Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

AR6200 Remote RX Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AR6200 Remote RX Flashing

I've been using Spektrum equipment for about 2 years now with zero issues and am just completing final assembly of my newest project - the EFlite UltraStick 25e ARF. I'm installing the electronics and testing the gear. It appears a short time after plugging in the LiPo, my remote receiver LED will start flashing. Both main and remote link up with a solid light initially. I've not noted this behavior on my other Spektrum or JR DSM2 receivers.

Here is my setup:

TX: JR X9303 DSM2
RX: Spektrum AR6200 (modified by Horizon for latest quick-connect firmware -sent all RX and remotes in last spring)
Battery: Polyquest 4S 4400mAh 25C XP2
Motor: EFlite Power 32
Prop: APC 14-7E (not mounted when testing indoors)
Connectors: EFlite EC5
ESC: Castle Phoenix 60A
BEC: Castle BEC
Servos: HiTec HS-225MG (4)

Without even arming the motor, the remote will initially light up solid but will start flashing a little faster than once per second. I have other AR-6200s, remotes and an AR-9000 plus JR-901 which I may use once I install the quad flap option but I've elected to use only 2 aileron servos for now. Main receiver is still lit solid.

Do I need to be concerned? I'm still testing everything indoors so a range check has not been performed. I have the EFlite data logger but the 6200 won't log.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
V2PLUS10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AR6200 Remote RX Flashing

If re-binding does not solve the issue then I would first replace the remote receiver extension cable, and re-bind again. If it still flashes I'd replace the remote rx . Unexplained behavior is not worth the risk...!!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried replacing the BEC with a battery pack? There was an incompatibility with the early Castle BEC and Spektrum receivers. If that cures the problem, take a look at http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_spektrum.html

Allan

Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 PM
PipeMajor

ORIGINAL: AWorrest

Have you tried replacing the BEC with a battery pack? There was an incompatibility with the early Castle BEC and Spektrum receivers. If that cures the problem, take a look at http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec_diagrams/ccbec_spektrum.html

Allan

I saw that technote on Castle's site. My Spektrum receivers have all had the quick connect firmware update performed by Horizon last spring. The Castle BEC is a brand spanking new unit, purchased last week. I'll try using a standalong NiCD or NiMH pack this evening.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed sometimes when plugging in a LIPO to a plane with BEC on a spektrum receiver, you do get the "brown out" indication due to the very brief intermittent contact you can get sometimes when plugging in the connectors. The voltage is there, then it's not, then it's there again.. perhaps the satellite RX is just quicker to pick up on this. I've noticed this on the Dean's style connectors, sometimes they can be hard to get mated quickly.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
PipeMajor

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2
I've noticed this on the Dean's style connectors, sometimes they can be hard to get mated quickly.
I've had problems getting a first time connection using the Deans Ultra connectors so made the switch to the Eflite EC-5 connectors for this project. Much easier to solder larger gauge wires and you get a very solid first time connection.

At any rate, I believe my problem is solved. I tried binding again with a 6.0v NiMH pack and it seemed to work OK. I undid the connections to the main receiver, rebound using the BEC and everything is as it should be. I suspect I had the BEC connected to the throttle port and the ESC going to the battery port. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Thanks all for your replies.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
PipeMajor

Well, belay that previous post. I had everything set up and running on BEC with both RX lights on solid. Then I moved the satellite RX and, sure enough, it starts flashing.

Disconnect BEC and ESC, turn off TX for a minute, turn TX back on and let it reselect whatever channels DSM2 chooses. Now I plug my 6.0v NimH pack into the RX and both establish a link - lights on solid. I try again moving the satellite around again. It stays lit solid.

I guess that's why we test this stuff in the hangar rather than tossing it up in the air and having an unexplained mishap ruin your day.

Looks like I have some more investigative work to do. BTW, I did bump up the output voltage of the Castle BEC from it's default of 5.1v to 5.6v. My HiTec HS225MG servos are supposedly rated to 6.0v.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
tomclaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I just bought a Dx 6I and it came with a AR6200. I am going to use it in my sailboat ,just two channels. I belong to a club to race our boats and the FM TXs were prone to glitching. So we have switched to Spektrum equip. My intent with all this has been to reduce weight, the sail servo and the receiver is so much smaller, amazing. Can you unplug the remote receiver and still use the main one only? I didnt get a Spektrum three wire switch harness I think the number is a 9530? you can plug the binding plug into the harness. So is there another way to put the binding plug to do the bindinding process? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need the Remote (sometimes called the Satellite Rx) or you cannot Bind. If it fails during use, the main Rx will still work.

With Spektrum Rx's, the battery can be plugged into the Batt port or any of the other channel ports. They all have common grounds. If you have servos plugged into every channel port, you can use a Y Harness. Plug the servo into one side and the Switch Harness into the other side.

You can also plug a Y Harness into the Batt/Bind port. Plug the Switch Harness into one side and the Bind Plug into the other. I use a 2cell LiPo Rx pack and a voltage regulator. Because of this, I cannot Bind through the Switch Harness, so I use the Y Harness. Also, If you are having problems Binding through the Switch Harness, you can always use the Y Harness.