Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Marine Receiver > 1/4 Hitec servo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum Marine Receiver > 1/4 Hitec servo???

Need Help, I am new to some aspects of the hobby mainly radio details, new to 2.4 GHz.

I am fitting radios into 2 large scale boats projects: ( 1- 60" gas boat and 1- 48" 13cc tunnel-hull outboard)
Normally I would use 1/4 hi-torque servos for steering like the Hitec HS-5745MG, digital servo.

I have the DX3e and MR3000 combo with the s200 standard digital servo and s6020 hi-torque digital servo that I am installing into a smaller 7.5 outboard tunnel hull and I believe this will work OK butI don't know what I can get away with the MR3000 on the bigger applications?

Will the MR3000 handle enough current to run a big servo without toasting something?

I have read the User's Guide but there is no information about compatible servos or current output?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
amrharrymac

Default RE: Spektrum Marine Receiver > 1/4 Hitec servo???

So I learned with a little research that if a receiver has a BEC, battery elimination circuit, then for a high current drain such as that a High-torque servo can cause, a glitch or brownout can be created.

I know the Spektrum systems have an awesome recovery algorithm for a signal interuption but why take the chance for an expensive radio system and much more expensive high performance racing boat? I asked this question on the website, 1st time it was ignored, second time redirected off of my question.

if 2 battery systems and a "Y cable" are used then I can use 1 - 4 AA battery pack to power the receiver and a 2nd - 4 AA battery pack to supply the power to the high torque servo and allow the control signal to travel from the receiver to the servo through the "Y". I think I will be safe using high output NiMH AA cells for the servo battery pack.

I think I may need 5 cells as the rechargeable batteries are 1.2 V vs. 1.5 V for alkaline; 4 x 1.2 V = 4.8 V / 5 x 1.2 V = 6V, LOL, they don't make 5 AA cell battery holders?

I wish there were application notes on the website or in the MR3000 User's Guide. Maybe I am reading it wrong? Wow 10 cells are gonna be my ballast.

Now I need to go look for compatible connectors, etc. to see of I can make this "Y cable" unless there is already one under Air Accessories. I will need 2 cutoff switches or maybe a DPDT switch and I will have think about implementing a charging port without taking the batteries out of the radio box all the time. Extension cables to put the cells to balance the CG.

I hope this helps other people upgrading to 2.4GHz in nitro or gas boats.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
amrharrymac

Well, I have humbly concluded that the Spektrum s6020 is adequate for a 3.5 tunnel hull at an impressive 146 in/oz @ 6V.
For example the Aquacraft VS1 3.5 tunnel hull recommends between 100-124 oz/in @ 6V.

Power-wise I don't think it is an issue with the s6020 and one other standard economy digital servo for throttle.
BTW, Spectrum makes a Voltage Protector surface accessory that supplies power to keep the voltage up if a surge occurs to keep communications alive.

For anything larger, like a gas boat or 11 cc tunnel hull, two s6020 servos could be ganged, beating the HS-5745 250 oz/in @ 6V at a slightly higher cost.

Ganging two standard size servos is possible, I guess; It helps that the MR3000 receiver has dual outputs for steering.
I have seen ganging 2 standard size servos on large crafts without using the 1/4 size high-torque servo; it makes sense to me why they would do this now.

But, are the Spektrum s6020 compatible for ganging together?

Going analog with a non-2.4 GHz system has a entirely different set of options and total cost point.

Now, I just need to pull both type systems together and spray some H2O...

Does someone from Spektrum actually read these posts?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
amrharrymac

OK, They make a 6V NiMH 1400 mAh battery pack and charger combo for around $35 that the car guys use; same footprint as 4 AA . Simple fix, thanks for the help, Hobbytown USA in Melbourne, FL. Wes hooked me up!