Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 binding issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
mogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 binding issues?

I have a 9303 2.4 and am using it with both JR and Spectrum Rx's. The problem is when I switch on the radio..Tx. 1st., Rx. next the servos all seem to go to full travel and when the system binds all go back to neutral. Is this normal? I have no issues as far as range etc. I am sure it is probably something I am doing(or not doing) with the binding process. I thought I followed the procedure as layed out in the manual.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Planecrazy232
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 9303 binding issues?

Are you using digital or analog servos? This will happen with analogs.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
mogman

I am using analogs. So this is normal and nothing to be concerned about?

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Watch for binding but yes it happens. I have analogs in a scale sailplane and I always have to make sure I pick it up because the gear tries to cycle when I power it up.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Planecrazy232
My Feedback: (2)

Well, it's not the greatest thing for the gears if they forcefully go to the stops each time. It becomes an issue for some guys with analogs on landing gear valves, which makes the plane do a belly flop upon power-up.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
mogman

Thanks, guys. I'll just have to live with it.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

After you set all of your travel adjustments,. sub trim..etc.
Rebind the receiver and you will get rid of your problem.

Codimasta
AMA 11269[8D]
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Codimasta is correct. But one more thing to keep in mind is that before you rebind, be sure all the levers, sticks, and switches are in the correct positions. For Smart failsafe, the receiver remembers these settings (except for the throttle) and commands the servos to these positions during the period it is trying to link to the transmitter. After the link is established, the servos go to the positions that is on the transmitter at that particular time.

While some analog will twitch, the only time I found them to go hard over was on my pattern plane that I had initially forgotten to bind the receiver with the wheels down. When I rebound the receiver with the gear extended, the problem was fixed.

Allan
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 AM
mogman

I've re-bound after all trims etc. It makes no difference. I should point out, although it shouldn't make any difference, this is in a 1/2 scale plane. It was originall set up with each half of the plane having it's own rx, sw, batt etc. When I changed to 2.4 I kept the same arrangement.. each side of the plane has it's own rx etc. Everything works ok with the exception of mainly the elevator servos going full down when the radio is first turned on, and all go back to neutral when the bind takes place. Failsafe is set to throttle to idle and all else last pos. I can't seem to set the failsafe to ele, rud and ail to neutral.

The same thing happens with three other planes using the same 9303 2.4 radio.

It's getting late here so I will play around with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, gents. I am sure we will be able to sort it out.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
AWorrest

Dave,

What receivers and what model of servos are you using on the elevators?

Allan
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM
mogman

Hi Allan.
I am using spectrum ar7000 and hitec 705 servos.Dave.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yep, does it to me on an AR9000

Coda, don't you think the re-binding thing occured to me?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
AWorrest

ORIGINAL: mogman

Hi Allan.
I am using spectrum ar7000 and hitec 705 servos.Dave.
Dave,

If only the elevators have the 705's, I would suggest that you try another servo, preferably a different brand. It seems some analog servos have more of a problem than others. For a good part of a year I flew an AR7000 in one pattern plane with JR4131's. The next year I used the same receiver in another plane with Hitec HS-65's. They may have twitched when the system was turned on, but not enough to have been noticed. When this subject first came up about six months ago, I thought it was a lot of hooey. But I tried my receiver with an analog servo model that I hadn't used and the twitch was more severe.

I doubt rebinding will help as you may have accidentally held the elevator stick over the first time the system was bound. You would have not done that repeatedly. You might see if your receiver has Preset Failsafe. Even if it does, it may not help. It is an undocumented feature of the AR7000 that has been reported to be present in the newer AR7000 receivers. After I had mine upgraded, I found it to be there. To get Preset Failsafe you simply remove the receiver binding plug before pressing the bind button on the transmitter. If the receiver led continues to blink after the bind plug is removed and then goes solid when the transmitter button is pushed, your receiver probably has Preset. With Preset, a signal lost will cause the throttle and all other controls will go to whatever position the sticks were at the time of binding.

Allan
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I wasn't sure about the new AR-7000's having the pre-set failsafe like the 9 channel rx's and I use reduced throttle with last commanded position for the other servos, so I never checked my AR-7000's when they came back from the Quick Connect firmware update.

On the servo deflection at power up issue;

From what I've been able to find and I've not checked it with my Hitec programmer, the 9 channel and above rx's have a brief signal generated at powerup in the 700 pulse range. This does not cause any issue with digital servos, but the analogs seem to have an issue with it and as Alan said, some brands are worse than others most notably Hitec from what I've seen. There has been some speculation that this has something to do with the setup trying to determine if it's running a 2048 resolution capable rx or one that's only capable of 1024, but I've never seen anyone "officially" say what causes the problem or why that pulse is generated on initial powerup of the rx. I've also never seen it reported on the 7 channel rx's for planks (1024 resolution) and don't know if the AR-7100's for heli's do the same thing since they are 2048 capable as I don't spend much time on the heli forums looking for stuff on the AR-7100's.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
LouisB

On my E-Flite mini Pulse XT with an AR6100 RX I forgot to return the flap switch to level. Turn on the TX, turn on the RX, servos twitched and stripped the gears on the aileron servos. Great!