Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 9303 QUESTION

Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9303 QUESTION

I have a new JR 9303 just bought it about a week ago it's the 72mhZ version. This is kind of hard to explain so maybe someone will know what I'm talking about. I noticed when you turn the radio off that it would show a black line on the display just for a second that would stretch from side to side then it would go away Is this normal?? Also when you turn it on it does sorta the same thing. Its not an instant on off which to me seems like it should be. I also notice on the charger that when I pluged up the receiver batt for the 1st time the red light on the charger came on but after adout an hour it went out and will not come back on with the battery pluged in. I also charged the battery like stated in the book for 24h for the first charge and about 15h after.I noticed the battery didnt last long so I charged it up again and it still only last around maybe 2h with a full charge as I wasnt trying to fly it but was setting up my heli. Do I have a bad radio?? What do I need to do?? Like I said I bought the radio new from Amain hobby not a week ago.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: JR 9303 QUESTION

The line on the radio screen is normal. Remember that these are computer radios, just like the computer at your house, the need to boot up and log off when you power up and power down. it is not instant like the non-computer radios.

You might have a defective charger if the light goes out a short time after you plug in the battery. I threw away my wall wart and use a triton or a supernova to charge my batteries. That way I know exactly how many milliamps the battery took in.

Rafael
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
bckyrdbshr

Thank's Rafael... I feel much better now knowing its normal... I can handle the bad charger, it does like you say it comes on for about an hour andthen goes out, the light is dim compared to the the TX light on the charger. What about the TX battery it seems like it runs down pretty fast is this normal or you think I might have a defective battery?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen the light go out on Wall Wort chargers. They don't have Smart Circuitry that detects the battery condition. It may be defective and overheating, internally, although, I don't think they have circuit breakers, either.
Does it do the same thing when it is plugged into the Tx charge socket? Do you plug it in to the Charge Jack on the aircraft or directly into the Rx Battery Lead?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 AM
bckyrdbshr

Does not do it when plugged up to the TX. I plug the RX batt directly to the charger no charge jack plug up the batt light comes on but very, very dim, in about 30 min to an hour the light will go out on the RX.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
BuschBarber

Have you tried it with other batteries? If not, could it be the connector on your battery or the connector on the charger? If the light is stable and stays on for about the same amount of time, I would suspect that the charger is defective. You can usually pick up wall wort chargers very cheap or the mfg might even replace it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
bckyrdbshr

I'm kind of thinking it might be the charger. I dont have another batt to try but it does the same thing when you plug it up. It will show to be charging then in about an hour the light will go out on the charger everytime. The RX light was never as brite as the TX light on the charger when you where charging both.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
LouisB

Just remember the face about @rse way JR has connected the wiring to the charging plug. Measure the voltage of your current JR charger at the charger plug without plugging it into the radio and make a specific note of where you measured the + voltage and - voltage, even if the readings are low. After you got your new non-JR charger and you solder the old plug on just ensure that you measure the same polarities as before.

I have bridged the diode on the tx pcb and now use my Hyperion charger to sort things out for me after a day's flying about.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
BuschBarber

It is my understanding that you no longer have to Bridge the Diode to use a Digital Voltmeter or a Cycling Charger with newer Tx's like the 9303? Is that still true?

I used to do that with my older Futaba Tx's.

I use 3cell LiPos, with Balancing Taps, in all my Tx's, including my two XP9303's. I charge them Externally, with an FMA Cellpro charger.

When I used NiMh batteries, I used Triton chargers which detected Reverse Polarity, if I plugged the charger into the Tx incorrectly. Obviously, this is not so with the Wall Wort chargers.