Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Buddy Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Buddy Box

Need some help here. I am currently using a DX7 and love it. My wife decided that she wants to learn to fly, so we bought her a DX6i and her plane is set up with the DX6i.

My problem is that the manuals for both radios are a bit "thin" in the buddy-box department. I understand that both radios will need identical sub-trims, dual rates, programming, etc. Here is what I need to know:

1) What is the correct way to set up the "trainer" function in the two radios?

2) What is the correct "start-up" & "shut-down" procedure(s)? (meaning: DX6i power on, then plug in the trainer cord, then plug in the DX7, then turn on DX7, etc)

3) Can I set this up so that she (the student) gets to hold her DX6i during training...or do I have to use it as the instructor...with her holding my DX7?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Buddy Box

With JR/Spektrum radios, you never have to Turn On the Buddy Box. When you plug in the Trainer Cord, it powers up the Buddy Box.

I do not know about the D6XI, but the DX7 has a Trainer Program. You enter the Trainer Program and turn the Trainer Mode On. It will let you know if the Trainer Cord is not connected.

Whenever you use two different types of radios as Master and Slave, there are always some differences you have to adjust for. A D6XI has slightly different programming and one less channel. When you hook up either radio as the Buddy Box, it is best to set the Buddy Box to an Unused Model Memory. When you pull the Trainer Switch on the Master, check out the Slave to see if the Servos are moving in the correct direction. You may have to enable Programs like Flapperon or Programmable Mixes, if they are used on the Master. Sometimes the Trims do not match up and you have to adjust for that.

It is not hard to get the two to work together but unless you use the same Master with the same Buddy Box, you will always have to check everything on the Buddy Box before you fly again. It is always a little bit easier if you use the same type of radio for both Master and Buddy Box.

I had a friend that bought two XP9303 Tx's. He wanted to use one as the Master and one as the Slave, to fly a complex jet using all 9 channels. The manual just said Set one as the Master and one as the Slave. In reality, he had to Copy the Model Memory from the Master to the Slave, set the Slave as the Master, check out all the controls for every channel, make some minor corrections because Copying a Model Memory does not always Copy every parameter perfectly. Once everything worked, he set the Buddy Box back to Slave mode and it worked fine.

The Trainer mode, on the 9303, was designed, primarily, for the 4 main channels. He needed Wheel Brakes, Flaps, Speed Brakes, Retracts, Nose Wheel Steering mixed with Rudder, etc.

If you are only using 4 channels, it is much less complicated to set up, but check everything out. I do not know if the D6XI has to have the Trainer mode turned on, but the manual should tell you. I realize that the manuals can be confusing.