Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Crystals, Modules and Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 09:53 AM
greenpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystals, Modules and Confusion

I have a Quattro (ch 19), Quattro buddy box and a 662 (ch 41). Have read many posts regarding crystals, and still confused! Can I change the module on the 662 so it is on channel 19? Just got a Super Sporster - when buddy boxed to the Quattro, master being the 662, the plane flys at full throw (because buddy box lacks Dual Rates?). Can I use the Quattro as the master by using the module from the 662? Would the Dual Rates then be available? Can the module be switched from radio to radio as needed?
MY GOAL - Trying to get off ch 41, as there are too many at the field. Would like to have 2 buddy boxes (one set for the Super Spt. and one set for an Alpha trainer), with both planes on ch 19.
If I haven't completely confused you, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is against FCC regulations to change the frequency of a transmitter except when performed by an authorized service center. You can send it in and have it changed. The slave controls the functions when buddy boxed, so it will not have dual rates when the quattro is the slave. If the 662 is the slave however, it would have dual rates.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:56 PM
tiggerinmk

Greenpilot,

I had a similar problem. I have a XF631 on ch49 and a Quattro on ch27. Another member was at the field and on ch49 all the time.

To solve your immediate problem, the solution is to use the quattro as the master, in your case on ch19. You can then use either the (other) Quattro or the 622 as the buddy box. Using the 622 as the buddy box gives you dual rates while the instructor uses full rates on the Quattro.

You have to make sure though that your plane is set up to use 100% servo travel on all channels (esp the throttle) if you originally programmed it on the 622.

Assuming that the 622 has a plug in RF module like the 8103, then the module contains all of the RF circuitry and has a crystal in it. As Danny says, you can't legally change this crystal, but you have a couple of options:

You can either send your 622 module off to HH to get the channel changed, or
You can get a new module on your desired frequency.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
dsnyder

The 622 does not use a module. It would need to be sent in for the conversion.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:36 PM
greenpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks all -

Think I'll send in the 662 for a channel change, get a receiver crystal and then I will have 2 buddy boxes (Quattro's), one set for the Alpha and one set for the Super Sportster. Will use the 662 as the master for both. And will make throw adjustments on the plane. That's my plan today, anyway!!