Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dual Battery Setup ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
bandog.fl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery Setup ?

I would like to set up my next plane with dual batteries. Have a six channel (AR6100), will be using all six of the channels with servos.

So how do I proceed? I asked JR if I should: 1) use 2 switches with 'Y' connector to battery port or 2) use 1 switch with 'Y' connector from batteries to swtich?

There answer was "your would be better off using the 'Y' connector on one of the servos"? I am not an electrecial wiz, so what did they tell me? Did they even answer my question?

I would appreciate any help or guidance .............thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dual Battery Setup ?

It's easier than it sounds. Three-wire connectors carry both power and signal. Get a Y connector that is 3-wire. On mine, for example, I just took my wire connector to my rudder servo and installed a Y connector there. To the other leg of the Y I simply plugged in another battery. What this does is provide more of the same voltage to the system, in my case it gives the rudder servo a closer, more direct voltage source. I do so to prevent voltage drop at the TX during heavy amperage draw, like a heavy rudder servo will draw. I have a DX7 and voltage drop at the TX is one of the few issues it never hurts to stack the deck against. I also use 6-volt batteries standard with my Spektrum now. 6.0 volts is a lot farther away from 3.5 or 3.4 volts (where the Spektrum TX can glitch out) than 4.8 volts is.

It also provides backup voltage to the TX should the other battery fail or have a connection loss.

Hope I've been some help on the how and the why.

Jim
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
bandog.fl

Thanks, your answer does make sense.

I assume I should use a second switch between the battery and the 'Y' to the servo?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

You'll need something to disconnect it, and something to charge it. That will fall to you to decide what works in the areas you have to work with there in your model. I have pull-pull so the servo stays in the front area and I simply unplug it between flights, but have considered adding another switch. The plane turned out to float so a little bit of weight is viable now. I just didn't do it at first until I found out what I had there for flight characteristics. I thought it might fly heavy, instead it floats by and doesn't want to land! So in this case a switch is probably going to be added.

Jim
Old 01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
bandog.fl

Jim,

Thanks, you halp is much appreciated.

Miike
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM
tuavp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi to all,

I have spectrum AR9000 9 channel receiver and would like to set up my C-ARF EXTRA 330L 2.3m plane with dual batteries, so I have 2 ea 2 cell 2.600 Mah LiOn batteries , what happens if I connect them,; 1 to battery port via heavy duty JR Switch and 2nd to any open port on my receiver ofcourse via swicth????(Both batteries will be regulated) When I open the both batteries via switches can AR9000 handle the amperage?? and will it be a redundant system???
Thks
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
DSTIEBS

I thought of using 2-6.v Batterys and hook them up using a Y-Connector. Then plug the end of the Y-Connector into the battery side of the charge jack switch. That way the Batterys could both be charged together and give me twice the amps so they will have all the amps needed and last longer. Anyone see any problem with this setup. Dave.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Dave,
Yes, that gives you only one connector, one power source into the TX. If you have a loose connection develop on the end that plugs into the switch, you're done. Place the Y in another circuit, say the rudder servo wire (or any other servo, really), and you have another separate source of voltage coming into the TX from a different location. As we discussed before, that does leave you with the need to charge that other battery and turn it on and off, perhaps using a second switch. Redundancy of systems is a safety factor in keeping a model healthy and flying.

Jim
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
DSTIEBS

Thanks Jim. I now can see your point. I was just trying to get around the second switch. It makes sense to have the extra backup circuit. Dave.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yeah, those heavy double-pole switches are expensive, but they're nuthin' compared to watching your plane head for the ground and you having nothing on the stick. I stopped using the little switches years ago after one just......stopped working one day. Bye-bye little plane!!!

Call it an investment!

Jim
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
DSTIEBS

I'll order another switch from Spektrum with the charging jack receptacle and the extra Battery. Dave.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

You'll never regret that move!
Jim