Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum radio binding issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
fhm555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum radio binding issues?

Hey folks....I've been thinking about making the move to spek tech for flying, but I've heard several stories about 2.4 systems in general losing connection between TX and RX during flight.

I've had a lot of experience with 2.4 surface systems racing r/c cars, using it since Spektrum first released a TX module for the M8. Once I learned that the Spek systems won't tolerate weak or low battery levels, I never had a minutes trouble out of my radio gear, but there is a huge difference in range between racing on a closed track and flying.

It's a very popular thing these days in flying, but my JR rig is working fine and I've never had a hit or signal loss while using it. I really like the idea of just flipping a switch to fly with no worries about crystals, but I'd much rather deal with that than I would a smoking heap of wood and wire because my radio rig quit communicating with itself.

Thought? Suggestions? Opinions?

Any and all are much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum radio binding issues?

ORIGINAL: fhm555

...... but I've heard several stories about 2.4 systems in general losing connection between TX and RX during flight.

Post ONE link where this has actually happened IN FLIGHT. Most, if not all of the incidents regarding 2.4 can be traced to improper installation. Since you already have some experience with battery levels, you will have no problems. Just remember that the antennas of the 2.4 system do not extend outside of the aircraft. Also remember that Carbon Fiber blocks the RF signal, and since the antenna does not extend outside the aircraft, you have to be careful with aircraft reinforced with Carbon Fiber. Otherwise, it is no different that installing any radio system.

I am slowly changing from 72mHz to 2.4. I missed the offers to buy the system and get free receivers, so now I have to buy them one by one. I have a Spektrum module that I use with my 9303 and an XPS Module that I use with my 10X. Both are doing their job. I have heard a few stories about XPS, but since I'm in the middle of Kansas, I do not worry much about potential problems with it. Eventually I will change everything to Spektrum, and sell the XPS and the 10X.

Rafael
Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
davidgeorge212

the story supposedly with spektrum is if you let the battery go down below the cutoff voltage than your reciever will go into a re-boot mode and loose signal for about 3 seconds. Then it is supposed to come back up. It happend to me, luckily I was not flying while it happend. On my T-rex helicopter I turned it on and it would not pickup any signals from my transmitter and the problem ended up being that the receiver somehow lost its binding with my transmitter. I had to re bind it and everything worked fine again.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I lost a 1/4 scale SuperCub that way, and came real close to losing my Mustang Swiss that way. After that - ALL of my 4.8V batteries went into the "use for Ignitions ONLY" pile.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Lots of things happen that get lumped into "lost bind"

In practice (and I get a LOT of practice) I've never seen it.

I've seen the battery level issues, I've seen people holding the transmitter right next to the model during link up and it not link (linking is different than binding) etc.

I've never seen a receiver truly loose it's bind. Not that it's impossible, just that I haven't seen it.

Also, the latest firmware reconnects instantly, not in 3 seconds.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
V2PLUS10

I use a JR 9303 with a module, and have not had any problems. I changed everything over about 3 years ago. Be sure to use good quality 5 cell battery packs for the airborne radio, or lipo or lion's with a regulator if you are running a large number of high draw digital servos. A123's also work well. Bind when you first install the radio, and then bind again when you are done setting up throws and servo direction etc...when in doubt, re-bind!! The TX goes on first, give it several seconds to find usable channels, then turn on the rx, don't turn them on one right after the other as in click-click! I've never "lost a bind" but sometimes it can take more than just a few seconds for everything to link and start working. There has been a lot written about this. Charge your batteries properly and check them with a 500ma or 1 amp load meter before flight.

Randy