Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 3810/8301 Flap trim question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Gaaaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 3810/8301 Flap trim question.

Hi,

I can't trim my flaps(flaperon):
When i change the trim value "FLAP" in the [Sub trim] menu, only the left aileron(CH 6) moves up/down, the right aileron (CH 2) stays in position.
Although, when i turn the"flap trim knob", both ailerons move up/down as they should. I'd rather not rely on the flap knob, 'cause when it is accidently moved or it gets bumped, i could be in for a surpise. i'd like to INH the FLAP POT.

my x-3810 ADT setup for a cg extreme 330
type: acrobatic
wing type: flaperon
ch 2: right aileron
ch 6: left aileron

I must be doing something wrong, 'cause i can't believe this Tx doesn't support this option...

With my older Tx, a graupner MC 16/20, this isn't a problem: every channel can be trimmed seperatly. With the 3810: when you trim the ailerons, both channels 2 & 6 will move.

Greetz, Wim (Belgium, Europe)
Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using sub trim, each channel is independent of each other in the 8103, I assume the same would be the case for the 3810. Using the trim though, both the channels will move because they are mixed together so the aileron trim will function the slave channel through the flaperon mixing.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Gaaaz

Thanks for you reply Danny,

But it seems to me kind of strange. Using the aileron trim will function the slave channel through the flaperon mixing.
OK, why won't the flap trim function his slave channel. With flap trim, i assume, it's the other way around, ie ch6 is now master and ch 2 slave. Doesn't flaperon mixing cover this. Or am i wrong again...

So if i understand correctly: the only way to trim the ailerons into a neutral flap position is through the "flap trim knob"
Is it possible to give this flap knob an offset so that the neutral flap position equals the "0" on the flap knob?

Greetings, Wim

ps Sorry for the messy sentences, i'm not used to expressing myself in english, hope you understand what i'm trying to explain ;-)
Old 05-21-2003, 06:29 AM
milesgoff

Gaaaz
If you don't mind me adding my two pence worth....

I also have a 3810 (it's the same as the US 8103, they've just got the numbers mixed up ).

Similar set up:

Wing type flaperon
Separate aileron servos on 3 (aileron) and aux 1
Flap pot inhibited
Landing switch active
Landing switch flaps set to down 150
Landing switch elevator set to up 30

My problem is the ailerons are not set symmetrical at neutral, that is they're slightly offset (i.e. trimmed) for straight and level flight. Due to this, when the flaps are deployed with the landing switch, one flap drops more that the other causing the model to drop a wing and veer off to one side.

I'm sure you'll say trim the flaps so they drop the same amount using sub trim to obtain straight and level with flaps down (either on 'aileron' or 'flap' sub trim). If you do this, it alters the previously trimmed, neutral of the ailerons which now needs retrimming for straight and level which causes the flaps to be out of synch again and so on. If you use the aileron trim tab, though it trims both aileron and flap channels simultaneously, it has the same effect on ultimate flap position as described above.

Gaaaz, I think dsnyder meant the aileron trim tab on the front of the set to adjust both servos together (as you would in a single servo set up) and aileron or flap sub trim to adjust each servo independently. You can assign the flap function to the landing switch, inhibit the flap pot and set the down flap value in the landing switch function as I have. Dependent on the neutral trim state of your ailerons, you might then have the problem I have.

One step forwards two back?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:25 PM
dsnyder

Yes, that is correct, I am speaking of the aileron trim lever. This will work on both channels, as well as the trim lever for the flap will function on both channels. But through the sub trims all channels are independent of one another. Using sub trim on the aileron channel will only work the servo plugged into the aileron channel, etc. on the 8103 and I believe the 3810 would be the same.

The easiest way to correct for differences in flap travel in a flaperon set up is to set up an flap to aileron (or elevator to aileron if you are using an elevator to flap mix) mix on the same switch, and use small percentages to make them match one another. This would increase the throw on one side and decrease the throw on the other.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:03 PM
milesgoff

dsnyder

Thanks for your help. I used mix no 6 and mixed flap to aileron. This allowed me to reduce the deflection on the most down side when deployed as flaps using the landing switch. This didn't alter the trim of the ailerons themselves with landing switch off. I won't know the effect until I test fly (if it ever stops raining over here) but I couldn't trim flaps independent of aileron before so it should sort it.

I didn't know the mixes were cumulative and you could have more than one in at a time on the same controls. You live and learn.

Thanks again
Rgds
MG
Old 05-21-2003, 05:00 PM
dsnyder

No problem! Let us know if you have any further questions.