Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Screen freak out- JR6102

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM
wingbeat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screen freak out- JR6102

Installed a rubber antenna on my 6102.
Turn it on.
Works normal.
I go into programming mode, and a few seconds later the screen starts to freak, flicker, display gibberish.
I can't program it.
Back into flying mode- seems to work ok, but I wouldn't dare try to fly anything!

Everything worked fine before I put the antenna in.
Are these antennas incompatible with JRs?
I did have to solder a pigtail on the Tx antenna wire.
Maybe I shorted something out?

Not sure if I inadvertently screwed something up during the install, or if it's simply the antenna.

thank you for any advise, help.
Yes- I realize the flexi antenna is not manufacturers recommendation!
The radio is several years old, so there's no warranty that I know.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Screen freak out- JR6102

I have not used a Rubber Ducky Antenna on any of my Tx's, but I know that JR offers one for the XP9303. I have the metal collapsing antenna for one XP9303 and the Spektrum Module for the other.

One thing you can try is to plug the JR Trainer Cable into the Trainer Jack on the back your Tx. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 1/8th" Mono Jack and use that with my JR radios when I need to play with the Programming. When you plug in the Trainer Cord or this Mono Jack, it turns on the Display, but it does not feed power to the RF section of the Tx as long as the Power Switch is turned Off.

This comes in handy when you want to spend an extended period of time Programming the Tx because the Tx is not Transmitting and it only uses 50mah vs 200mah when the Switch is turned on.

In your case, it will turn on the Display without any of the RF section, including the Antenna, being involved. This may help you diagnose where the problem is.

Be sure not to turn on the Switch, but just plug in the Trainer Cord or the 1/8" jack.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
wingbeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Screen freak out- JR6102

Thanks for that advice.
I was hoping to use this radio as a trainer and needed to pick up that cord anyway.
I'll give it a try this week.

I posted over on another group. Members there also suggest it is probably not the antenna, but perhaps a bit of solder spatter I didn't see.
I sure hope I can fix the 6102- I've always liked it for it's simplicity, have never had problems with it, and it works great... up until now!