Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Brand New DX-7 won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Wilki01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New DX-7 won't turn off

Here's one. I bought a brand new Dx7 a couple of months ago, charged it a couple of times and did an bound it to my 7100 receiver for my T-rex 600. Well, finally finished the Helli and today I setup up the radia, after charging of course. I have only used the Spektrum wall charger and original battery on theis radio. The DSC cord has never been used. After finishing today, I plugged the TX back into the charger. After about an hour or so I went back to get the radio and of course play again, the radio would not turn on, hmm what now. I did some checking and found the fuse to be blown, I installed a new fused and when I plugged the battery back in the Tx beeped and turned on. The display says it is in DSC Mode, power switch is off nothing plugged in. If I turn the power on the Tx is in normal mode and transmitting. Horizon of course says to send it in and of course I will, being I was ready to fly tomorrow now there goes the next month or 2 without and of course the bills from customs that I will get like every other time I send something for warranty in. Thanks You Customs. Sorry off topic, if I can figure this out without sending it out, it would be great if not oh well, almost starting to miss my Futaba stuff now, hopefully I just can get this worked, sucks haven't even got to use it yet, great QC. Anyways blah blah blah, trying to get back on topic, thanks for any and all help in advance...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brand New DX-7 won't turn off

I do not have a DX7 but I have worked with many Students and Club Members who do. I assume DSC Mode refers to the Trainer Program on the Tx being Enabled. For years, JR Tx displays would power up when the Trainer Cord was plugged into the Trainer Jack. I believe the DX7 display will power up even if the Trainer Program is not emabled. When the Trainer Cord is connected to the Trainer Jack on the Tx, you are not Transmitting until the Tx Switch is turned on.

Perhaps there is a short and the Tx thinks there is a Trainer Cord attached.

I guess Spektrum calls the Trainer Cord the DSC cable and the DSC Mode is when the Trainer Program is enabled.

For higher end Non 2.4 systems, DSC meant connecting the Tx to the Rx in the model and controlling all the servos, without Transmitting and requiring a Frequency Pin. I did this with some of my Futaba and Jr radios in the past.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Wilki01

Yes you are correct the Trainer cord is what Spektrun and JR call DSC. I remember my Futaba actually had a DSC cord. I figure too that the TX has a short in it, good thing it is Christmas season and the worst time to ship. Oh well, I guess won't be flying for another couple of months. LOL good thing I had bought this new TX just for the Trex 600. Thanks for your help...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
V2PLUS10

If you had to take the back off the tx to change the fuse a wire bundle may have gotten displaced and is pressing on the DSC/trainer cord jack. It sounds like the tx is being powered as though there were a trainer cord plugged in...Unplug the battery and take a look....
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Wilki01

I thought of that too, had it appart a couple of times now, even tried a wiggle test, no change. I may even take it apart again, sure is strange, I have been looking online for any others with the same issue without any luck. I know it only takes one wire to do it too.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
V2PLUS10

If you have a trainer cord you might plug it in and cycle it in and out a few times, but I expect you probably would have done this too. About the fuse...Jr and spektrum charge jacks seem to be suseptible to shorting and blowing the fuse while being plugged in or un-plugged. One fellow has suggested that you turn the power switch on while inserting or removing the charge plug. this takes the charge plug out of the power circuit so blowing a fuse is unlikely. I just try to be careful and push or pull the plug straight in or out...and I carry extra fuses... I've had this happen with the JR8103 and the JR 9303, hasn't happened with the DX-7 yet....The fuse in the 8103 could be changed without removing the back..not so easy with the others......... Good luck.....
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 AM
electricpete

you did not inadvertantly use the futaba charger. when the fuse blew did you?

Is there a fuse in the Dx6i. I tend to be very careful about selecting the correct charger, but in the heat of the moment. It is easy to slip.

Pete
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Wilki01

No, it was th Spektrum charger it came with. I don't know about the Dx6 though
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
ddaveb

I think you will find that the connections in the dsc jack socket have become shorted together that is why the TX thinks that it is in slave mode when it is switched off & the display comes on . It would be a quick check to see if the socket is broken or the connections are bent.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I guess Spektrum calls the Trainer Cord the DSC cable and the DSC Mode is when the Trainer Program is enabled.

For higher end Non 2.4 systems, DSC meant connecting the Tx to the Rx in the model and controlling all the servos, without Transmitting and requiring a Frequency Pin. I did this with some of my Futaba and Jr radios in the past.
DSC stannds for Direct Servo Control.
It allowed you to set up your ship/check your set up/check you servo throws WITHOUT turning on the Tx.
It was useful at contests and the field in the 72MHz days.
It so happens the same jack is used for the Trainer function.
Hence thh 'DSC' marking. DSC came first.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
BuschBarber

Exactly!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Wilki01

Update.

I contacted Horizon Hobbies, they said something about a possible circuit board problem. I did check the trainer jack as well as everything else I could check visually(found nothing obvious). Horizon said to send it in. Now, this is why I also support my LHS. After speaking with the owner of my LHS, he went out of his way to lend me his DX7 while he sent mine to Horizon Hobbies in the United States for repair. He did not have to do that at all, he knows I also have a 9303 2.4 that I use for my planes. I buy a lot of stuff online instead of my LHS, just because they don't carry some of the items I require. As for any of my Arf kits or Radios, I buy from my LHS to keep them in business. Horizon Hobbies has been good to deal with, but I let my LHS deal with them mostly, I just put out more money to continue with this addiction. I just cannot wait to get this Trex600 in the air.

I thank everyone for their inputs, as expect RCU is always a great place to look, ask or even offer some info. Now I wish every one to have a safe and happy Christmas, thanks again...

Wilki
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
BuschBarber

Have a Merry Christmas, as well!!