Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spectrum DX5E

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
packet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum DX5E

I recently purchased a DX5E transmitter and receiver. After binding the receiver, I proceeded to check out the system. I found that the rudder function didnt work. I was going to change the transmitter to mode one anyway, so I opened it up to have a look. What I found suprised me. there were a couple of circuit traces for the rudder pot that were marred and possibly shorting together. As I am an electronics engineer, and have worked on RC radios for over 30 years, I rectified this problem and now the rudder works fine. Then I found that the trim function for elevator, formerly throttle for mode two, didnt work. The transmitter beeps when I activate the trim, but I get no movement from the servo. Yes, I did try another servo. I realize that I probably voided my warranty when I opened the transmitter. I would appreciate any assitance you can lend on this problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum DX5E

I'm not 100% familiar with the DX5, but in the X9303 you can change the step size of trim movements, so each "click" of the trim lever makes smaller or larger movements. By any chance does the DX5 do this, and could it be set to such a small step the movement isn't noticeable?

I'd be on the phone with Horizon if it was me, and it was a new radio. I've found their service to be good, and I'm sure they'd want to make it right, even if you have had the back open. After all, with some of the radios you have to open the back to change spring tension on the sticks, and I doubt if they void warranty coverage for that.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
packet

No, there is no such function on the DX5E. I do appreciate your reply, thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Dangaras

The DX5e is a really low end tx. Icould not get my forst or warranty replacement unit to accept the plug for my G4.5 simulator. Iopened the first one and it looked all magled at the plug. Sent it back to Horizon and they replaced it with a new one.

Several go-ins that Ihave had with loss of control Ifirst attributed to pilot error, then Igot my DX7 and no such errors have happened since.

Others at my local club have had issues where they were flying along normally and without warning they lost control and went in. The common thread a DX5e and an AR500. Ihave had the issue with the DX5e and the following receivers, Ar500 & an AR6100e..

If you are determined to use this TX, you should first take it back to the LHS and get a new one that you test in the shop, if not that then at least go to the Horizon website and start the repair form process (calling the 1800 support line would help also).
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been flying mine since they came out with them on my corsair...........no issues yet!