Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
tvolfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 flaperons

Using my DX7 and 7-channel receiver, I'm having trouble setting my plane up for flaperons. I followed the manual instructions (aileron channel to right aileron, AUX 1 to left aileron. Enable FLAPERON), but when I do it that way the aileron chanel operates the flap action and the 3-position switch works the ailerons (wow! neutral and full travel one way or the other!). I'm feeling a bit stupid for not being able to figure this out. I've searched the forums, but nothing like it is mentioned. Someone please give me the (hopefully simple) fix.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
alan0899

Default RE: DX7 flaperons

G'day Mate,
Have a look here, http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm
You need to "INH" the flap trim & flap switch.
It's easy, when you know how, ha ha.
But until then it's very frustrating, I know, I've been there.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
tvolfan

Thanks for the response, Alan. Unfortunately, it doesn't help. INH the switch only stops the "flap" switch from doing anything while the aileron stick still moves the ailerons together like flaps. I don't know what INH the flap trim accomplishes. I put them back the way they were. I still have ailerons that work on the flap switch and flaps that respond to aileron inputs. Any other ideas? Or did I still not follow instructions as intended?

BTW, the web reference didn't help. I couldn't find a reference to simple flaperons.

John
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Cherokee Flyer

reverse one of the channels, they are moving the same way. Then look at the setting on the flap page and they will be set at +100 at one position, 0 at the middle one and - 100 on the last. Take them to 0 and work from there by changing just the middle position until you understand it.

L.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
tvolfan

I've got the flap increments worked out on the flap page, no problem. Reversing the channels still doesn't correct the fact that the right stick still operates the "flaps" (same direction on both surfaces) and the three-position switch moves the "ailerons" (oposite directions). I've tried swapping the connectors to the opposite wings - no solution. What can I try next? I can't help but think that this looks like a software problem in the "flaperon" program in the transmitter. But why would I be having a difficulty that hasn"t been noted by others?

Still need help.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Cherokee Flyer

Contact Horizon Monday!!

L.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM
tvolfan

My apologies to Cherokee flyer. I just reversed the flap channel and everything works! Right directions and everything. I was thinking too much instead of following directions. Thanks Cherokee Flyer!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 AM
tea007

I am try to do the same thing. How do you set the DX7 so that it will do the aileron and flaps? Do you tie to the elevator movements?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 AM
snuts

Try this.
First, the rx connections:

1. right side Aileron into AIL channel
2. Left side aileron into AUX 2 channel
3. Flap into Flap channel (AUX 1)
4. Rudder, elevator and Throttle into the normal channels

TX program

1. Go into the Set-up mode (hold down scroll and select keys while turning on tx)
2. scroll to the Input Select screen
3. Set Aux2 to INH, AUX2 TRIM to INH, FLAP to SYSTEM (should be default) , FLAP TRIM to INH
This turns off AUX 2 channel from the lever.
4. do NOT activate Flapperon in wing type. This must be OFF.

Aileron Set up
1. Power off tx and turn back on. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to P-mix 6. Set AILE as master and AUX2 as slave. Set the mix values to 100% in both stick directions.
3. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the right side aileron with AILE channel and the neutral for the left side aileron with AUX2. (if the direction of one or both of the ailerons is backwards, first go to the REVERSING SW screen and reverse the apropriate channel (either 2, 7 or both)
4. Scroll to Travel Adjust. Set the desired travel for the right side aileron with the AILE adjustment.
5. Scroll back to P-Mix 6 and tweak the travel of the left side aileron to match the right side with the mix values by increasing or decreasing from 100%, for each stick direction.

Flap Set-up
1. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the flaps with FLAP channel.
3. Scroll to FLAP SYS. screen. Set the desired travel for each of the 3 Flap switch positions. You can also set any elevator compensation for each of the 3 flap positions here. (typically it would be 0 for the neutral position and then tweak in what is needed after you test fly for the mid and full flap positions.)

That should do it.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM
tea007

My 4-site receiver is 6 channels only. It does has separate servo for each aileron. So all I need to do is Setup the AR6400L to Left Aileron servo to AUX1 channel. All setup is done on the Radio, right? How do I setup the Flap into Flap channel on the receiver?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Flaps still plug into the Flap Channel (Ch6).

Since you have a 6ch Rx, you would need to use the Gear Ch5 for Left Aileron.

If you have Retracts, and need Ch5 for that, then I would suggest purchasing a JR Matchbox, connecting both Aileron servos to that, and plugging the Matchbox into the Aileron channel. The Matchbox allows you to connect up to 4 servos to one channel. For each servo, you can adjust Neutral, End Points, and Servo Direction. There are two buttons and a dial on the Matchbox.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
tea007

You miss understood what I am do. The micro 4-site do not have flaps. It only has 2 Ailerons with 2 separate servos. I want it to act as Flaps using DX7 radio. The plane has 2 separate Servos for each aileron. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM
BuschBarber

I am sorry!!I misunderstood your question. I was looking at the post from snuts and I thought you had separate Flaps. I then realized you had a 4Site Bipe.

For Flapperon setup, your Right Aileron servo is connected to Ch2 (Aileron channel) and your Left Aileron servo is connected to Ch6 (Aux1 or Flap channel). You need to set the Wing Type to Flapperon. This will mix Ch2 and Ch6 as Ailerons and also as Flaps. If the Ailerons move in the wrong directions, then you need to go into the Reverse Program and correct the servo direction. The Flap program should be set to System.

Flap Set-up
1. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the flaps with FLAP channel.
3. Scroll to FLAP SYS. screen. Set the desired travel for each of the 3 Flap switch positions. You can also set any elevator compensation for each of the 3 flap positions here. (typically it would be 0 for the neutral position and then tweak in what is needed after you test fly for the mid and full flap positions.)
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
tea007

I am unable to program the AR6400L receiver on the plane to change Chl 6 to Rev Chl 2 for Dual Aileron. I followed the instruction on the manual but not success. The LED on the receiver goes not flash 3 times to confirm.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 AM
tea007

I find out the hard way for the Stick Programming of the Receiver. I try many times and not work. I finally realize that you need to set the Aileron and Elevator travel rate to 100% with no D/R. If not when you move the AILE/ELEV stick all the way to the bottom left max it will not reach the max value and the programming on the Receiver will not work. Though you all might want to know.. I will try to fly sometimes this week to see how it fly since I just got it and never flown it yet
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM
BuschBarber

That AR6400L is a strange Rx. Here is the manual:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...0-L-Manual.pdf

It looks like you have to hold the sticks in a certain position and then plug in the Rx battery to enable Dual Ailerons.

With most Rx's, you would need to go into the DX7 Setup Screen and set Wing Type to Flapperons, but I am not sure you need to do that with this Rx. There are specific instructions, in the manual, for using this Rx with a DX7.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM
ronsouthall

is there anyone out there that as managed to programe a DX7 with 7channel receiver for quad flaps and able to do the crow as in the great planes ultra stick 60
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
snuts

Here you go. The 7202 grew up to become the DX7, same program.
Start with a fresh model. That means a full model reset! before you start.

Programming Guide for the JR XP7202 for the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick
To start with, plug your servos into the correct channels. Below is a listing of what servo to plug
into each channel. You will need a 7 -channel receiver to use the full set up that the 7202 is capable of
doing with the Ultra Stick.

Ch. 1 Throttle
Ch. 2 Right Aileron
Ch. 3 Elevator
Ch.4 Rudder
System Set-Up Mode

Ch.5 Left Aileron (Listed as Gear Channel on Receiver)
Ch.6 Right Flap (Listed as Aux 1 on Receiver)
Ch.7 Left Flap (Listed as Aux 2 on Receiver)

To begin setting up the transmitter, press and hold the down and select keys, and turn the 7202
on, then release the down and select keys.
Model Selection
Press the up or down key until Model Select is on the top of the screen, and select the model you want
the ultra stick on by pressing the increase or decrease key.
Model Reset
Press the up key and scroll through the menu options until you get to Model Reset. With the arrow
pointing at data reset, press the clear key.
Model Type Selection
Press the down key until you get to the Type Select function. Press the increase or decrease button until
the arrow points at ACRO. If you change this from heli, it will then request you to press the clear key to
say yes to change the model type.
Modulation Selection
Set the modulation as needed to match your receiver by pressing the up key to get to the Modulation
function, and select the modulation needed by pressing the increase or decrease keys.
Input Select Set Up
Press the up key until you get to the Input Select function. With the arrow pointing at Aux2, press the
increase key until it says INH next to Aux2. Press the select key and the arrow should now point at

Aux2 Trim, this should say INH, if it does not, press the increase key until it does. Press the select key
again and the arrow should point at Flap. This should say SYSTEM, if it says something else, press the
increase key until this says SYSTEM. Press the select key, and the arrow should now point at flap trim.
Press the increase key to set this to INH
This completes the system set up mode, press the down and select keys to exit the system mode. Do not
activate flaperon in the wing type menu for this set up. All settings in the wing type menu will remain at
the default setting of OFF.
Function Mode
Next we will set up the function mode oftransmitter. When you first turn the system on, the system will
request you to confirm the channel of operation by pressing the clear key. Once you have confirmed the
proper channel and have insured that no one else is on your frequency, press the clear key to use the
system. Press the up and select keys together to enter the function list. After completing each step
below, press the up and select keys to get back to the function list. To enter a function below from the
list on the system, press the down and select keys together with the arrow pointing at that function.
Dual Aileron Set Up
To set up the dual ailerons, we will set up a program mix. We will use program mix 5 for this purpose.
Enter program mix 5. Press the increase key until the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key
to make the arrow point at the second channel, then press the increase key until the second channel says
GEAR. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the
increase key until the percentage says + 1 00%. Then hold right aileron and press the increase key until
the second percentage says + 100% as well. Both values should say + 100%. Next to SW on the screen it
should say ON. If it says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW,
and press the increase key until it says ON.
Dual Flap Set Up
To set up the dual flaps, we will set up a program mix. We will use program mix 6 for this purpose.
Enter program mix 6. Press the increase key until the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select
key to make the arrow point at the second channel, then press the increase key until the second channel
says AUX2. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then press the increase key until the
percentage says + 100%. Then flip the flap switch until the arrow moves to the second mix value, and
press the increase key until the second percentage says + 100% as well. Both values should say + 100%.
Next to SW on the screen it should say ON, if it says something other than ON, press the select key to
make the arrow point at SW, and press the increase key until it says ON.
Dual Rates and Expo
Set your Dual Rates and Expo as you desire. Enter the D/R & EXP function. Set these as desired.
Always use a positive value for expo, as a negative value will make the control response more sensitive
around center and could cause you to over control the plane and crash. 30 percent expo on aileron, and

- -~-.- __ .. _-
25% on elevator and rudder is recommended to start with. Set your low rates around 70% to start with,
and change to your tastes.
Servo Reversing
Set your servo reversing correctly so that each surface goes the correct direction. Do this by entering the
REV SW. function. Press select to choose the channel to reverse if needed, and press increase or
decrease to reverse the current channel selected. If the flaps go up with the flap switch in the down or
LAND position, reverse the direction of channel 6 (FLAP) and/or channel 7 (AUX 2). In most cases in
this set up, channel 7 or aux 2 will need to be reversed.
Sub Trims
Set the sub trims as required leveling the control surfaces. Do so by entering the SUB TRIM function.
Press select to choose the channel to adjust, and press increase or decrease to adjust as necessary. Try to
keep these as close to zero as possible. Using too much sub trim can result in running out of travel on
the servos, and the possibility of over-driving the servos.
Travel Adjustment
Set the travel adjustments such that you get the control movements required. To adjust this, enter the
TRA V ADJ. Function. Consult your Ultra Stick manual for the required control surface travels. You
may need to use 1" long servo arms to achieve the maximum travels listed in the manual. Try to use as
high a travel adjustment value possible to achieve the throws so that you use as much of the servos
travel as possible. Press the select key until you get to the GEAR channel, then press the decrease key
until the travel of the gear is 0%, then flip the gear switch to the other switch position, and repeat,
making the travel adjust in both switch positions 0% for the gear channel. This will inhibit the gear
switch from affecting your ailerons.
Elevator to Flap Mixing
Enter the EL->FL function. Press the Select key until the arrow points at SW, and then press the
increase key until this says MIX next to SW. Now press the select key until the arrow points at RATE,
hold down elevator and press increase until the D value is set to about 35 percent. If the flaps go down
with down elevator, reverse the value from +35 to -35 or vice versa. Now hold up elevator press the
increase key until you get to about 35 percent. If the flaps go up, reverse the value from +35 to -35 or
vice versa. This will give you flaps mixed to the elevator for tight loops, etc.
Flap System
Enter the FLAP SYS function. Press the select key until the arrow points at the UP flap value. Press the
decrease key until this says U 50%. Adjusting this value will adjust how far the flaps will go in the
center position, though you can also make small adjustments to the MID position next to flaps later for
final set up. Center the flap servos after setting this position, with the switch all the way up. This is
done so that you will not run out oftravel for aileron to flap mixing for fast rolls. Next press select until
the arrow points at the flap setting in the LAND position, press the increase or decrease value to adjust

~-.-
this value, you will set this value as needed to get the flap travel needed with the switch in the land
position. Next press select so that the arrow points at the ELEV value for the LAND position. Press the
increase or decrease value as needed to get roughly ¼” down elevator with the switch in the LAND
position.
Aileron to Flap Mixing
The aileron to flap mixing will require 2 programmable mixes. We will use mix 1 and 2 for this set up.
The first mix will be an aileron to flap mix, and the second will be an aileron to aux 2 mix. The value of
the aileron to aux 2 mix must be exactly double but opposite of the value in the aileron to flap mix. The
travel of the flaps as ailerons will not be as much as the travel of the ailerons themselves. This will still
increase the roll rate of your ultra stick however.
To set up the first mix, we will use program mix 1. Enter program mix 1. Press the increase key until
the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel,
and then press the increase key until the second channel says FLAP. Press the select key to make the
arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the increase key until the percentage says +62%.
Then hold right aileron and press the increase key until the second percentage says +62% as well. Both
values should say +62%. Next press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the
increase key until the screen says MIX next to SW.
To set up the second mix needed for the aileron to flap mixing, we will use program mix 2. Enter
program mix 2. Press the increase key until the first channel says AILE. Then press the select key to
make the arrow point at the second channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel
says AUX2. Press the select key to make the arrow point at RATE, then hold left aileron and press the
increase key until the percentage says -124% (value double but opposite of the previous mix). Then
hold right aileron and press the increase key until the second percentage says -124% as well. Both
values should say -124%. Next press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the
increase key until the screen says MIX next to SW.
Flap to Aileron Mixing
The flap to aileron mixing will require 2 programmable mixes. We will use mix 3 and 4 for this set up.
The first mix will be a flap to aileron mix, and the second will be a flap to gear mix. The value of the
flap to gear mix must be exactly double but opposite of the value in the flap to aileron mix. These mixes
will set up the "crow" function on the LAND flap switch position.
To set up the first mix, we will use program mix 3. Enter program mix 3. Press the increase key until
the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second channel,
and then press the increase key until the second channel says AILE. Press the select key until the arrow
points at OFFSET. Press the decrease key until it says -50 next to OFFSET. Press the select key until
the arrow points at RATE, then flap the flap switch into the LAND position, then press the decrease key
until the percentage says -30% (adjust this percentage as necessary to get the ailerons to move as
"spoilers" %" up, keeping in mind that the value of this program mix must by half the value and
opposite of the value in the next mix, program mix 4). Next to SW on the screen it should say ON. If it

says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press the
increase key until it says ON.
To set up the second mix, we will use program mix 4. Enter program mix 4. Press the increase key
until the first channel says FLAP. Then press the select key to make the arrow point at the second
channel, and then press the increase key until the second channel says GEAR. Press the select key until
the arrow points at OFFSET. Press the decrease key until it says -50 next to OFFSET. Press the select
key until the arrow points at RATE, then flap the flap switch into the LAND position, then press the
increase key until the percentage says +60% (adjust this percentage as necessary to get the ailerons to
move as "spoilers" %" up, keeping in mind that the value of this program mix must by double the value
and opposite of the value in the previous mix, program mix 3). Next to SW on the screen it should say
ON. If it says something other than ON, press the select key to make the arrow point at SW, and press
the increase key until it says ON.

Now do a re-bind to save all the settings as failsafe.
-Snuts-
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
ronsouthall

Thanks Snuts followed your instructions now fully fuctional.

Thanks again
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

I guess you have too much info...may I make a suggestion .... go to your model reset and reset the channel.
The following is for dual ailerons without flaperons.
Try this:
1. Go to the Set-up mode (Hold down Scroll and Select keys while turning on)
2. Scroll to the Input Select screen
3. Set AUX#2 to INH, AUX#2 Trim to INH, Flap to System(should be default), Flap trim to INH,
This turns off AUX#2 channel from the lever
DX7 DUAL AILERONS AND DUAL FLAPS
4. Do not activate Flaperons. It must be OFF

Aileron Setup
1. Power off the TX and turn on. Go to normal
programming
2. Scroll to Pmix #6. Set Aileron as master and
AUX#2 as slave. Set mix levels at 100%
(This requires movement of the Aileron Stick)
3. Set the Sub trims on the aileron and aux#2 to
match each other.
5. Scroll to Travel Adjust and set the desired
Travel for the right aileron and left aileron
(AUX#2)
6. If the ailerons are backward..go the reverse
Switches and correct

Codimasta
AMA 11269