Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

dopped DX6i down the stairs. Faulty???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
aelk5579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dopped DX6i down the stairs. Faulty???

Hi guys,

My 2 year old son got hold of my Dx6i and dropped it as he was going down the wooden stairs. It hit the stairs about 6 times repeatedly bouncing like a ball till it came to rest at the bottom of the staircase. I immediately turned it on and it turned on with no problems. The only external damage was the antenna broke and is being held by the actual antenna cable rather then the plastic hinge. I found the hinge so im planning to super glue it but I'm concerned if I've damaged somthing internally. I'm still a novice so i cant just try it on my heli to see if its working and even if i do get it to hover, this is only using 10% of the transmitters fucntionality. Would there be another way to test the transmitter to see if its fully working OK? Thanks in advance

Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Default RE: dopped DX6i down the stairs. Faulty???

[8D]Send it back to Horizon with a letter exactly what happen...they are very sympathetic.....When a friend of mine had a heart attack will flying his
plane, and dropped his transmitter JR 388, it splatter the case, we were able to land his plane as we called 911. I contacted Horizon and informed them
what happen...and that we (a few modelers) would pay for the repair. Needless to say Horizon repaired the transmitter, complete new case, replaced
everything that was damaged. We were surprised when we received the invoice...NO CHARGE. Well, after the bypass surgery and recovery..he attended
the club meeting....we presented him his repaired (brand new) Transmitter...there was not a dry eye at the meeting. I hope that you will have the same
luck as we had....

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM
aelk5579

Thanks for your reply. If the transmitter does end up being damaged, then i will definetely try and get it repaired by Horizon. But at this stage since the unit is turning on and there is no visible damage (except for the broken antenna hinge), I am hoping that the transmitter has not suffered any serious damage that could cause my heli to drop out of the sky or fly out of control. Just wondering what the best way would be other then getting a professional to test it out. Is there a way i can confirm that without sending it back or risking a heli?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

[8D]Do a range check...if it pass the range check it should be ok....Or if you have a friend with an old trainer..put your receiver in Bind it...range check and fly.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: codimasta

[8D]Send it back to Horizon with a letter exactly what happen...they are very sympathetic.....
Very nice story, but it does not help him any.... Check out his location.....

aelk5579

Score: 100
Last Login: 11/1/2009
aelk5579:

If no switches or levers are broken on the outside other than the antenna, a good range check shouls show you if there is something wrong with the radio. this is an easy short term fix. I would send it in for repair as soon as possible. I know summer is in full swing for you guys and being grounded is hard, but safety is of utmost concern.

Rafael
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
aelk5579

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for that. A friend suggested to use it on a simulator and see if it works Ok. I havent got a simulator but I have been looking to buy Phoenix for a while. This would be a good reason to spend my money. Do you think testing it on a simulator such as Phoenix would be enough?

And yes your right - summer is in full swing and the last thing i want is to have to wait a few weeks..not because my bird is in repair, but because the transmitter is in repair!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: aelk5579

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for that. A friend suggested to use it on a simulator and see if it works Ok. I havent got a simulator but I have been looking to buy Phoenix for a while. This would be a good reason to spend my money. Do you think testing it on a simulator such as Phoenix would be enough?

And yes your right - summer is in full swing and the last thing i want is to have to wait a few weeks..not because my bird is in repair, but because the transmitter is in repair!

A simulator will not test the transmitting part of the radio. If you have done a good range check, and cannot notice a difference in range, then I would use it that way. You could open it up and see if there are any broken or bent parts inside. I would send it in as soon as feasible.

My 9303 took a dive from the back of my friend's truck. I checked the sticks, did a range check, and looked it over inside and out. I still have it and I'm still using it (after sending it in). It also helps to have a backup radio.

Rafael