Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Synapse elevon problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synapse elevon problem

This is my first 2.4 radio, and Im all confused trying to get my flight controls to work properly in the elevon mode on my Great planes Synapse EDF. Im using a Spectrum Dx6i with the AR6200 Rx. From the "Wingandtailmix" menu, I activated the Elevon mode and from here im confused. Right now when i move the stick side to side for ailerons, I get elevator, and when I move the stick for elevator, i get ailerons. Any help will REALLY be appreciated! thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Synapse elevon problem

Perhaps you have the servos plugged into the wrong channels.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...nual-LoRes.pdf

Pg45 - Left Elevon servo into Aileron Ch2 and Right Elevon servo into Elevator Ch3

If the controls move in the wrong direction, go into Reverse programming and change the direction of the servo.
The following users liked this post:
TFELTS (06-20-2022)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
speed20

Well, ive swapped the servo leads as per the owners manual, left elevon to channel 2, rt elevon to channel 3. I reversed the elevator and now im getting the proper movement for up and down pitch. Iwas getting aileron movement, but it was opposite f what it should be. I reversed the ailerons thinking it would correct things, but when i reverse the ailerons,the elevators now become ailerons, and elevators become airlerons!! When i put ailerons back to "normal" proper elevator is restored(up is up down is down) only when , for example go right aileron, it goes down instead of up. You would thing reversing would cure this, as it does on an conventional airplane, but instead it swaps elevator and aileron controls! Im at loss.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
BuschBarber

I do not have a DX6i in front of me but I did find some references, through Google, regarding problems with Elevons and the DX6i. Here is one guy's procedure:

Found a fix for the Elevon problems (fixes them all, I think).

This is slightly complicated, but bear with me. In the end, you get everything working plus a bonus feature at the cost of only one mix.

First, plug your right servo into the aileron plug and your left servo into Aux 1 (the Flap plug). I've only tried this on one plane, so I don't know if those might be reversed in some setups.

Then set your Wing Type to Dual Ailerons. Now check your aileron control it should work normally for an elevon plane (elevator is not yet working). If it doesn't, you'll probably end up having to reverse your plugs to make things work right.

Next, go to Mix 1 and set Elev -> Flap with both rates (D & U) at 100%. In my case that was -100%, but you may have to use +100 percent in your setup. Check function; at this point it should look like an Elevon plane with a boatload of travel. Don't fret about that the extra travel will "fix" your trim buttons! And don't forget to set "Trim" to ACT in the lower right corner of this screen.

Now, if you want differential it should work perfectly. If it goes in the wrong direction, you'll have to back up and reverse the plugs (move the servo in Ail to Aux and vice-versa) and redo the other settings to reverse them. Ultimately it means you'll have all the function back at the cost of a single mix.

But you get some payback for that mix: your Flap switch will now work! Probably the best use for it on an elevon plane is adjusting the elevons to max glide duration in case you want to do some thermals and don't want to try and see what the little bugger is doing at 400 feet...

Undoubtedly your elevon travel will now be too great. If you go to Dual Rates and reduce your top rate down at least to 80% of full, your trim buttons will now be completely safe to use the endpoint travel will not be greater than your allowed travel, so the weird "button effects" go away.

As far as I can tell, this is a complete fix. Would be delighted to hear if anyone hits a snag... also this leaves the option of another mix open (if you're using rudder and want a mix, or wish to do a throttle -> "flap" mix to get the torque roll out, for example).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046058

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940867
Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
snuts

Sounds like the servos are pluged into the opposite ports. Go back to when the elevators worked properly, now swap the servos in the ports.
-Snuts-
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
speed20

Well Buschbarber, I did everything you suggested in your long explanation (thank you by the way). I got the ailerons to work in the proper direction and even adjusted their travel so I have dual rates on ailerons. I got as far as setting things up in "Mix1" as you instructed and then set my aileron dual rates. Two problems persist.. I still have NO elevator . after swapping leads and resetting everything still no luck ,so i put everything in the configuration you outlined in your instructions. Oh yes when I activate the Flap switch, they go UP. I reversed them and then my ailerons reverted back to being Elevators! I put flaps back to normal, and now i have proper aileron function, but still no elevator function. any advice? Im truly at a loss!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
BuschBarber

I copied the text from one of the threads I found using Google. As I reread the procedure, it specifies that if the Elevators do not work, unplug the servos and plug them into the opposite ports. Also it mentions setting the Travel, in the Mix1, to 100%. You notice he mentions -100 and +100. Pay attention to that because it affects the direction the servos move in a similar way that the Reverse program does.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:24 PM
speed20

yea, I swapped servos, cleaned the slate, reprogrammed everything, but no luck. So, I put he servos as per the instructions you found thru google. I also put the travels at 100% in Mix 1. So, as of now, ive perfect aileron movement,in the proper directions, with dual rate function also. But alas, Ive still got no elevator. Ive been searching all over too, but no answers. I really appreciate the effort youve gone to. Im usually one to cure my own r/c problems, but in 30 +yrs flying r/c this is my first 2.4 radio as well as first elevon type airplane.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 AM
BuschBarber

Very frustrating.

Did you try using Minus values as well as Plus values for the Travel in Mix1?

Did you try another Model Memory just in case something is corrupt in the Model Memory you are using? I have seen that before in radios I have owned and read of this happening in others. Sometimes, there are other parameters in the Model Memory that may have been set accidentally and would interfere with your settings in Mix1.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
speed20

no I didnt try minus values only + values , and Ill try another memory and see what happens
Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed20,

If you didn’t mount the servos as shown in the Synapse instructions (i.e., the servo arms pointed away from each other but pointed in the same direction), you would have the problem you described in your original post. If you laid the servos on their side with the output shafts pointed to the same wing tip, you would have the problem with elevator and aileron being swapped. And finally if one servo had reverse rotation from the other, you would have the problem. These solutions may be simple and obvious, but I remember the instructions for a WWII scooter that stated if the engine didn’t start, check for gasoline in the tank!

Allan