Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 auto shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
smh20502
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 auto shutoff

I'm trying to get a auto shutoff modification for the DX7. Has anyone done this mod yet? I thought that I saw something some time ago but can't find the link anymore.

This should be an easy mod...I'll do it but would rather not go through trial and error if someone already had the bugs worked out.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: DX7 auto shutoff

Can you explain what you mean by "auto shutoff"?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
smh20502

Sure not a problem.

Currently the DX7 will drain a battery if left on. There is a low battery warning that beeps but it's voltage level is to low and shuts down at low voltage not time.

The test is to take the TX and turn it on.....leave it on the bench with the power switch in the on position. The unit will not turn it self off until after the low battery warning beeps. It will drain the battery and if using a lipo conversion, this can be dangerous as it will drain to below 9v. This is an unacceptable design failure.

The appropriate feature would be to power down after say 10 minutes of non gimbal use. Also, the low voltage warning needs to be stepped up to 9v (for those who have lipo conversion). The low voltage warning would be more difficult to modify using DX7 components but a separate system could be installed quite simply.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 31 years of R/C flying, I have never seen this feature incorporated in an R/C radio. Maybe someday. I think, perhaps, that if it shut off the Tx during a flight, there might be a costly law suite. We probably will never see it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
sgillmore

Yeah, I've never seen or heard of that feature either.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 PM
smh20502

Never heard of power save function? Really, your calculator, computer, and a load of other devices have it.

No, it wouldn't shut off during flight...10min of non gimble use. So, you mean to say that there are people that fly for 10min and don't use the sticks? Doubt it. But if so there are other coding that can be incorporated
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
BuschBarber

I have left my Tx on enough times to appreciate the benefit of an Auto Shutoff feature. I was not Knocking the idea, but rather speculating as to why Tx mfg's have never thought to incorporate that feature.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Futaba provides this feature, at least in the ZAP transmitters. I haven't looked to see if it is in the 12FG/Z and higher.

"The Auto-Off function is designed to keep the TX battery from becoming fully discharged if left on accidentally. The delay period until shutdown may be selected from 10 to 40 minutes in ten minute increments, or the power off function may be deactivated." Page 33 of the manual.

Kurt
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 AM
smh20502

yea, I really didn't think that this was "MY" idea. Really just shocked that this electronics standard feature is not on a new TX. Seems to me that it would be on all TX's

Sorry if I thought that you were knocking it. sometimes my responses are a little aggressive in nature. Not intended to be offensive, just...ok sometimes I'm an a*^.

Looks like I'll have to go about this myself. I figured someone surely would have done this mod already. I was hoping I could modify the code that JR/Spektrum uses....looks like it will be easier to add circuitry.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Yep, I've only seen it on the high end Futaba radios but it does exist.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM
smh20502

anyone know what type of signal the DX7 gimbals send? is it analog and then processed through a/d or is it digital out?

yea, I know simple to test. don't have an oscilliscope handy to test

Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
sgillmore

Of course I've heard of auto-shutoff for various devices. I just meant that I had never seen it on a JR/Spektrum TX, which is the only brand I have experience with. I wasn't aware that Futaba offered it on some of their transmitters either. Thanks to these forums, I learn something new almost every day!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM
smh20502

Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion. Went the wrong way on that one. Wow, funny how people just think differently.

Alright, now anyone have any board level electronics experience? If mine was more recent I wouldn't have asked the question. Problem is that I've forgotten 90% of what I used to do in my sleep. Now, I have to actually read and research what I used to just grab parts and wire together.

Lets put it this way. Last time I was any good at working electronics we wire wrapped all test pieces. That or plug-in breadboard.

Now we have software that will do most everything for you. check capacitance, resistance check for cross wiring....
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM
ddaveb

Futaba 12fg has this feature switches off after aperiod if no stick or button is pressed
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 AM
smh20502

I've got a discussion going on rcgroups regarding this modification. It's really quite simple if you know a little bit about electronics and can do simple programming. if you can't then all you have to be able to do is read and learn.

What I'll be doing is taking a pic microcontorller and reading the signals off the gymbals. I could read all switches and buttons too but that would be a little tedious and maybe moot. I can see where the issue would be in programming the dx7 for models so I may end up reading maybe the scroll buttons as well. In either case, shouldn't be difficult.

of course if I always remembered to just turn the switch off the whole idea would be moot...but how many of us never make human errors?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 PM
airbusdrvr

When this thread first started I thought what a dummy. Why doesn't he just turn the transmitter off when he is done flying? Then a couple of days ago I went to charge my JR transmitter and it was dead with the switch on. First time I have ever forgotten it, but I did forget. That is when I said to myself that I was one of those dummies, also.

Now to the circuit design and a thought. Could the programmable circuit being considered not have a failure mode that could shut the transmitter off during use? Some "un thought of" glitch like the early JR/Spektrum low voltage issue. The added circuit would seem like a good idea to prevent inadvertently leaving the transmitter on. However, the new circuit could introduce an unwanted shutdown event.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
smh20502

the only way my circuit would shut down is if you can fly with no stick activity for 5-10 minutes. The time can be programmable....don't know exactly how I'd do it. USB port would be the easiest but then I'd have to incorporate a usb unit. Could also be programmed via stick movement.... Don't really know yet.

Yep, what you mentioned is exactly what happened to me which started this thread. Except I was on my way to the field...
I had been programming the tx the night before...got distracted because of some honeydew item....forgot to turn off the tx. So, needless to say, I missed a flying day.

Shutting off in the middle of flight is the most common complaint that I've heard of. So far it's been only by those that don't understand the technology.

One reason that I just haven't done it is because there is someone that may be making a unit that is basically plug and play. If his unit isn't out soon, I'll go ahead with mine.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
BuschBarber

When you say "Someone is making a unit", do you mean an Add On to any Tx, such as a JR 9303?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
smh20502

the one that I'm thinking of is specific only to dx7. The one that I want to do would be for all tx's...if the gimbals are analog.