Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum dx7 lost bind today

Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM
jerrya
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum dx7 lost bind today

Need some advice. I was flying my Kaos 40 today with my DX7 radio. Had 2 uneventful flights, gassed up for a third and found the radio was non -functional when cut back on. Transmitter had 10.1 volts, airborne battery had 5.1 volts under load. Flying alone at the time, no other radios around. Turned the switches on/off several times, nothing. This radio has 90 trouble free flights on it in this plane.

Got home and followed the instructions to bind the system again. The bind was sucessful, and now everything seems to work normally.

Has anyone had these radios to unbind themselves in this manner? Could this happen while flying? Do I have a problem or should I go back to flying it it range checks out ok?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM
snuts

Default RE: Spektrum dx7 lost bind today

Are you using a switch that could have initiated a binding process? Or do you have the data/bind port brought out to the exterior? I'm thinking that the bind pins could have made contact, initiating a new bind.
Lets see what others have to add.
-Snuts-
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One problem I have seen recently is that the Bind Button, on the DX7 Tx, sticks out too far. One day this week, I was preparing to fly and I leaned the DX7 against the side of a wood Flight Stand. As I prepared to start the aircraft, I realized the Tx/Rx had lost it's Bind. I ReBound the Tx to the Rx and laid the Tx down in the same spot. Again, the Bind was lost. I finally realized that the side of the wood Flight Stand was pushing in on the Bind Button.

This is just one example of how to accidentally UnBind the Tx/Rx.

Sometimes, turning on the Rx before the Tx can lose a Bind.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

One problem I have seen recently is that the Bind Button, on the DX7 Tx, sticks out too far. One day this week, I was preparing to fly and I leaned the DX7 against the side of a wood Flight Stand. As I prepared to start the aircraft, I realized the Tx/Rx had lost it's Bind. I ReBound the Tx to the Rx and laid the Tx down in the same spot. Again, the Bind was lost. I finally realized that the side of the wood Flight Stand was pushing in on the Bind Button.

This is the first time I've heard this theory. It has something to it. Maybe Spektrum should have the bind button kept locked under a cap.

Good theory, BuschBarber. It bears looking into. Could explain many of the hard-to-explain "suddenly unbound" situations.

Jimbo
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks!! Normally, the handle on the DX7 would keep the button from being depressed if the Tx was laid on a flat surface. I was thinking of putting a Cap over the Bind Button and using Velcro to hold it on. I was also thinking of hooking a wire, with a loop on one end, to the Trainer Switch, and hanging it down the back of the Tx so I could pull it with one of my fingers so I could keep my Thumb on the Rudder/Throttle Stick when Training someone. The Trainer Switch is located in an awkward spot on the Dx7.

I have a Spektrum module for my XP9303. The Bind Button is much smaller and is closer to the back of the Tx. It is much more difficult to accidentally depress the Bind Button on that Tx.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

This is very plausible. The exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. After using my DX7 for almost two straight flying seasons with no problem, my heli would loose bind every time I turned it on. I was at a different field and their starting stands were just a little different. The way I laid the DX7 across the stand it was pressing the bind button.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Wow. Two of the same thing, right out of the blue.

Half the claims I've heard don't make any sense. But this seems plausible.

Could explain why some of the claims were bunched at certain fields but the reason wasn't confirmed.

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2009, 09:10 AM
onewasp

Small point of order: You do NOT "lose" bind.
Link can be lost from power outage etc. But not bind which is the GUID .
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM
BuschBarber

If you have to ReBind the Tx to the Rx, for whatever reason, wouldn't you say that the Bind was lost or the Rx became UnBound? Perhaps I am not using the correct terms, however, the Tx is no longer is linked to the Rx and ReBinding the Tx to the Rx corrects the problem.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:30 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Small point of order: You do NOT ''lose'' bind.
Link can be lost from power outage etc. But not bind which is the GUID .
What does this mean, onewasp, to those of us who hate Acronyms? Are you saying that accidentally leaning a Spektrum on its Bind button cannot cause a bind to become corrupted or disconnected or anything detrimental to the connectivity process?

Such as leaning a Spektrum on its button while the plane is switched off, or some similar scenario? Say a Spektrum was leaning on its Bind button while it's resting, and you walk up and turn on the radio without picking it up, so that the bind process is activated. Doesn't sound too far out, I think it certainly could happen. What would that do if the plane was off? I should think nothing. But what would it do if the plane was then turned on?

What sequence of events could feasibly create this situation?

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
onewasp

BIND - This mates your GUID to the RX being bound (in the Rx).

LINK - after bind you turn on the same Tx, it selects a clear pair and links to the Rx .

IF you press the Tx bind button while every thing is 'on' don't expect good things to happen.

Don't forget that the DX7 has been sold since 2006 and this has not been a major problem.
However 'major problem' may also be defined as the one YOU have.[]

The Spektrum system is the most trouble free and accurate I have ever owned or flown and that covers a very long period of time as well as a lot of different systems.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

No...not messing with you, onewasp.

I have a Spektrum DX-7 and it's the best radio I ever had.

I was really just trying to find out if pressing the Bind button at an inopportune moment could cause some of these "mystery crashes" we've heard about in here. From your post, it seems plausible.

As for me having a major problem....you have no idea....but it's mostly in the AMA threads, if you can call them that.

Yes, my Spektrum is the Golden Child of all radios. I've always thought that there might be something unexpected that could occur under certain circumstances to explain these supposed Brown-outs that occur in spite of heavy-duty electrical systems designed to prevent them. In this case, something unrelated. Intriguing.

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you place the transmitter in the bind condition while your DSM2 receiver (AR7000, R921, etc.) is not in the bind condition, you will lose the bind. I no longer own a DX7 but I did check it out with the X9303 and R921 combo. While binding, the transmitter and receiver are carrying on a two-way conversation. If the transmitter doesn't hear a reply from the receiver, it assumes the receiver is a DSM (AR6000). Since the protocols between DSM and DSM2 differ, the bind is lost.

Allan

Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

according to spektrum radio,once a bind is made it can never be lost. reading it out of the dx6i manual . i say BS to that.........GEETER
Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 PM
BuschBarber

Thank you for defining the terms. That is what I thought the definitions were.

I have been very happy with the Spektrum 2.4 systems. I love the Bind and Fly offerings. I have a couple of AR9000 Rx's and several AR6100 Rx's. I have the DX7 and two XP9303 Tx's. One 9303 has the Spektrum Module and one has the Synthesized 72Mhz Module. Once I am completely converted over to 2.4, I will probably pick up an 11X or 12X.

Aside from the Big Bind Button and the placement of the Trainer Switch, I am satisfied with the DX7.

When I Range Check the DX7, I depress and hold the Bind Button and then back away from the model until I lose control. Until I laid the DX7 down on the Bind Button, I never had an issue with having to ReBind.

I can't see this Bind Button issue being the source of a Crash unless you push it while you are flying, As I understand it, pushing the Bind Button cuts the Tx Power to 50%, so it definitely affects Range if you were to push it while flying. I don't know why anyone would unless they fly with a Tray and the design of the tray somehow pushes the button.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: geeter

according to spektrum radio,once a bind is made it can never be lost. reading it out of the dx6i manual . i say BS to that.........GEETER
and you are wrong !

Just how do you lose bind?

Not by shutting off the power. If that were true you would have to bind for each flight.
The only way is to either physically destroy the Rx or to bind it to something else.

You say: "i say BS to that......" . Tell us how.
Before you even begin, you cannot.

Remember 'bind' is GUID and 'link' = the two frequencies selected.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
BuschBarber

I see your point, but please explain why I have to ReBind if I accidentally lay the DX7 Tx on a surface that depresses the Bind Button. I believe that after I turned on the Tx and laid it down on the Bind Button, I then turned on the Rx. There was no Bind Plug in the Rx, yet releasing the Bind Button did not allow the Tx to Link with the Rx. Powering everything Off and On again did nothing as far as restoring the Link between the Tx and Rx. Only ReBinding worked.

This happened Twice in a row, within 10 minutes, until I realized what had happened. I had to remove the Wing, Insert the Bind Plug in the Bat/Bind port of the Rx, turn on the Rx, see the Blinking Light, Press the Bind Button on the Tx and Turn on the Tx. Wait for the Rx light to go Out and Come on Solid. Shut off the Rx and Remove the Bind Plug. Put the Wing back On.

I have personally witnessed situations where others have turned on their 2.4 Rx's, before the Tx, had no Link, and had to ReBind to reestablish the Link. It does not happen often, but it happens.

There has to be a technical explanation as to why a ReBind was the only solution.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
rdcntrl1

to all of you that are concerned about your specktrum tx&rx horizon hobbie will tell you there is nothin wrong with any tx or rx that you send in to be checked out,but i lost 2 planes , my son lost 3 planes, his lhs owner lost a plane, & 1 of our clubs pilots lost 4 planes from SPEKTRUMS losing signal ( aka losing bind or what ever you want to call it)SO GUESS WHAT I DID ?????? buy a FUTABA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:51 PM
mike ladrach

I also have accidently "un bound" my DX-7. the work tabeles at my club field have a nice convient basket to set your TX in that just happens to line up quite well with the bind button on the back. and when I turned it on in the basket before a flight the bind button was pressed as the switch was turned on .
pushing the bind button after the power is on as in a range check is fine but anytime you power up the tx while holding the bind button you will loose the bind for the selected aircraft unless the reciever is in bind mode.

also always rebind your aircraft after you set it up in a new plane because the stick position at binding will be your fail safe positions . and you must do it after because if you reverse your throttle after bind your throttle failsafe will be backwards
check your fail safe by turning off your tx and note control positions with the rx still on

my dx7 has been great after two full seasons of flying in 9 different planes with no glitches
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM
BuschBarber

Thank you!!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Goodness, onewasp, nobody is after you in here, and they're just looking for info. Chill a little, okay?

Something they didn't expect has happened and they're in here looking for an answer, not jumping to any conclusions. Any expertise you can lend really is appreciated.

and rdcntrl1, I'm glad that you've got a Futaba, we all want you to be happy with what you work with in this hobby..

Now, that little button off to your left that say Caps Lock on it, if you just push that once all those BIG CAPITAL LETTERS will just become regular letters and you won't be screaming....

and BuschBarber, sorry, I guess you caught the guys on a full moon or something, they're bad at times, but not usually this bad. I caught myself biting somebody's head off in another thread this morning.....must be a full moon......

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: geeter
and you are wrong !
Just how do you lose bind?
Not by shutting off the power. If that were true you would have to bind for each flight.
The only way is to either physically destroy the Rx or to bind it to something else.
You say: ''i say BS to that......'' . Tell us how.
Before you even begin, you cannot.
Remember 'bind' is GUID and 'link' = the two frequencies selected.

Well, onewasp, whoever you might be, (you don't have courage to show name and such on your posts so I don't give much credence to whatever you say) yet you sound so sure of yourself, so I request an explanation.

I have a Specrum 7 channel and got it right after they came on market. It works OK and is excellent for night flying as it shoots through the neon lights I use all over the machine. 72MHz will not do that. Neither my JR 9303 or 8103 will for more than 300 ft. Even a cheap Airtronics will do some 600 ft. but that ain't good enough. Never tried a Foo-ta-bah.

Now being from the very OLD school back when we only had 7 shared channels, (frequences back then using flags) I was taught to turn Receiver - On, then Tmtr. On. For shutdown, Receiver -Off, and finally Tmtr. Off. Well I still do that every so often by force of early habit. (FYI when I got my two lessons and started flying RC up in Chicago land in 1971, we had some good radio Techs back then.) I never questioned their instructions to any degree.

When I do the Spec. 7 Tmtr-on then receiver-on, seems to work OK.

Each time I turn receiver on first, and I have run tests to obtain adequate assurance that I am correct, the reciver has to be bound again. I have two receivers and both work same.

Now, smart boy, why don't youse explains dat so a dummy likes me can unnerstan it ???
Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
onewasp

Well, I will do what I can.
I started flying full house RC about ten years earlier than you did and due to many shoot downs by my fellow fliers took a year off (it took that long then) to get my General Class Ham license. For the next 30+ years I flew on six meters.
I dropped six like a hot rock when Spektrum 2.4 GHz DSM2 was announced in 2006 and bought the first Mode 1 DX7 that came into stock.
I have flown that plus the X9303 and the DX7se all with high end JR digitals, all first issues.

To date I have never had nor have I seen a lockout. I fly a lot, always have, even going back to ground based Tx's and reeds days.

The correct procedure following a correct bind, don't forget to remove the bind plug, is to turn the Rx off first then the Tx on shut down.
On start up you reverse the procedure and turn on the Tx first, allow the bind light to go solid indicating that it has selected its pair. Then turn on the Rx and this allows the linking to take place.
You are now set for a comlete flight.

I have not had one lockout or annomally to date (that's three years). I have used A123 x 2300mah batteries from the start and I would never consider using anything else.
I switched to electrics a little over a year ago and again I use a 5 cell (5S1p-2300 pack) A123 packs for motive power with a CC Phoenix 60 for ESC, with a separate CC programmable BEC set at 6.6volts which provides up to 10 amps for the Rx/servo combination
Again, flawless performance.

BTW I fly Precision so the plane gets little rest airborne.
While I have flown the big stuff and Pattern ships I find that the size and complexity as well as the transportation problems for those are a royal PITA.
Hence the electric move which I am thoroughly enjoying.

I have offered my flying buddies to fly judged routines with them and the only proviso is that they allow me to fly closer in to eliminate the automatic size advantage they have at 150 meters with their big stuff vs. my much smaller electric aircraft.
They all give me the big smile and say 'no thanks'.
The electrics will put up a windy weather, crosswind (naturally) routine which they admit that they cannot match with their big stuff. That includes crosswind touch and goes. As well as the aerobatic maneuvers.

If you have bind and or linking problems then you are doing something wrong.

Currently my favorite Tx is the DX7se. Even over the X9303. I can feel the speed of the 11ms frame rate, especially inches from the ground even though others say they can't. Rxs used are the R921 and the AR7600. so all are capable of supporting the 11ms frame rate.
In my 49 years of RC flying experience (and counting) the Spektrum/JR-DSM2 have been the most reliable and accurate radio systems I have ever owned, or flown. That covers a lot of systems and virtually all price points made available over the years as well as all of the top brands.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yeah, I always turn on my TX and let it settle for a few seconds before I turn on my RX with my DX7. I have great luck with it. And I always watch carefully for that moment of "Lock-up" when all the surfaces just SNAP to. If I didn't really FEEL it was quite perfect, I just do it again. It's not like it takes more than a few seconds, right? After the SNAP, I check the surfaces and their directions.

By the way, let me relate a story from two weeks ago that reaffirms my decision to change to the DX-7. An ugly stick with a big 4-stroke on it, and a GeeBee R-2 with a 4-stroke on it. My flying buddy was checking out the GeeBee R-2 and I'm pretty sure he was getting his courage up to fly it. He double-checked everything 3 times and then decided after double-checking everything 3 times he might have worn the battery down too much, and well, lookit that, it's only at 6.3 volts, better charge it, better not take any chances. (LOL)... I've been there myself, so I hid my smile and stood there looking serious while he hooked up the charger to it. Then he suddenly said "Well, I'll just fly the ugly stick while that's charging!" He grabbed it, gassed it up, tossed it down and started it then told me he was ready and I stepped off it looking a little uncertain and yelled over the motor; "You checked it out?", and he nodded. I hadn't seen the surfaces move but maybe I wasn't looking right then or something. He gassed it right up the alleyway to the runway and straight across and up he went. The stick started rolling slowly to the left and just continued to roll until it headed straight downward and drove right into the ground.

A check afterward showed that the aileron on one side wasn't working, and the other one was working, but backwards. We both nearly knocked our heads together trying to get a look at the screen. My buddy yelled out; "I shot down my own plane!" as I looked and saw what he'd just seen; the words "GeeBee R2" on the screen. Seems the Ugly Stick has separate servos for the ailerons, and the actual aileron setting is backwards from the GeeBee R2 model he has, which uses a Y for the ailerons. Yep, he was flying on 72...with a Futaba, by the way...

The DX7 feature where the radio has to recognize the receiver as the RX for the model currently on the screen would have prevented that model from flying. I felt really bad for my buddy, we've all done that and fortunately most of us catch on that something's not right and take an extra minute. Not always, though. Model recognition ROCKS!

It ruined his day, and although he wouldn't say so his nerves and his confidence for that day were both all used up. We never got to see the Gee Bee R2 fly, so it diminished my day as well.

Man, I love my DX-7.

Jim Rice told me one day; "There are about a thousand things that can shoot you down at the field on any given day, I figure when I've done my very best I've made sure I covered about 680 of them...that's pretty good." Kind of tongue-in-cheek, but it makes the point that we try our best but stuff happens even so. The day he told me that his plane went down unexpectedly in the lake nearby, and the G-62 was never found (not even when the lake was drained!).

I figure that the DX-7 brings us well above 700 on the 1000-item checklist! Nothing's perfect, and over the many years I've flown RC I've never seen anything I WOULD call perfect..... until I got the DX7.

Yeppers.....

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Well, I will do what I can.

To date I have never had nor have I seen a lockout. I fly a lot, always have, even going back to ground based Tx's and reeds days.

The correct procedure following a correct bind, don't forget to remove the bind plug, is to turn the Rx off first then the Tx on shut down.
On start up you reverse the procedure and turn on the Tx first, allow the bind light to go solid indicating that it has selected its pair. Then turn on the Rx and this allows the linking to take place.
You are now set for a comlete flight.

I have not had one lockout or annomally to date (that's three years).

If you have bind and or linking problems then you are doing something wrong.

Currently my favorite Tx is the DX7se. Even over the X9303. I can feel the speed of the 11ms frame rate, especially inches from the ground even though others say they can't. Rxs used are the R921 and the AR7600. so all are capable of supporting the 11ms frame rate.
In my 49 years of RC flying experience (and counting) the Spektrum/JR-DSM2 have been the most reliable and accurate radio systems I have ever owned, or flown. That covers a lot of systems and virtually all price points made available over the years as well as all of the top brands.

Thanks, onewasp.

I was reading your post and I realized that I just learned something. Maybe I never caught it when I was first reading the instructions. I did not know that the bind light goes solid once the TX selects its pair of channels. I always wait a few seconds, maybe ten or so, before turning on the RX. I referred to it as "let it settle for a few seconds" in a recent post. Lucky I do that! Maybe I DID know that, back when I got the DX7, but don't consciously remember it now. At any rate, THANK YOU for that. I'm going to go and check it out first thing tomorrow, run it up a few times and get used to seeing the button light up visually. I won't forget it now.

Jimbo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.