Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Differential throttle/rudder mix

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential throttle/rudder mix

I have a 9303 that I am trying to work out a mix for and need a little help.
Model: Twin motor float plane.
Channels used: Throttle, rudder which is on aileron stick, and elevator.
Receiver: 4ch.
I want to have differential throttle for steering without the use of a water rudder using the throttle/rudder stick.
I am using two mixes, mix1 rudder to throttle and mix2 throttle to rudder and I have it working but not as I would like it.
The throttle works properly advancing both motors and the rudder works properly as well speeding up and slowing down each motor.
My dilemma is that I can't figure out how to have this mix on a switch so it can be turned on and off and also set the mix so it only speeds up one motor and not speeds up one motor and slows the other. Can this mix be done the way I want it?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
tashley

Default RE: Differential throttle/rudder mix

Is this not the direct support forum for JR or am I confused, again.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Bent Nail

Tomakazi, I would call JR Support directly (877) 504-0233. I had an issue(mixing) yesterday and the technician did a great job helping me solve my problem. We actually did the programing over the phone. Unless someone can give you the exact step by step instructions you may be better off talking with tech support.

John M.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM
tashley

Thanks John.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had a receiver with five or more channels, the programming would be simpler. With only four channels, four program mixes will have to be used.

I assume that you want the left motor to speed up with a right input to the aileron stick and the right motor to speed up with a left input to the stick. The rudder will be connected to the aileron channel. The right motor will be on the normal throttle channel. The left motor will be connected to the rudder channel.

The first thing you should do is disable the rudder stick. A program mix will accomplish this when the rudder is mixed with itself at -100% rate always on. This won’t disable the rudder trim. You could use the rudder trim to synchronize the left motor with the right. If you don’t wish to do this, then use the TRIM STEP menu in the system list and set the RUDD trim to zero.

Use a second program mix and mix THRO => RUDD at +100% rate, always on. This will make the rudder channel act as your left or second throttle channel. In your original post you said you did something like this.

In a third mix, mix AILE => THRO. Leave the offset at zero. Set the upper value of Pos1 to +25% (this is your choice). Leave the lower value of Pos1 and both values of Pos0 at 0%. This will cause the right throttle to increase with left aileron stick input. Set one of the select switches (GER or MIX) to POS1. (Using the aileron or rudder select switches may have unintentional consequences.) When the select switch is in position 1, you will have differential throttle.

In a forth mix, mix AILE => RUDD. Leave the offset at zero. Set the lower value of Pos1 to -25% (this is your choice again). Leave the upper value of Pos1 and both values of Pos0 at 0%. This will cause the left throttle to increase with right aileron stick input. Set the same select switch to POS1 as you did in the above mix.

The last two mixes assume the throttle setup for the two motors/engines are identical and not mirror images of each other. Otherwise, you may have to change the polarity of the mix rate in one or both of the last two mixes.

Allan

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
tashley

I have reworded my original post on this subject as what I am trying to achieve might be a little vague.

The model is a twin motored electric float plane with throttle, rudder and elevator.
What I want to do is:
Have the rudder and elevator on the right stick and the main throttle and differential throttle (steering) on the left sick.
I use two mixes to achieve this now but can't figure out how to put the differential steering on a switch so I can turn it on to taxi and off for flying and I would also like to have the differential throttle so the steering motor speeds up and the non steering motor does not stop when extreme travel of the stick is used.
Does this make sense?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM
AWorrest

Give the setup that I described a try on a clean model memory slot that doesn't have any previously programmed mixes. It should work exactly as you wished. When the select switch that you designate in the last two mixes is in position 0, there is no differential throttle. When it is in position one, the left motor will speed up when the aileron stick is deflected right and vice versa. The +/- 25% rates may be too small but you will have to determine what they should be by trial and error. This setup worked on my bench. Let me know how it works for you.

Allan
Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
tashley

I'll give er a go and thanks. Get back with you later.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
tashley

Allan, please take a look at these screen shots and see if these are the mixes you have suggested.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40975.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1450260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90797.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1450261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80350.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1450262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96340.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1450263  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM
tashley

I must have my mixes wrong somewhere as the right motor acts correctly, speeding up and slowing down with the application of aileron stick movement, and the mix switch function works properly as well, turning the mix on and off. The problem is that the left motor's speed control seems to be tied to the rudder stick and will not boot up unless the percentage is changed in mix 2. If I take point 0 and move it toward the minus side the esc will boot up when the rudder stick is moved to the right which tells the esc that it is safe to boot since it's throttle is at low position.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
AWorrest

I used linear mixes for all the program mixes. It works best this way. But if you wish to use the curve mixes, change the first one (RUDD => RUDD) to Point-0 = +100, Point-3 = 0, and Point-6 = -100. This is the only way to null out the rudder stick using a curve mix. The second curve (THRO => RUDD) causes something of a problem as the curve doesn’t allow the rudder channel to follow the throttle when the throttle trim is low. This sort of works. Point-0 = -100, Point-3 = 0, and Point-6 = +100. If you have the four linear program mixes available, I would recommend you use them.

Allan

Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
tashley

Thanks Allan, I'll get rid of the curve mixes and set it up using linear mixes and try that.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
tashley

"A program mix will accomplish this when the rudder is mixed with itself at -100%"

"Use a second program mix and mix THRO => RUDD at +100% rate"

Allan, by this do you mean -100% and +100% offset?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
AWorrest

No, what I meant is that the upper and lower values of  Pos0 are both +100% and the offset is left at 0 and all of the select switches are set to POS0. Also, the THRO STK is left in INH. These setting will mate the rudder channel to the throttle channel full time.

BTW, are you still using a four-channel receiver?

Allan

Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
tashley

Yes, still using a four ch rec.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
AWorrest

Here photos of the first two linear mixes I used to couple the rudder to the throttle. The aileron to throttle and aileron to rudder mixes you show are the same as I used.

Allan

Name:	Pn36939.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1450788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99864.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1450789  
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
tashley

Well, I finally got it with your help Allan. Thank you for your time, patience, and knowledge. The little floater will be much happier on the water now.

Name:	Ol31576.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1450793