Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 9X BOOT UP PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 AM
XMANS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9X BOOT UP PROBLEM

Can anyone explain why sometimes my 9X freezes on switch on, have power to servos but no stick response on all chanels, screen is on as normal but nothing works until you switch off trany and receiver pack then turn on again, then every thing is normal.
Has happened on differant models and I run crystals.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR 9X BOOT UP PROBLEM

Have you tried another Rx or Tx so you can determine if it is one or the other? Have you taken out the RF Module and reseated it again? Check the antennas. Look at the face of the Tx and make sure it stays on the proper Modulation. Have you tried another Model Memory and see if it does the same thing? Are the batteries fully charged? Have you checked the Monitor program, in the Tx, to see if the Bar Graphs move when you move the sticks, especially when it appears to Freeze and won't move the servos?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM
slarty

XMans, next time it happens move the main power switch forward a little bit more ... or wriggle it sideways.

As you state a 9X, then I am reading that as normal module fitted. JR use a dual supply system from the power switch, 1 feeds the electronics and the other feeds the RF module. It sounds like you have a dodgy power switch that is only connecting the electronics but not the RF Module.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 AM
XMANS

Hmmmm, This has only happened twice on start up over a 14 month period on differant model, but I have lost 2 models over a 4 year period with no explaniable cause, except no control what so ever from the sticks.

My transmitter is the predecessor to the 9x 11 with normal module.

I have only yesterday used a spray contact cleaner on all the plugs and gave the switch a good go.
Now I don't know if this will fix it or I still have a dodgy switch, but now knowing that JR use the dual supply system I will now try to replicate the problem
by switching on and off and wriggling the switch etc.

Would I be correct in saying that the RF module is powered up but not the electronics, and thats why the servos are powered up but not responding.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you turn on the Rx switch, the servos get power. If the Tx Switch is turned on, then the Rx should be receiving a signal. If the RF Module in the Tx is not making contact or is on a different Channel than the Rx, the servos will not move with the sticks. If the Rx is PCM and the Tx Model Memory is set to PPM, there will be no servo movement.

Did you verify that when you displayed the Monitor program, the Bar Graphs for each channel moved with the Sticks or Switches? That will tell you if a signal is being sent to the RF Module.

The Crystal in the RF Module could be failing intermittently.

I had a Futaba 8AUPS that suddenly lost range and after trying a different Tx and my RF Module, I finally pulled the back off my TX and found that the circuit board where the Battery, Antenna, RF Module, and Trainer Port were cononected, had a big crack through the Antenna circuit.

Using another Tx on the same channel should indicate if you Tx or Rx is at fault. Then, you can concentrate on the RF portion of the Tx. If you can find someone with an RF Module that will work in your Tx and is on the same channel as your Rx, that would rule out you RF Module.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 AM
slarty

XMANS,

Typically what happens is that the set powers up and for all intensive purposes it seems to be okay. You get the screen, you can do changes etc etc but the RF module is either receiving no power or partial power from the battery. No RF is generated so the receiver cannot respond.

I haven't as yet come across a set that supplies power to the module but not to the electronics. Mind you, that would appear as a totally dead set !
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
XMANS

Thanks for you help guys, I now have some testing to do, and yes the bars do move in the monitor program.

And I will replace the xtal in the module as a precaution, and I will check the board for cracks, and have started trying to replicate the condition,
but no success as yet, and if I do replicate it I can borrow my sons module to try.

Will keep you posted as to what I find, if any??????
Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
BillBulldog

I had the exact same problem with my 9x. Cleaned the on/off switch with Isopropyl alcohol and had no problems since!