Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Trouble Shoot this ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
em14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble Shoot this ...

I have DX6i Tx and 6200 Rec. The 6200 will not light up when the rec is truned on, nor bind! This happen to the first one I had in the plane and the LHS owner replaced that one with this one. At the time the LHS Owner was checking the system we used different batteries which were fully charge to eliminate the possiblity of low voltage. He stated he thought the problem might be a bad servo ... the only Servo that wasn't present at the check out was the airlon sero in the wing I left at home ... I have flown the plane with this system twice since they were replaced without any problems ... I charged the rec. battery yesterday in prep for flying today ... also charged the Tx batteries ... now I am back to where I was to start with a non functioning and no lights rec. How can one tell if a servo is bad if it is functioning and responding to the commands. I am not trying to pick a fight about this ... rather I would like to understand how to check and trouble shoot better. Thanks for any and all help ...
Leo
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble Shoot this ...

First of all, servos being connected are not required to bind a receiver to your transmitter. I would suggest going step-by-step through your binding instructions in the DX6i manual to get a bind. 99% of all binding/not-binding problems are operator error. This is not to speak badly of you, it just happens. Just last week one of our newer club members could not get his DX6i to bind to his receiver. Turns out he was attempting to bind through the charge jack with a non JR/Spektrum type switch/charge jack. There are a myriad of reasons this simple process can go awry. But if you follow the instructions, it should bind.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 AM
em14

"The 6200 will not light up when the rec is turned on, nor bind!" - The lights on the receiver are not coming on except for a very small blip as the switch is activated ... therefore there isn't a "solid" light on either of the 2 receivers ... I did notice the throttle servos is causing a compression of a sort when it moves forward ... I am now thinking that could possible be causing a "high" voltage ... I saw this the day I was charging and it was one of those things I was going to check later.
Thanks for your reply.
Leo
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well when troubleshooting it's always best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

As airbusdrvr has already suggested, most of these issues are user error but some hardware failures do occur. That said, if you put in the bind plug, power up the rx and don't get the rapidly flashing lights indicating the rx is ready to bind, you're wasting your time looking anywhere else before you resolve that issue....
Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
em14

Thanks Zeeb - I took everything to my LHS and the owner inspected the system and is scratching his head ... he is going to call Horizon Hobby on Monday ... I will report back to all as soon as I know something!
Leo
Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
em14

UpDate:
My LHS Owner has called Horizon and the short answer is ... they think that I must have a short in my planes wiring! Neither the LHS nor myself understand why that knocks the rec. out and we must return it for repair! Repair what? I will try and locate the "Dead-Short" they say I have and, they also say, the short must be intermittent. Any ideas ...[]
Leo
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM
em14

Update:
The LHS Owner contacted Horizon today ... they feel that I have a "Dead Short" in the planes wiring ... we don't understand why we must send it back for repair as we prove or disprove their theory ... how ever I want to know what is causing this problem and I'm going to isolate the switch first ... any other ideas?
Leo[]
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

em14:

Have you done this?

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

......... if you put in the bind plug, power up the rx and don't get the rapidly flashing lights indicating the rx is ready to bind, you're wasting your time looking anywhere else before you resolve that issue....

Unplug all the servos, and take the receiver out of the plane. Sit there with just your receiver, a battery, and your bind plug. Put the bind plug in the appropriate spot, and plug in the battery in any servo opening. If you get the blinking lights, then complete the binding process with your radio. If you do not get lights, then send your receiver back to Horizon and be done with it. If you were able to bind, then continue eliminating variables as noted in the quote above, and as suggested below.

Next add the switch to the system. Put the switch between the battery and the receiver. Try to bind that way. ALWAYS put the bind plug in the approrpiate place in the receiver and MOVE the power to a spare servo opening. MOST of the probelms binding are caused by this.

Next add a servo at a time.

Next add any extensions that might be connected to the servos. One at a time.. Get the drift on how to eliminate variables? If something goes wrong, it was the last thing you plugged in.

If after you plugged everything in the problem persists, then a trip to Horizon is in your receiver's future.

Rafael
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
em14

Rafeal - I have done most of that but the LHS owner has returned the Rec. to Horizon after having talked with them ... before I "just bind and flight" when I get it back I shall follow your suggestion from A to Z ... it sounds like the proper way to proceed! Thanks ...
Leo
Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: em14

Rafeal - I have done most of that but the LHS owner has returned the Rec. to Horizon after having talked with them ... before I ''just bind and flight'' when I get it back I shall follow your suggestion from A to Z ... it sounds like the proper way to proceed! Thanks ...
Leo
If you already sent it to Horizon, then it should be good. If they don't find anything, then you are still on square one, that is when you need to eliminate variables.

Rafael
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
em14

Rafel I followed your advice, at least I thought I did, and I had the same results except now I just got solid lights ... now I write all my proceedings down and head for my LHS where Eric, the owner said he would like to check this system out. So I bring all the system to him including the battery and my notes ... Eric tries and tries to duplicate my problem but the system is absolutely prefect each time he tries it binds ... so now Eric reads and follows my procedures as I had written them ... will not bind! What was the difference ... well the manual tells you to set everything up and to then plug the bind plug in ... now turn the switch on! I had not followed the process as the manual said ... Read the Instructions [X(]...
Now that brings me to another question: Just what does the bind plug do?
I would like to thank Eric of the Local Hobby Town for his direct help and Horizon for all their advice and support! I'm embarrassed but I will never forget how to bind!
Leo
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Rafael23cc

.....Now that brings me to another question: Just what does the bind plug do?.....

Other than initiating the bind procedure, I have no clue on what happens internally.

Just remember to unplug the bind plug when you are ready to fly.

Rafael
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Zeeb

Just what does the bind plug do?
It jumpers the ground and signal lead of that port. Something similar is used in computers to do different things with say MotherBoard functions all the time either a temporary action or via a small tab left in place all the time.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 AM
smallr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a new guy w/ a dumb question: For an SR6200 Rx powered by a 4AA battery box, what should wires and connector look like? I have just a black and red wire. Rx and Tx bind OK, but servos don't respond at all.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, you need to supply more info. Spektrum makes an AR6200, not an SR6200, if that is what you are talking about.

What Transmitter are you using?

A 4.8v NiCad or NiMh Receiver battery is usually comprised of 4 AA cells. It may come with 3 wires, but only the Red and Black are connected to the Switch Harness or Rx.

The typical Spektrum Binding Procedure requires you to turn on the Switch Harness, first, wait for the Blinking Lights, then press the Bind Button on the Tx and turn on the Tx. The Blinking Lights, on the Rx, will go out and come back on Solid. Now your Tx is Bound to the Rx.

If you are using a Tx with a Spektrum RF Module, you need to be sure the Modulation, in the Model Memory, is set to PPM.

Bottom line is we need more info to help you diagnose your problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
em14

As Rich states above - there is a set order for binding and I found out the hard way that you cannot deviate from that order ... and make sure the batteries are charged ...
Leo
Old 11-26-2009, 12:42 AM
smallr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich and Leo,
Thank you for the replies, and yes, I did leave out a detail or two. Also, I've now found the problem.
It is a DX 6i with the AR6200 Rx. It was wired and bound correctly.
When I re-tried and removed Servos systematically, I found that my new HiTec HS645MG was defective.
It gets very hot at the base of the case very quickly and, apparently, kept other Servos from working.
So, day after Turkey Day it's off to the hobby store for an exchange.
Are bad servos common?
Thanks again,
Ron
Old 11-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: smallr

Are bad servos common?
Thanks again,
Ron
No but it does happen. That's why the above advice about reducing the number of variables as much as possible when troubleshooting.