Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Range differences for different spectrum receivers

Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 AM
molokaiboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range differences for different spectrum receivers

Are there exact ranges for specific receivers? Iknow there are the parkflyer rx's and the full range rx's, but what exactly does this mean?

Ifly my 50 size helis within the same space as my small parkflyers and foamies, does this mean Ican use say a AR6110E instead of a AR6200 or AR7000?
Ihave also flown some parkflyers as far away as Iwould models that were of the "Non Parkflyer"type model with a 6110 (parkflyer rx).

Ihave seen pilots install parkflyer rx's in gliders because space would not allow for an AR6200 or larger rx.

Or does the term "Parkflyer and Full range" refer to the size of the aircraft?

Aloha,
Les
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Range differences for different spectrum receivers

The terms apply to the range of the Rx. The Spektrum web site may also help. The defintions seem to vary as to range specs. You can look on the web. Some define parkflyer as 600'.

I would not fly an expensive model, and especially one that was big or fast enough to do damage without a full range Rx.

Jim D.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
peso

Be careful! Some of the smaller receivers take very long time to relink if signal is lost. They can work very well for many flights then suddenly you loose control. It has happend to me and it has happend to others. The relink time was discussed recently on this forum.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM
molokaiboy

I've been through the Spectrum RCwebsite, and for the life of me Icould not find any specs on the actual range of these receivers. Iam hoping to get a definiton on Parkflyer vs Full range. Does anyone know where Ican find actual specs as far as range is concerned. Ihave been flying JR/Spectrum since the DX6 was released years ago, but Ihave never seen actual specs for the range of these receivers other than "Parkflyer/Full range"

Ifound this on the AMAwebsite:
The AMA currently defines a park flyer as a model weighing less than 2 pounds that is incapable of reaching speeds of faster than 60 mph. It must use electric power for propulsion, be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, and remain within the pilot’s line of sight at all times.
Does this defintion also include receivers? If this is the definiton by which these receivers are classified than Isee no difference on range, as we all fly our models "within the pilot's line of sight at all times." There is no reference to range in the above definition.

Ithink all there receivers should be Full range, and just have different sizes.

Aloha,
Les
Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
JIMF14D

Not all Rx are they same and you seem to want to make a set of rules that suit you.

If you think about, even with good eyes you will not really see a 30 inch foamy at the same distance you will see you would see a 1/4 scale bipe with a 6 foot span!

Park flyer Rx are just that: Little short range Rx for little planes. Can you really tell when your plane is 559 feet from you?

Think about it. Are you going to fly around thinking..."whoops better turn back, Iam getting to 559 feet"?

Is it worth it to have some extra sensitivity to allow for onboard and off board interference?

All these things need to be factored in when you pick the Rx.

You can buy a good full range 6 channel Rx for $40 or so. What is the problem.
Have fun
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
molokaiboy

Not all Rx are they same and you seem to want to make a set of rules that suit you.
Iam in No way trying to make a set of rules that suits me. Iposted in this forum to get specific anwers to my questions from my fellow pilots as well as "Direct Manufacturer Support." And like Istated in my OP, Icould not find the specifics of the "Range" of the various receivers on the Spectrum website Icould have easily emailed Spectrum with my questions, but Ifigure if Ido it here the information would be used by more than just myself.

Iam planning on getting a Radian, Ihave an extra AR6110e rx. Can Iput this receiver in this glider safely? The answer is Idon't know. Ihave seen a couple pilots use them with no issues. But in the back of my mind Iknow it says they are for "Parkflyere Use Only." That's why Iasked a question. Sorry if Ididn't go to the glider forum and post there but Ifigured if Iasked a question that could benefit a broader a group Iposted here instead.

Park flyer Rx are just that: Little short range Rx for little planes. Can you really tell when your plane is 559 feet from you? Think about it. Are you going to fly around thinking..."whoops better turn back, I am getting to 559 feet"?
The answer is no, Ican't tell when it's 599' from me. But Ihave flown at a baseball field for a while with my T600,T700 and Raptor 50's. Idon't believe the field is more than 600'. I've also flown my parkflyers there.

You can buy a good full range 6 channel Rx for $40 or so.
Wow were are you getting NIBfull range 6 ch receivers from? I've mostly seen them listed for $79.99. Where can Iget them for $40?

Thank you for your comments JIM.

Aloha,
Les
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 PM
peso

Maybe it is not so easy to understand but it is not the range under good conditions that is the problem it is that the smaller receivers are slow to relink. Spektrum are reluctant to tell you that because then they reveal a weakness.
/PO
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: peso

Maybe it is not so easy to understand but it is not the range under good conditions that is the problem it is that the smaller receivers are slow to relink. Spektrum are reluctant to tell you that because then they reveal a weakness.
/PO

At BEST that is an opinion!
It happens to be completely without merit.

A Troll is a Troll even from Stockholm.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
JIMF14D

Try tom's RC online. 6 channel Hitec Optima Rx with battery Telemetry built in for $42 latest. And it is full range!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
JIMF14D

You have test data to show relink times versus Rx models?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

You have test data to show relink times versus Rx models?
Not all models, but all the spektrum RX's I own including the little ones all reconnect almost instantly, the 6110, 500, 7000, 9000, R921. (no difference in relink time between the 6110 and the 9000)

To answer Molokaiboy's question here is a quote from the AR6110E user guide

"Applications
Parkflyer Aircraft Only
Including: Small electric and non-powered airplanes. Mini and micro electric helicopters up to 450 size.
Note: Not for use in airplanes that have significant carbon or conductive structures."

hope that helps clear it up

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
peso

And then how have you tested it?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM
onewasp

Try this: Incidentally this was incorporated in Rxs I bought in the latter part of 2007. (R921s and AR 9000.)
Quote from the JR/Spektrum site dated Feb. 15, 2008.

The site (this one) has NOT been supported by JR/Spektrum for 3 years regardless of what the RCU heading states. At the time of the quote it was supported and was then known as: "Ask Danny at JR/Spektrum."

Quote:
“QuickConnect” Voltage Recovery System for DSM2 AIR receivers

Performance modelers have known for some time that care must be taken to assure adequate power supplies for their airborne system. It’s true for all radios systems, but it’s doubly important when using high performance servos, flying harder maneuvers, and trying to save weight with inadequate batteries and/or regulators. For more in-depth information on the topic, go to www.spektrumrc.com.

Spektrum systems are designed with an operating threshold of 3.5 volts, and lower voltages cause the system to shut down. When adequate power is regained (usually the drop is momentary), earlier Spektrum systems re-boot and rescan for two previous channels before control is restored – a process usually requiring two-five seconds.

The new “QuickConnect” feature, however, eliminates the scanning delay and restores control almost instantly. We have been integrating this upgrade into receivers in a running change. Here’s how to identify if your receiver has “QuickConnect”:

With the system operating normally, simply switch the airborne power off, then on. If your system shows virtually no delay in regaining control, your receiver includes the QuickConnect feature.

Flashing LED’s indicate low voltage alert

QuickConnect allows most flyers to fly through common low voltage situations caused by insufficient battery “headroom” – in many cases, without knowing a problem ever occurred. As a result, Spektrum engineers decided to program the system so that the receiver LED’s would flash, should the QuickConnect feature be triggered in flight. This can also be demonstrated on the bench, by toggling the airborne power.

If your receiver is missing one or both of these features, first off, it’s important to recognize that the vast majority of flyers using “normal” servos with “normal” properly charged batteries will be unaffected by low voltage issues.

However, if you’re using numerous high-performance servos and wish to have your receiver system modified, simply return it to Horizon for free upgrading. Please return your receiver and all remotes, as all components must have the upgraded software for the new features to function. The best fix, however, remains assuring adequate power supply to the airborne system with sufficient voltage “headroom”.

Your flying success is of paramount importance to Spektrum and JR, and as the leaders in spread spectrum technology, we’re constantly moving the bar upward. Also, whenever you have questions regarding your Spektrum or JR equipment, please feel free to contact our Product Support Team at 877 504-0233."

Danny Snyder
Horizon Hobby / Team JR

If you happen to have Rx's that do not meet this test return them to Horizon for a free firmware update. You pay the postage to/in; They pay it for return.
That's one typical reason (of many) why Horizon's customer service is so often praised.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
peso

But I am not talking about the quick connect function because it work very well on my receivers. I have tested it by simulating low voltage and it works as it is supposed to do. I was talking about the long time it takes for the receiver to link after it has lost the link due to a weak signal. I think this is of interest expecially if you use a receiver with marginal range. And this relink time is much longer for my AR6100E receivers than my larger receiver. I don´t know why but it reduces the confidence. It is ok for me in a parkflyer but not in anything bigger.

/PO (the troll)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM
onewasp

Troll (aka) peso

Out of range is out of range.
No change there since radio began.
Re-acquisition is a function of getting back into range not simply time, but distance and obstructions as well.

That time can be nearly instantaneous to never.
In the old days (fifty plus years ago) we used to go to polarity instantly. It worked about one time out of a thousand but there was always 'that' chance so we tried.
But then again that was after the ground based Tx so we could even consider that modern.

In the ground based Tx days I remember having out of sight ground range (5 watts out and a nine foot whip) but we lost the aircraft at about 50 feet in the air (modulation).

So much for that period in RC.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
molokaiboy

Try tom's RC online. 6 channel Hitec Optima Rx with battery Telemetry built in for $42 latest. And it is full range!
But will this rx work with my DX7?

"Applications Parkflyer Aircraft Only Including: Small electric and non-powered airplanes. Mini and micro electric helicopters up to 450 size. Note: Not for use in airplanes that have significant carbon or conductive structures."
Yes Ihave read that. Guess Ineed to get a AR7000, if Im getting a full range rx it might as well be a 7ch rx. This way if Ineed to use it on a heli Ican.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Aloha,
Les