Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Non-technical manufacturer question!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-technical manufacturer question!!

I am noticing some ads in the mags offering extra receivers if one buys a radio or module set. This makes me wonder about the logic of this. It isn't like these companies to just give away their product without a reason. Is it competition, inventory reduction, or clearing out for a new product? Being an inquisitive sort I thought I would ask the manufacturer forum and see what's the inside dope. I am on the sidelines of the 2.4Ghz issues right now trying to make up my mind to buy or wait and see if there is something else in the pipeline. Technology being what it is, there could be something new/better/just different out next year.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Default RE: Non-technical manufacturer question!!

ORIGINAL: ec121-RCU

I am noticing some ads in the mags offering extra receivers if one buys a radio or module set. This makes me wonder about the logic of this. It isn't like these companies to just give away their product without a reason. Is it competition, inventory reduction, or clearing out for a new product? Being an inquisitive sort I thought I would ask the manufacturer forum and see what's the inside dope. I am on the sidelines of the 2.4Ghz issues right now trying to make up my mind to buy or wait and see if there is something else in the pipeline. Technology being what it is, there could be something new/better/just different out next year.

you are not going to get anything "inside" here, trust me. IMHO, JR/Spektrum is trying to get a leg up on Futaba by getting people into their brands.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's just marketing. Find the ways to bring in the customers. I dropped Futaba like a hot rock after I got my hands on my first JR in the early 90's, and I kissed 95% of the hits and problems goodbye on the spot. THAT was their "leg up", over 15 years ago, and they've been doing a great job ever since. I love my new Spektrum DX-7.

Jim
Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
slarty

One of the things holding people back from going the whole hog on 2.4 GHz is the amount of money they have invested in their existing receivers (be it 35/36/40/41/72/75 MHz). To change say 10 receivers, would cost a hell of a lot of money. This way, you are getting receivers at half price to start swopping over your fleet.

A smart business move !
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Some thieves were kind enough to get me started buying new Rxs, since they stole pretty much all of my old ones with my planes. So, I said to myself, I guess it's time to start that transition over to the Spektrums! And of course, a whole new lot of birds, batteries, and building stuff.

Jim
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
superdave01

Explanation:

If a person owns a JR/Spektrum Transmitter and 2-3 Recievers to go with it there stuck....... Why would you then switch to Futaba, the cost would be pretty high at that point!

Marketing, and i think its cheap marketing, consider it will bring on many long time customers. Futaba would be a FOOL to not do similar, after all these recievers cant be expensive to make, I bet a AR7000 cost then under $25, maybe way under.

Personally I use a x9303 and several different recievers, ar6100, 6200,7000 9000 and R921 and absolutely LOVE it!!!!

Been in the hobby for 25 years and untill my first JR, XP9303 72Mhz about 2 years ago i was Futaba all the way.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

The world market is TOUGH these days. Just making it to where Futaba and JR are now positioned is nearly impossible by itself, they're trying to increase their market share in a small market. You want them hooked on your stuff, you want the gimmick. FAAAST, stuff, like that, all little things to get your attention for long enough to switch brands. I've got a handful of new receivers and several more to go...OUCH each time! When you're doing these new giants and the setups with them for servos and smartflys and multi-battery packs and stuff, the receivers end up being the SMALL bucks of the setup. I looked at my list of what I'd spent on my Wild Hare 28% Edge, not all that big but it got pretty scarey when I added it all up....and I'm not done yet! Can't imagine these 42% jobbies...yikes!

Jim