Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

AR500 blinking light

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
patnchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR500 blinking light

I am new to Spektrum radios, so if this has been asked, before, forgive me.
I recently purchased a DX7 and 2 AR500 RX's. I went through the setup in two planes. The first one, I did a few weeks ago, and have 20+ flights on it. The second RX was installed in a plane, yesterday. I went through the binding process and did all my programming. Then rebound the RX as suggested in the operation paperwork.
I took the plane to the field, this morning, switched on the DX7, plugged in a fresh pack. Everything armed and I got in several 10 minute flights before I noticed that when plugging in the battery, the light on the RX was flashing green slowly. I thought something was going wrong, even though everything seemed to be working properly. I went throught the binding process....plug battery into RX, fast flashing light, put TX in bind mode, light went out....then came on steady....All binded....pull out bind plug....light still on steady.....disconnect battery, turn off TX.....All is good.....
Ready plane for another flight....turn on TX.....plug in battery....system armed...everything works....range test....all good....but the stupid light is flashing, slowly....So I went through the binding process, again.....With the same results....
Then, frustrated, I went to check the other plane....Turn on TX, plug in pack....Everything arms....But no lights....Range check.....all is good.....Flew the plane for 10 minutes at ranges of over 100 yards...all good.
Went back to the first plane....turn on TX....plug in pack...system arms...range check....all good....Fly plane ....flew out more than 100 yards and did a bunch of 3D stuff....No issues...Land plane

So my problem......What's with the danged lights.....One RX seems to have the lights burned out or something, but performs perfectly fine. The other one gives me a solid green light after binding, but when I got back to it gives me a slow flashing light...None of this seems to affect the way the planes fly .I looked in the manual and there is ne reference to this slow flashing light....What Gives...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: AR500 blinking light

If you unplug the flight battery, without turning off and on the receiver, the lights will flash indicating you had a power failure. Its not smart enough to know you changed the battery.

If you take off with the lights steady, and land with them flashing, it means you lost power in flight.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM
patnchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, in other words....it's normal????.....That seems a little strange.....How does the RX know the difference if I flipped a switch or just unplugged the battery.....Unless you are saying that it has something to do with the power being supplied from the ESC instead of a battery being plugged into the battery port.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that with my Deans connector on the battery in my electric flat foamie, if I am not 100% successful the very first time when I go to plug in the battery, any intermittent contact, etc, is enough to make the light blink before I fly even. I've never noted any problem flying with it that way. Deans are so difficult to plug together this happens from time to time.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Spektrum transmitter boots up and picks two frequencies.

Reciever boots up, checks the last two channels it used, then searches the band for the ID code of its transmitter, when it finds the two channels it used it locks on and the lights come on solid.

Turn off the reciever (loose power, flip the switch, disconnect the battery it doesn't matter how power is taken away) and the reciever boots up and checks the last two channels it used, finds the transmitter there, and connects instantly (quick connect) and flashes the lights telling you that the reciever lost power. Its not smart enough to know you changed batteries or anything else. If you dont cycle the transmitter it flashes the lights. If you cycle the transmitter it will pick two new channels and the reicever will power up with solid lights.