Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum range checking - DX7 / AR7000

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:56 PM
boltor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum range checking - DX7 / AR7000

Couple of questions about range checking Spektrum gear (have a DX7 with AR7000).
1) Should you orient the antenna directly out (not bent at 45 deg like for normal) and point at the aircraft?
2) Is the "30 paces" distance for checking the range (ie: depressing the bind switch) a ninimum necessary, or does it have tolerance built in?

Reason I ask is that I find that at excatly 30 paces and the antenna directly out (ie: not bent) I have no control over the model - if I step in 3-4 paces, or orient the antenna to the bent orientation, then I regain control?

Spektrum says: "With the model resting on the ground, stand 30 paces (approx. 90 feet) away from the model. Face the model with the transmitter in your normal flying position and depress and hold the bind button on the back of the transmitter. This causes reduced power output from the transmitter. You should have total control of the model with the button depressed at 30 paces (90 feet)"

so I guess this means that the antenna should be bent (normal flying position)...

keen for any experiences / thoughts - is slightly less than 30 paces 'good enough' or is this a sign of a potential problem?

photo of AR7000 installation attached.

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90337.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1112453  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum range checking - DX7 / AR7000

I always have the antenna at 45 deg from vertical and to the side. 90 ft is a minimum distance. I have gotten further.

You can do tests where someone rotates the model 45 deg at a time and check Range at all positions. Also, if you have the Flight Logger, check the readings before you shut off the Rx. Get the Satelite Rx out away from the Main Rx. I like 36". and make sure the antennas on the Satelite Rx are at different angles to the antennas on the Main Rx.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah I'd get a longer satellite rx lead so you can move it further away, depending on the install you can get away with something less than 36" depending on the layout. You need a Flight Log to go with that setup and verify what's going on with the install, it's an inexpensive tool worth lots of peace of mind.

I agree that the distance you're seeing isn't good enough but there are other factors which could affect that range i.e. there is a pavillion at our club with aluminum roofing, if you're too close to that it affects range checks. I suspect that re-orienting your rx's and moving the satellite rx further away will solve your problem.

I've seen lots of posts about the antenna orientation of the tx most of which make conclusions not warranted. Every radio antenna has a "dead zone" right off the tip but it's not really of any consequence since one rarely points an antenna directly at at model while flying or anything else. A 72MHz radio system has the same issues, did you bend that antenna to fly?????

Here's a link to the Team Horizon site with an article about tx antenna orientation, I'll take Horizon's advice;

http://www.team-horizon.com/articles...orientation-ht
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting!!!

According to the pictures, I have had my Spektrum antenna improperly positioned since the beginning. I was following the suggestions of other club members who have had Spektrum radios longer than I have. I will pass this on to them.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 PM
boltor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice everyone - will move the remote rx aft (12" or so) and do some testing with a data logger. Might also change the orientation of the remote rx.