Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Kill Switch for DX7??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Ken Cz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch for DX7??

Hi,
Can you please explain in detail how to program/set up a mix to function as a 'kill switch' on my DX7?

I am aware of the throttle recovery feature and do use it but would prefer a simple kill switch set up.

Thanks!
Ken Cz
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
hummingbird111

Default RE: Kill Switch for DX7??

If you are referring to the engine kill switch on the DX-7 , i too would like to know how to set up this feature -> why isn't there a simple button to push for killing the engine after you land?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Ken Cz

It's my understanding that there is a way to program a throttle kill switch and that it is posted on one of the 2 major discussion forums.
I have been unable to find it and hope someone out there can help.
Ken
Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Ken6PPC

WHOOPS! I forgot where I was..... Danny should answer this question.

Sorry, Danny!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I still don't understand the need for a kill switch on the radio. All you have to do is pull the throttle trim to the bottom and "boom" the engine quits. No big deal. Set up a chock servo and do the same thing. Dennis
Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
3D_Junkie

Ken,
I just put the switch on the gear channel (ch5) and changed the endpoints of the channel so that it is 0 on one position and +100 on the other. I like to setup the plus side to be about 10% more than the switch needs to actuate. Ex. RCATS switches ususally only need ~30% of full channel deflection, therefore I will program the endpoint of the channel to be 40%.

If you don't get a response from Danny you may have to post you question again. I have found that a question will not get answered once people have started posting against it. The big red 0, gets a response from Danny pretty quickly.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 AM
DadsToysBG

I'm not against the idea, I just don't understand the need. When you fly Futaba you have to use the kill switch. With JR all you use is the slide switch. Why use a spare channel when you have the trim lever? Dennis
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
3D_Junkie

ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

Hi,
Can you please explain in detail how to program/set up a mix to function as a 'kill switch' on my DX7?

I am aware of the throttle recovery feature and do use it but would prefer a simple kill switch set up.

Thanks!
Ken Cz
Ken,
I just realized that you are not adding an external switch but want to program a transmitter switch to act as a throttle cut.

It is actually very easy to do. You set up the mix such that the throttle channel is both the master and the slave. I'm not sure if it is better to use the offset or to use the rate. I just used the rate to increase the travel of the servo by 5% on the low side. I mainly used this function as a throttle down function when I was breaking in my new gasser. Attached is a pic from the DX7 manual for mixes, it shows the throt => throt mix.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37374.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	907806  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Ken Cz

Dennis - I guess it just boils down to personal preference and something I wanted to learn how to do.

To all the others that replied: Many thanks for the great help and making this forum such a great tool for the newer flyers!

Best to all!
Ken
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
bob1393
My Feedback: (10)

Dennis - it seems to me, from reading your posts, you are under the impression that the DX7 has a throttle trim slide switch like the JR radios. On the DX7 the throttle trim is digital, not analog like the JR. Thus killing an engine takes a few seconds as you hold the trim switch down and wait for it. I don't like it, and would prefer a kill switch also.

Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 AM
DadsToysBG

If that is the case, then I'm wrong and a kill switch is in order. I use the 10x and have a slide switch. Most of the radios that go thru my store are the higher end that still use the slide switch. Should have checked before asking the question. Dennis
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
bob1393
My Feedback: (10)

No problem Dennis. FYI, I know some of the Futaba radios (maybe all of them - I'm not sure) also have digital trims on the throttle channel and thus they like to have a kill switch also. I'm a jet jock, and if a plane is going in, we want to be able to shut the turbine down quickly, thus a digital trim is not the best. Maybe that's one of the reasons why so many of use JR radios because they have analog throttle trims? I wish they would have done that on the Spectrum DX7 as well.

Bob