Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

For

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
doublesixes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For

Guys,
I have a DX7 that's being used in 5 planes with success but as time went by I have become more demanding on the features of my TX. For example, when flying my 87" Extra, it would be very nice to be able to manage the power of the DL50 from the radio by means of a programmable throttle curve, giving me the most resolution at low stick positions where my 3d flights demand it.

On the other hand, when flying my small e-Yak, I would like to be able to control the power of the tiny outrunner in a more ample way, using all the range of the left stick.

I understand that the DX7 has only throttle curve for heli mode only but I was wondering if any of the smart guys in here had devised a way to control throttle response from the TX for airplanes. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: For

AFAIK, the only way you're gonna get what you want from a radio is to buy more radio like an X9303.....

There are things you can do to mitigate the the throttle response sensitivity on gassers just coming off idle;

Make sure your servo arm is not longer than the arm on the carb, shorter would be better. If possible, setup the servo travel so it's near the end of it's travel at low throttle as you'll get less linear motion initially. If you've got Hitec programmable digital servos you can also set those for a shorter travel limit which effectively decreases the movement of the servo in relation to the stick i.e. using a travel in the area of 140% on the throttle vs. say 80%.

I've played around with the throttle servos a bit and now set mine up that way even thought I'm using a 12X which does have throttle curves for airplanes. I do use a throttle curve to set a flight idle on the gassers so I don't have to play with the throttle trim and you can do the same thing with a DX-7 using a throttle/throttle mix and assigning a switch.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
doublesixes

Hey Zeeb, thanks for the answer and i was afraid someone was going to say that....I should have got the X9303. But you are right, there are a number of things one can do to improve throttle response, which I'm already implementing, in order to overcome the lack of TX programmability.

On another note, I used to live in PG back in the 80s and remember a couple of buddies flying RC sailplanes off the Point of the Mountain. Is there any RC action going on up there?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah they still fly sailplanes up at the point but I've not been up there, one of the guys I fly with at Lehi goes up there occasionally.

Speaking of Lehi, there's a new modelport over there owned by the County. The maintenance is kind of a mutal effort with the local club doing a chunk of the labor while the County picks up the bills. Pretty nice facility including a pavillion which the club put up that's about 20'x80', two paved runways which right now are in a bit of need for crack repair/sealing.

My avitar picture with the Edge was taken on the lawn in front of the pavillion at Lehi.

I've only been playing with RC since just before I retired from the fire station about 4 years ago. Used to be lots more activity, but it seems this economy is taking it's toll on folks and playing with model airplanes becomes an expense which has to go. I started playing with IMAC stuff and 7 or 8 years ago, there were about 6 contests in Utah each year, now there's only one in St.George but I still mostly fly with the GS guys on Sunday's when most of the glow folks are in church......
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
N429EM

Not sure I know exactly what you're after, but, can you adjust the Expo to accomplish what you want?

HTH
EJ
Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM
doublesixes

On the DX7 (acro mode) expos only affect ailerons, elevator and rudder.