Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

ORIGINAL: racelikustolit3k

if I can ask MJ.. what were the problems of the AR6200...
the plane would just lose signal

i sent one off horizon couldnt find a problem....so did my brother and another buddy...they sent us new ar6000s i can not trust those receivers anymore in anything other than my cheap spads....i even lent the new receiver horizon sent to a buddy...same problem....

we all use different transmitters too..... i use the 10x, my brother uses the 9303, my friend uses the dx7, and so does another man that has had problems
Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Captbill
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Spectrum DX6I Malfunction that destroyed my aircraft

I have the DX5I and have had intermitant binding problems that occur when you power up the tx. Depending on the situation it occurs randomly and you must keep a eye on the power levels of your tx or it will loose the bind.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
VKGT

ORIGINAL: Doug47

Maybe it's just the Marine in you that doesn't know how to play nice with the general population....They never untrain you ''boots'', do they? Go ahead and get fired up, I'm not a civilian anyway so I too understand ''what a, uh, kitty, was. And wasn't.''
That's good, and I sure don't take any offense to that whatsoever.
I've been away from the Marine Corps a long time now, I'm a full-timer in the Army Guard and am way,way over phoney inter-service rivalries.
I don't think a lot of people realize just what an ugly mess our economy is and will be in the future. Nearly every major company in this country is hanging by a thread, and regardless of what happened here it's moronic to believe Horizon did anything on purpose...Just flat stupid.
A lot of things can lead to lashing out and bitterness....ED, etc.
Also, the company does have a great reputation for customer service, and if anyone would objectively look at all the whining a that goes on in these threads they'd see that it's not an easy business to be in.
Just as one poster lamenting structural failures in two H-9 airplanes. Really ? You mean the highly experienced builders here can't look at a plane and tell it needs a beefed up horizontal stab before you even fly it ? Come on.
Funny, i had a Corsair my buddy owns now with an O.S. 1.08 I'd fly the crap out of, high speed snaps, outside loops, and it never had a structural failure. Because the stab needed re-inforced before it even flew. Duh. I didn't mind at all. Hey, if people want ARF's built like we all built kits they'd be available..for about 700 bucks.
So no, I don't work for them. My Spectrum radio works great, I fly two heli's and 4 planes on it. All these years of flying (r/c airplanes 20+) I've only had one radio related failure, and that was the aforementioned cold solder joint done by an authorized repair center,who you know what ? They didn't do it on purpose.They sent me a new receiver, and I didn't have the lack of manners to ask for anything further.
It sucks what happened there. There are a whole lot of completely satisfied Spektrum owners though, and i'm just one of them.
Horizon is a good company. If they were gone, they'd be missed ,I'll tell you that. Doug
This was the more constructive post that most people would follow this thread for so props for that

On a somewhat related note, a guy that I know in Tucson has claimed to have lost multiple airplanes while using the Spektrum technology. He has also tried some of the other 2.4ghz frequency hoping brands and has similar claims with them as well. I should note that he is very meticulous with his setups and whatnot but it's hard to say if his logic is flawed or not because he can be a real pain in the ass sometimes and strikes a lot of people as someone who has to blame the airplane for failures rather than pilot error. Anyway, The only one that he truly believes in now is Futaba's Fasst technology. From what I remembered about living in Tucson when the FASST stuff came out, the receivers would shut down and lock out in the heat. Of course this is all hearsay but I constantly hear of issues on both sides of the fence but the guys who seem to consistently have issues from my reading and talking to people are the guys with DX radios........

It's hard to say anything on that because I've never had problems with 72mhz JR radio gear and more recently, JR 2.4ghz (Spektrum) gear. I use a 9303 Radio with AR7000s and R922s. So far so good. FWIW, I chose the JR9303 based on it's long successful history and this is why I would not trust any radio that looks cheap or feels cheap (in my own personal opinion) like some of the Spektrum ones that I've seen. I've ordered a JR 11x and I will slowly learn to trust that radio and use the 9303 as a backup. I know I'm rambling but I just got off the plane and I'm out of it.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
macmoke1

There's an easy solution. Get away from Spektrum. Their radios are of the poorest quality. Where I live we have people every weekend with Spektrum radios (DX7, DX6i) that scream out "I ain't got it," 72Mhz rarely gets hit, Futaba 2.4 & 72Mhz never a problem. So Its gotta be the Spektrum radio. You couldn't give me one let alone get me to buy one. Try flying a spektrum then switch receivers and put in a Futaba and you'd be amazed at the responsiveness with the Futaba flying the same plane and servo set-up.

Nuf Said!
MacMoke1
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
hisacia
My Feedback: (15)

i think i will sell my dx6-i and my dx7 and go back to jr
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

WOW great info guys... I have never really messed with futaba besides my FG12 but I sold that with a jet I had and it served me well... but I trust and will stay with JR and the trusted 72mhz... and I hope WOOT will do the same...

WILLIG10 I will look at the TX and get you the date code.. but it wasnt under the codes that horzion first recalled...

SO everyone with a dx6i should BE CAREFUL!!!!!!! I am really glad both planes dumped where they did... I am not the best pilot out there by any means but I can huck a plane really well.. if it would have locked out, failed, lost bind, ect. ect. while a was doing a point roll down the run way at 80+ or anything else it could have easily killed someone BOTH PLANES LEFT CRATERS IN THE GROUND... and that is very hard oklahoma red dirt...

I may have said HH is going to take car of this.. BUT until WOOT and HH come to an agreement my lips are sealed.. WOOT can answer that.. but from what gathered from there phone calls, he wasnt completely shut down

and yes if its cool with WOOT I will post the pics of the carnage later tonight.. most of the planes were offered as a burnt sacrifice to the AIRPLANE GOD'S

RACE
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
rdcntrl1

i dont think you need a date code to send in your tx to be checked out !!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Repairs/Request/
i took mine in 3 times with a no charge ( plus it was bought used here on rcu)

thnx,

rd
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
racelikustolit3k

sorry fellas "WOOT" is SAWOOTEN the original poster..
Old 05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
fly24-7

I've used a DX7 radio for nearly four years. I bought my about a month after the DX7 was released. I use the 7, the 6 and the new 5 channel receivers. I've never had a problem with my transmitter or any of my receivers. The equipment has worked flawlessly for me from day one.

With that said, I've read a number of threads with complaints of malfunction for every brand of 2.4 GHz radios. Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Airtronics, Hitec, etc... I'm not aware of any mass-produced product that is 100% defect free. With forums like this, it is easier than ever to make the masses aware of a bad product experience.

There's risk with any of these products. Like others have said, to minimize the risk, "break-in" a new system on a model of little value in order to gain confidence in the equipment.

In this case, I think it was a mistake to fly the second model without having a confirmed assignable cause for the first crash. I hope the original poster finds some form of satisfaction for this issue.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

We have had multiple problems with AR6200 in small gassers, and glow planes. The only 6xi at our field had a bad throttle pot out of the box. The guy threw it in the trash after about 4 flights (he had on an electric trainer).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He either has more money than he knows what to do with or he is just plain dumb..........I do know of another person who did that with an Airtronics quite a few years ago at the races in (I believe it was Madena) California......
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Nitro-Tom

I see so many things here....let me just start by re-capping my last trip to the field.....crashed my favorite, absolutely favorite plane, my Fliton Extra 330s Freestyle, over 100 flights.....dumb thumbs. Not the Dx7....not the AR7000.....the setup was perfect.....it was me! (See attached photo) I am sad, no doubt.

One thing I did see upon arrival to the field is a total looser getting to the field, putting his field box down, setting up his nice new plane, then turning on his 72Mhz radio without even looking at the frequency control board, much less grabbing a pin and putting his card there.

I ask.....how can you "Trust" this older technology when it is so prone to human error......I have only been doing this 4 years, but I got off 72Mhz when I was racing cars 5 or 6 years ago and got sick of crystals, etc.....I have seen a few shoot downs and accidents from interference, etc….

Spektrum and Futaba Fast are proven, advanced radio systems. These, like the 72 MHz radios they replace, are not perfect.....they are NOT interference PROOF. They are resistant.

(Trust me…. as a computer and RF engineer who used to work for Motorola; if I wanted to go to the field and shoot down a spectrum plane, it is going DOWN!) (A lot easier than you might think)
No radio system is interference PROOF, thus part 15 of the FCC rules.

Also, with ANY radio control system, setup is important.
In ALL my planes (16 now) I have had no issues because I follow a few basic rules when it comes to setup:

(These are my own rules, and specifically geared for Spektrum)

1 - Large battery. All my 60 size glow planes use Hydromax 2000Mah RX packs…6 welds per cell, etc
2 - Only use 6 volts with Spektrum. The brown outs are 100% TOTALLY SETUP RELATED, they do not have to happen. The radio is designed to run at a specific voltage range, you go below that, even for a 10th of a second, you get what you get.
3 - Check all servos and mechanical linkages with a setup device, such as the JR Matchmaker setup device, remove any binding in the control surface. Make sure good linkage geometry.
4 – Check servos for current draw, and then check current with amp meter for entire system. Max all controls at once, see what you are pulling in terms of amps and see what the voltage drops to.
5 – I use an on board volt watch, checking voltage moving servos before every flight. Low battery = Do Not Fly! (Recharge if necessary, but do not fly)
6 – Check all spectrum RX units for fast connect feature on the bench, return for firmware update if necessary, but if it “Glitches†or “Reboots†in flight because of “Sunspotsâ€â€¦.I want it to come back FAST!
7 – Full range check with the reduced power button pressed on my Dx7 before first flight, every trip.
8 – Use the shortest wires, fewest connectors, largest gauge, etc…good overall electrical system.
9 – Use a top quality switch, never small cheap switches. Again, this is a single point of failure.
10 – Test in the pits before maiden flight with engine running. Ensure no RF or ignition interference.
11 – Use a flight log on the ground for all the above testing. Never fly with errors showing.
12 - Never reuse a critical part such as battery or switch after a crash. Single point of failure needs replacement.

As an example of proper setup in my $3000 30% yak, I used all Fromco Li-Ion regulated power with a AR9100 Rx. Dual power, High amps for all the 8611 and 8711 servos, and 4 Rx units, one front, one rear, one in each wing. Flight log left on board this baby; check it every day I fly. Even though I still use only the Dx7 TX…I went with the better Rx because of the 4 remote units and the dual power.

Now…….

I have learned a few things reading this thread.

For instance, I should never run a NEW RX ever again, put it in my ugly stick and fly it a few times….I am down with that from now on!
NO better way to test it than let the O/S .55 vibrate the heck out of it
Heck I am even going to break in my new JR 8711 servo’s in a beater for a few flights, awesome advice!

Some things I see potentially wrong here with the original posters setup……

1-I would have used a better TX, the Dx5 and Dx6i are distinctly entry level radios. No knocking them, but hey…..get what you pay for, the Dx7 or the 9503 would have been a better choice for a $2000 + AIRCRAFT
2-I would have used a better RX, like the AR7000

I do not see a lot of other detail in the original posters setup, such as battery, voltage, switch, wiring, etc….so I really cannot comment on the setup further other than to say:

“ Sorry to hear about your lossâ€.

I recently witnessed a guy having 2 mid-air total losses in one week…..tough to get through a string of bad luck like that. Hopefully you will hang in there, get help where needed from us or your local guys at the field, and get back in the air…..but please do not knock products that work well….and are proven.

There is nothing wrong with Spektrum or Horizon…..like someone said, this is like gambling every time you take off. It is optional……I have a lot of guys with “Hangar Queens†at my filed…..they build them, and they look good, but you never see them in the air.

Just my 2 Cents for the pay pal account….no change given.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36466.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1434652  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 AM
racelikustolit3k

another great set of posts.. the setup was

dx6i
AR6200
2x 2300mah 6.0v packs on RX ( 4600mah total )
1x 1700mah 4.8v pack on ign.
all HD extensions with all shrink wrapped connections
the servo's were matched with a hitec programmer( absolutely no binding on the centers or through the full range)
there was no switch involved just plugged right into the RX
the rx was in a foam bed with a velcro strap holding it down
the satelite was mated to another former with HD velcro and a ziptie

set was the same on the other plane ( cap 232 )

I took lots of time setting up both planes just as if they were mine.. SAWOOTEN is a good buddy of mine and I wouldnt let him fly something I didnt deam worthy first.. heck I flew that cap quite a few times just to set the TX up for him and they way I knew he could control it easily..

and one more thing we fly at a privately owned flying field in the middle of the sticks.. we have no problem with air heads turning on 72 tx's afew guys fly 2.4 and a few fly 72 myself included and that is all I will ever fly..

and as far as the 5 and 6 go for being entry level.. yeah they are but the 5 cant even be compared to the 6 (it's a full computer TX)
and I played with a big experiment last year.. I flew my kitbuilt 33% extra 330L with a dx6i, an AR6200 RX, 1 6v 2000mah pack on the RX, one 4.8 on ign. single hitec 645mg's(yeah one per surface) a zdz 80b2 and that was it and I flogged that plane.. I was expecting the wings to explode ( I messed up once or twice and slammed the thottle wide open going into blenders) and it held up PERFECTLY all season.. when I stripped the plane at the end of the year, I found that I had actually bent the stab tubes (so bad I had to cut them off and beat them out the socket)

sorry for the crash nitro

RACE
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 AM
kochj

THere are video's all over YOutube with Spectrum recievers locking out and BLAMMOOOO!

Jets, planes ect....

I have both of those planes that you lost on the same day....

I have a Lanier 94" Yak54 and a Extra 94" BOth with Extra cowls, Both NIB oxes....

I might sell them... as I plan on going bigger....
I will keep my Cap580....1st gen....though...
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM
racelikustolit3k

kinda like this one ??

SAWOOTEN really wants a yak 54.. I am rebuilding my AW 75cc YAK for him right now.. but shoot a price to me and I bet he would take it off your hands..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50865.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1434749  
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Nitro-Tom, great post!

I agree that the 6's are entry level radios and on my bigger planes I use AR7000 or 9000's and a 9303.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

I found that I had actually bent the stab tubes (so bad I had to cut them off and beat them out the socket)
Holy cow ! Now that's a guy who was flying the daylights out of his airplane .
When you find something like that what do you boys flying big planes do, replace them with carbon fiber or something stronger ? Doug

Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Wyoming Cowboy
My Feedback: (13)

I use a Spektrum radio for the simulator it came with, that's it...I never have liked their radios.  I've used Futaba since I started and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 AM
iflyg450

This is a great poat, as I fly the Dx6i and have been since it came out. Knock on wood I have had no problems. I just have 1 quick question your rx pack what size cells were they?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

It seems Spektrum/JR are more susceptible to 2.4 interference especially if a 2.4 video camera fires up, (search threads). The additional anttenas help the bigger JR receivers though. http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ ran an independent test and the Hitec AFHSS (Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) won the competition in a 2.4 shootout. The Hitec 2.4 is the latest iteration to the 2.4 genre. I had a Spektrum DX7 with AR7000's but only flew maybe 20 flights, no problems. I recently bought the new Hitec Aurora 9, 5.1" Backlit touchscreen, and onbard telemetry telling me what my airborne battery voltage is real time, plus additional sensors can be added such as Fuel Level, Engine RPM, Air Speed, etc...and it is a darn good looking radio with a great feel in your hands. Receivers are cheap, and their servos are legendary.

I believe all radios will incorporate the telemetry feature eventually.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...-9-2-4ghz.html

http://www.hitecaurora.com/Comparison_Chart.pdf

I have switched to Hitec and really like it. Aurora's are flying turbines and Giant Scale birds just fine. There is no perfect radio from any manufacturer, so hopefully whatever brand you buy, you'll get a good one.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Nitro777

Sorry but fact is fact which equals truth. Go through all the threads that have to do with radioes in the past 2 years and anyone can see that Spektrum leads the way in complaints of loosing bind.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I always think it is funny when a new members first post is some long story about how something or some product is horrible (remember the "Yuma RC clubs are horrible thread?)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
racelikustolit3k

ORIGINAL: Doug47

I found that I had actually bent the stab tubes (so bad I had to cut them off and beat them out the socket)
Holy cow ! Now that's a guy who was flying the daylights out of his airplane .
When you find something like that what do you boys flying big planes do, replace them with carbon fiber or something stronger ? Doug

I just replaced them with alloy tubes.. unless I am trying really hard to save weight.. carbon tubes like to snap/shatter under very extreme loads, they scare me..

mazda that is true, I remeber that thread.. but WOOT called this a WARNING not just a slam at HH..

the pack cells are a sanyo 2300mah aa-r6 I have driven 15 5955tg's in an ULTY with no problems so far.. they are hand built by a local hobby shop and I have used them for years..
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
warbird addict

I use the 9303 tx and have ar6200's in a bunch of 50cc sized stuff on a single 2700 nimh and to date no problems
I dunno maybe I'm lucky knock on wood but I just observe a few simple rules and so far it's kept me out of trouble.

1. Make certain all rx components are atleast 12" away from anything ignition related
2. seperate the main and sattelite rx's as far away from each other and the rx battery as you can
3. absolutely no metal throttle or choke pushrods, nyrods with ball links only
4. try to keep throttle and choke servos atleast 12" away from ignition components
5. secure rx and sattelites with velcro and a tie wrap if they are allowed to vibrate around you will have problems even if there is foam under them
6. range check as well as #7
7. with the engine not running and the rx/tx on ,turn tx off and then back on and check for rebind
8. nothing less than a 6 volt for rx power and check it between each flight if power drops below 3.7 on a draw you are browned out
a loose connection or a faulty servo can take a fully charged 4.8v below the 3.7v brownout voltage, seen it happen on a sig p-51b with a bad retract servo

Before the sticks and stones start flying I'm admittedly no expert but rather passing along some real world observations I've made
in correcting problems that I have sorted out on some of my stuff ,fortunately for me all of them were on the ground when I discovered them.

A good rule of thumb is to check your stuff over and test it like you were gonna be sitting in it when it leaves the ground
this will as it has with me save you alot of problems that could've been avoided
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Anybody that does not test a new radio system in a beater airplane is just asking for trouble.

I use a three stage approach.

Step one it goes in my glider. Electric paid $15.00 for it at a swap meet. for 10-20 flights.
Step two it goes into a my magic or Sig Kougar both nitro for at least 30 flights. Both bought at swap meets for under $75.00
Step three Now available to put in any model.

The technique I use was born out of pure desperation back in the 80's when FM was first coming out and there was a rash of bad receivers and transmitters. I lost five planes in two weeks in that time and ARF's were as rare as kits are now. So I am leary of new equipment. I don't care what reviews say or other people. You have to be smart and test your new equipment. I have seen so many nice planes going into the ground because people "trust" a new radio.

I now have a Turnigy 9x 2.4 radio system, Inexpensive but it works problem free I can trust it. I am putting it now with fully tested receivers in a 96 inch Davis D1W scratch built, a CMP 120 Corsair and a Regal Eagle ducted fan. The radio is now in its second season. I also fly my electric Sig 109, my Gnat electric pattern plane, and others problem free on this radio with over three hundred flights on it with six different recievers. Over kill? Maybe but it works. I have not lost a plane to Radio failure. Since I started doing this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.