Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Operation

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Operation

if your speed controller is adjustable change the cut off to a higher voltage , you could also try a capacitor on the receiver these are small and could help in a short term overload on the battery
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
D4379

As far as I know it is not.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

This may or may not be your problem, but I have noted the flashing receiver lights when trying to connect tight fitting Deans connectors. Basically the connection is made then broken while trying to connect. The receiver thinks it has lost power and warns with the flashing lights.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM
D4379

That is what is happening, the deans connectors are hard to put together.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Thats easy to do with Deans connectors.

The other thing I was thinking of, you didn't mistakenly leave the bind plug in the reciever did you?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
D4379

No the escapement goes into the batt terminal. I am thinking of getting a bit of electrical grease to ease getting the battery in and out of the deans connectors.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
cbreeze
My Feedback: (26)

Greetings,

I just noticed this thread because I am experiencing the same problem with my new plane and DX7. I found this thread searching for a fix. This is what is happening to me. I am flying a PA Ultimate AMR electric.

I set up and bind my receiver as per the instructions. A test reveals that all is fine. Next day I go out and make one flight and all is fine with solid lights. For my second flight I install a new battery and get flashing lights. A check of the controls reveal that they appear to be working. Not knowing if it is safe to fly with flashing lights I go home and start experimenting. I take a battery that is fresh off of a charge and install which results is solid receiver lights which is supposed to be normal. I take another battery that is several hours off of a charge and install which results in blinking lights.

I read through this thread and noted that someone mentioned that if you change your transmitter settings this would be a possible cause for the blinking lights. Well on the first flight I had to make a trim change with the elevator and ailerons. This might be a possible cause but this doesn't make sense if everytime you make a trim or other change you get blinking lights and have to bind again to get solid.

Does anyone have an updated answer to this problem? Also, is it safe under the above stated conditions to fly with blinking lights? My instints tell me no. Gonna call Horizon tomorrow to see what they say.

Thanks,

Chuck B.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The Quick Connect firmware causes the rx to come back online using the same two frequencies it was on when it lost power either to you changing a battery or a lower power brownout in flight. It will continue to come on with flashing lights until you cycle the power on the tx and cause two new frequencies to be selected and the rx linked.

Did you turn off the tx while changing batteries?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
BarracudaHockey

I read through this thread and noted that someone mentioned that if you change your transmitter settings this would be a possible cause for the blinking lights. Well on the first flight I had to make a trim change with the elevator and ailerons. This might be a possible cause but this doesn't make sense if everytime you make a trim or other change you get blinking lights and have to bind again to get solid.
Completely false.

Flying with blinking lights is safe, you have full control. However, if you take off with blinking lights and land with blinking lights you will never know if you had a power problem in flight.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
cbreeze

Called Horizon and this is the response to my blinking light question.

Blinking lights can be caused by the following: brown out or voltage drop, change in settings on the aircraft profile, sparks when connecting the deans. Anything other than a basic change in the profile (expo change for example) requires a rebind. It appears that my blinking lights were caused by the sparking that almost always occurs when connecting the deans. I am going to look for a better way. The solution to this problem is swap batteries with the tx off. This goes contrary to my training but that is what ya gotta do. If you have a voltage drop and get blinkers when you land you reset the system by turning the receiver on first then the transmitter which will result in solid lights and no rebind necessary. I did test this in my basement and seems to have solved the problem. This is per their customer service tech.

Doing a little search revelaed that this is a common question out there is chat room land. I did find the same explanation/solution on that "other forum."

Hope this helps all with the same question.

Chuck B.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Anything other than a basic change in the profile (expo change for example) requires a rebind"

We need to get Spektrum to start writing decent manuals - is this ever mentioned? Or little things like the AR9100 requiring all 3 remotes to be installed to function? I'll subcontract my wienerdog out for this - it'd be an improvement....
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
cbreeze

Oldfart1,

From one old fart to another, I completely agree. The manual is very, very lacking in details. BTW, just came back from the field. Changed batteries with the transmitter off. No more blinking lights. Everything is fine now.

Chuck B.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

the AR9100 requiring all 3 remotes to be installed to function?
[X(] I did not know that[X(]

Chuck, do you know the reason for this?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
cbreeze

Sorry but I can't help you with that one. That receiver isn't in my arsenol yet.

Chuck
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
BarracudaHockey

No, it works just fine with one satilite receiver
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: vasek

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

the AR9100 requiring all 3 remotes to be installed to function?
[X(] I did not know that[X(]

Chuck, do you know the reason for this?
I've not actually tried either one of my PowerSafe rx's with fewer than 4 satellites (they're all capable of running 4) so I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking they'll need at least two satellites connected since there is no receiver inside the main unit. I have an AR-9100 as well as an R-1222 so I'll speak to those specifically; the AR-9100 comes with 3 satellites and I think that's true of the R-922 as well. The R-1222 comes with 4 satellites.

Now if it's true that the AR-9100 must have 3 satellite rx's connected to work, that would actually be the same as say an AR-9000/R921 since those have two receivers inside the main unit and require at least 1 satellite to work so you've got 3 receivers total.

BarracudaHockey may have got a PowerSafe rx to work with only one satellite, I may have to go play with one of 'em just to find out as I'm kind of curious now..

All the other Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx's which have the capability of running 1 or more satellites must have at least 1 connected to operate. Now I have seen guys post than the AR-6200 will run without a satellite; all I can say about that is that it's not supposed to work that way and I've not tried my 6200 without a satellite rx. All of the rx's with satellites are supposed to keep working once linked if the satellite rx becomes disconnected as a safety feature, but they're not supposed to link without that satellite connected.

If you've got say an AR-9000/R921 which can run 2 satellites, then they will work with 1 satellite or 2, but if you're running only one satellite and add the second you must re-bind with both satellites connected or it will not be recognized.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

interesting Zeeb,

so what's the deal with AR5000? no satellites but 2 rx"s in the main unit

I was wondering if they're good enough for sailplanes (need extra long reach)?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry, my bad! I read 9100 and my brain said AR9000

I've not used a 9100 so disregard my response.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: vasek

interesting Zeeb,

so what's the deal with AR5000? no satellites but 2 rx''s in the main unit

I was wondering if they're good enough for sailplanes (need extra long reach)?
Can't help you with the 500 as I've not even held one let alone used one. It's supposed to be a full range rx and that has something to do with the different antenna setup. I'm guessing it's got two rx's inside the main unit like an AR-9000/R921 does, but that's only a guess.

For a sailplane, you may want to look at that one they came out with specifically for sailplanes which is designed to get the antennas outside of carbon fiber fuselages. Sorry but I don't remember the model number...