Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

spectrum voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spectrum voltage regulator

I am extremely upset with my DX7 and am losing faith in its reliability as witnesse by a brownout yesterday that caused me to lose a valuable 3d AIPLANE.I am using a 45 esc from exteme flight with a bec.I decided to sell my 2 yearold system today and h hobby shop asked if I was using a spectrum voltage regulator.I didnt know about this issue and was told to plug it into an open channel to prevent any future brownouts.yes I am using ditigal servos HS65mg's.I am totallyfrustrated wih this system and am unwilling to put it in a new plane /.the rx is ar7000 and I have several ar9000.
Does the use of this capacitor eliminate brownouts.or do I need to usea 10 amp castle ubec connecto with all mt planes regarlessof bec????
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: spectrum voltage regulator

No they do not prevent brown outs. Having a power system that has sufficent amps so as not to be pulled under 3 volts or so to the reciever under load is how you prevent brown outs.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about Battery Capacity. Determine the Current Draw of your system and make sure you have plenty of Capacity to spare.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you have a brownout problem? Did your receiver give you a slow blink indication there was a brownout? I have used the Extreme Flight esc/bec that is the same as you have in an aircraft with an AR7000 receiver with four Hitech HS65 servos. There have been times when I exhausted the battery to the point that the motor quit, but the radio system kept functioning perfectly. Unless esc/bec is defective, your problem could well be something else.

Allan

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the Hitech web page, the HS65 is an analog - not a digital servo. My HS65's are buried in a plane so I ran a current test on an HS85. This analog servo has about 50% more torque than the HS65. At near-stall the current was slightly less than 0.5 amps. (I was holding the arm with more force than required by any reasonable installation.) Since the Airboss Elite 45 bec is rated at three amps, it would require five or more HS65's to be simultaneously stalled before the bec is overwhelmed.

Assuming the Airboss esc is functioning properly and there really is a brownout, a more likely cause is the esc went into thermal lockout caused by the motor pulling more than 45 amps over a long period. I can’t find any written confirmation but I would assume if the esc went into thermal lockout, the bec would go offline. Another possibility is that your low voltage cutoff hasn’t been set and you are allowing the batteries to be drained below the voltage where the bec can no longer regulate.

There is also the possibility your receiver is going into a failsafe hold because of signal lost. The best way to determine that is to purchase a Spektrum logger if your AR7000 receiver has been upgraded to handle it.

Allan