped.

These are my settings

1. Wing type = Dual Flap - ACT
2. Model - Glider
3. Trim Step - Spoi = 0%
4. Device Select
a. Laun = L3P
b. Trim = FM
c. MOTO = BTFL
D. Flap = Flap Lev
E. Speed = INH
5. SUBTRIM = RFLP-224 - RFLP-224
6. AIL-RUD_MX - 100% for all
7. BUTTERFLY
a. SPOI STK = INH
b. SPOI FLAP and FPRN = 0%
c. SPOI OFFSET = 158

Nothing else has been changed or set.
My problems are:

1. Left stick will not move flaps
2. Left stick moves rudder - I don't want that.
3. I do have Ailerons, Rudder and Elevator on the right stick.
4. If I add SPOI FLAP with the scroll only my right flap moves, my left Flap goes full reflex and stays their.

Again Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:30 PM
danfield4

ORIGINAL: waynesel

Thank you for the reply,

Nothing you mentioned helped.

These are my settings

1. Wing type = Dual Flap - ACT
2. Model - Glider
3. Trim Step - Spoi = 0%
4. Device Select
a. Laun = L3P
b. Trim = FM
c. MOTO = BTFL
D. Flap = Flap Lev
E. Speed = INH
5. SUBTRIM = RFLP-224 - RFLP-224
6. AIL-RUD_MX - 100% for all
7. BUTTERFLY
a. SPOI STK = INH
b. SPOI FLAP and FPRN = 0%
c. SPOI OFFSET = 158

Nothing else has been changed or set.
My problems are:

1. Left stick will not move flaps
2. Left stick moves rudder - I don't want that.
3. I do have Ailerons, Rudder and Elevator on the right stick.
4. If I add SPOI FLAP with the scroll only my right flap moves, my left Flap goes full reflex and stays their.

Again Thanks for the reply.
I have no idea how 7. a> Spoi = INH was done. Go back to Model Setup/devices and make sure Spoi = ACT. Though I just tried deactivaing mine and BTV remained active.

Wild Guess, if you are an old time JR guy and thought you Knew the channel order, for Sailplanes on the 9303 the order changed and as I recall, it's different for Airplanes on the 9303, may be the old order. Since you have Flaps going in different directions I would double check the you plugged in the channels correctly.

2. Rudder, I told you how,, Dual Rate to zero on both POS.

IMHO, running 100% Ail/rud is asking for turn troubles unless you have some wild idea. Might start at say 20 to 30 % and work your way up actually flying the Pike and watch how the tail tracks in a turn.

Dan
Edit - you might try adding some Ail/Flap mix and see if the Flaps actually move and follow the Ail's as a test of channel order.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
waynesel

Hello,

Still have same issue with Flaps.

Butterfly:
SPOI STK does not have ACT as a selection. It must be set as a value of 0 to 100.
Setting at 100 has no affect.

Channel Order:
THRO - Lt. Aileron
AIL - Rt. Aileron
ELEV - Elev
RUD - Rudder
Gear - Lt. Flap
AUX1 - Rt. Flap.

The Dual Rate does take away the Rudder on the LT. Stick.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
danfield4

ORIGINAL: waynesel

Hello,

Still have same issue with Flaps.

Butterfly:
SPOI STK does not have ACT as a selection. It must be set as a value of 0 to 100.
Setting at 100 has no affect.

Channel Order:
THRO - Lt. Aileron
AIL - Rt. Aileron
ELEV - Elev
RUD - Rudder
Gear - Lt. Flap
AUX1 - Rt. Flap.

The Dual Rate does take away the Rudder on the LT. Stick.

Thanks
Wayne
There's your problem. It's Lt Rt on Ail, then Rt Lt on Flap.. Reverse the Flap Channels.

Spoi does have an Act but it is in Setup not in Butterfly. To set Butterfly and SEE what is going on, you must pull the Spoi Stick fully back. Only then will you see the flap / Flaperon and even elev move.

Dan
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 PM
waynesel

Hello,

Changing the flap positions on the receiver did not make any difference. The left stick still does not operate the flaps. The right flap is still being told to go full reflex, left still flap does nothing. This should work with no mixing just move the stick up and down and the flaps should move, I am baffled.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 AM
danfield4

Only thing left I can think of is to set up a new model, maybe what ever it is will go away.

Did you ever try mixing Ail/Flap to see if the flaps would follow the Ail's?

Dan
Out of ideas.

One more idea.. Check the sub trims, you may be so far to one way the up going flap is just jamming up. If you set the flaps up like the Manual, you crank the offset away from the direction it would go to move the flaps down. You can use up most of the 250 increments, say 190 or even 200 so you're saving a bit for up mix or reflex. This would include the Trim Flap button on the Face if you have been moving it a lot one way.