RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/10417643-spektrum-telemetry-module-iphone-app.html)

Franco2fly 01-06-2012 12:17 PM

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

I can't get it to work...  no matter how I position it. Bracket won't fit across the back of the Saito for starters, so mounted it at an angle using one backplate screw.  Then, since just dashes on the RPM screen, I tried unbollting and had my son move it around the back plate, still nothing.

One last try will be to remove from supplied bracket altogether, but I am rather doubtful...   Helpppppp!!!!

KKKKFL

AndyKunz 01-06-2012 04:03 PM

Call our Support line! That's what we pay them for! And there are several guys there who compete at the Nats and big events and should know how to get you going.

Andy

Franco2fly 01-06-2012 07:28 PM

Finally,
I cannot report how we got it to work, we removed the actual sensor from the bracket and with the motor out kept flipping the prop and moving the sensor around on the recessed part of the motor.  All the while we watched for the red light (not the orange one) to come on.  We were about to give up when I tried power off and power back on reboot while holding the sensor against the back of the motor within the recess and below the pressure fitting.  Suddenly I saw the red light.  When the red light came on, just flipping the prop by hand caused an interruption of the light.  Now we were getting somewhere.  With the red light still illuminated, I slipped the bracket back into place and my son was able to get the set screw started and tightened.  I was still holding everything in place.  Carefully, he positioned one side of the bracket so that one backplate screw could be tightened and hold the assembly in place.  Re-installed the motor, and put the cowl back on... 

To my horror spinning the prop No RPM read out.....  good thing my son was looking over my shoulder...  "Hey Dad, don't you need to plug it back into the TM1000?"  A few tics later....  success.  Now we will see how long it works at the field tomorrow.  If after a few flights its still working you can be sure I'm not moving it or transferring this sensor to another aircraft.  Hopefully, the backorders will start to show up, and I'll purchase another one.  The next candidate is a Saito .65 with no pressure tap on the rear backplate.  Maybe the bracket will fit better.

The sensor positioning is very critical, the book indicates that it might need 5mm of space.  Mine is working with it touching the back plate.  I'll have to see how accurate the reading is.  Like I indicated, we have no idea why it didn't work initially.  Maybe the connector wasn't fully pushed in.  These tiny connectors require the deft hands of a neurosurgeon. 

The Saga continues.

KKKKFL<br type="_moz"/>

Franco2fly 01-09-2012 04:51 AM

First operational assessment.

Got my Telemetry packed J-3 in the air this weekend.  I held my breath after the installation nightmare of the RPM sensor, but the one bolt attachment seemed to hold.  It was a very windy and gusty day, so some of my observations need to be bounded by this fact. 

Start up was straight forward with no glitches.  I had my son hold the iPhone and perform read outs.  Since he had assisted me in all the wrestling of the RPM sensor, he read that out rather frequently and it seemed pretty solid.  There was not a great deal of flight worthy information as far as I was concerned.  I went from idle ~ 1000 rpm to take off which he verbally read out and I paid little attention to.  Ocassionally, he read out the Temp data which was fairly constant at 100 degrees (measured from the head right near the exhaust stack).  Altitude, which I had thought to be the more important, really was not much of a factor.  He reported big bounces between 140 feet and 70, and this while I was trying to fly straight and level.  This was a surprise to me as I didn't or couldn't see these big shifts.  Airspeed too was more consistant than I had thought it would be.  The plane came off the ground at or near 20 mph...  got to about 35 or 40 and never went much higher.  I think he said I touched 50 at one point.  Remember, this was a gusty day.

One major bo-boo on my part.  We got back down on the ground and in my excitement I quickly powered off everything.  This cleared out the Min/Max readings, which I would have liked to review.  Its obvious that I need more practice and familiarization with the product, but I'm just happy to report everything worked as advertised.  Next time I'm going to use my wingcamera to record the main screen on the iPod.  Does anyone know how far apart I can be between the Dx8 and the iPhone and have the package still function?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Pull Up Now! 01-09-2012 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Does anyone know how far apart I can be between the Dx8 and the iPhone and have the package still function?

Thanks

KKKKFL
I have to admit I'm speculating here; the only communication between the two you asked about is from the DX8 to the iPhone. Not the reverse. The TM1000 needs to hear the code pulses from the DX8. So it seems the effective range between the iPhone and the DX8 would be whatever the DX8 can output, same as the the range to the plane itself perhaps. And probably when we hear from Andy what the REAL story is I'll regret posting this! :D

AndyKunz 01-09-2012 08:28 AM

Does anyone know how far apart I can be between the Dx8 and the iPhone and have the package still function?
Hi Franco,

I'm glad to hear the good report. Congrats!

The iPhone is receiving telemetry directly from the aircraft, not from the DX8. That's why you can use it with a JR radio, not just a Spektrum.

Andy

JohnB96041 01-09-2012 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Hi Franco,

I'm glad to hear the good report. Congrats!

The iPhone is receiving telemetry directly from the aircraft, not from the DX8. That's why you can use it with a JR radio, not just a Spektrum.

Andy

Andy: I have noticed if I turn on the iphone telemetry with the Sti module, then turn on my airplane, I do not get any connection between the iphone and the airplane until I turn on the transmitter. Is the signal still coming from the airplane or does it require that the airplane and transmitter are communicating before the iphone can receive the signal?

AndyKunz 01-09-2012 11:58 AM

The telemetry module doesn't talk until it hears the transmitter. That way it knows when it is allowed to talk and not stomp on the signal from the transmitter. The tx and TM1000 take turns talking back and forth. The STi doesn't have anything to listen to until then.

Andy

ROGER RUSSELL 01-09-2012 12:33 PM

The telemetry module doesn't talk until it hears the transmitter. That way it knows when it is allowed to talk and not stomp on the signal from the transmitter. The tx and TM1000 take turns talking back and forth. The STi doesn't have anything to listen to until then.

Andy
So If I just want to use a IPhone/IPad, will I be able to use that with a 72 or a older 2.4 radio?

Will the TM1000 and IPhone talk to each other?

Have not pulled the trigger on any of this yet, but watching all comments on here.

MAy have just answered my own question.

WHEN I turn on my radio in the PLANE the TM1000 should start talking to the IP????-YES

Thanks

AndyKunz 01-09-2012 02:59 PM

When you turn on your aircraft DSM2/DSMX transmitter that the TM1000 and STi are bound to, you will get data.

The TM1000 needs to hear ITS transmitter talking. If you're using a 72MHz transmitter, it won't hear that, so it won't talk. The Spektrum/JR transmitter is a required part of the telemetry system. You cannot omit it.

The STi only listens. The TM1000 listens for the transmitter and talks when it is allowed to, based upon what it heard from the transmitter.

Andy

JohnB96041 01-09-2012 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Andy: Just got word that my RPM sensor is in the mail. Now the question. Here is a picture of the SAP180 HP 30cc gas engine from Syssa Aircraft Performance. Any suggestions as to where to mount or attache the RPM Sensor?

AndyKunz 01-09-2012 06:36 PM

I fly electrics, gave up nitro about 6 years ago, never got into ignition. Sorry, you need to get guys on FG to help or call our Support people. There are guys over there who fly ignition and can probably help.

Andy

Franco2fly 01-10-2012 05:06 AM

John b

Here's my 2 cents.

I was able to find the RPM sensor on a Local hobby shop wall and thought from the information provided on it that it was going to be 2 screws and plug her in...  NOT so...  It took my son and I about 3 hours of fiddling before success when attempting to get a Saito .40 to read.

Here's what we found.  First off, I thought I needed to spin the shaft with a starter motor as a test.  This actually was counter productive.  What we didn't realize is that the sensor has to power up correctly or nothing is going to work.  I'm guessing here, but the key that broke the code was when we saw an initial RED light on the RM1000 on power up...  Red capitalized  since there is the orange light too.  You should see both.  Again guessing here but I think that the sensor has to recognize the magnetic surroundings.  Once you see this you should see it blink with just a flip of the propeller.  We removed the sensor from the provided plastic bracket (more on this later) and while I was holding the sensor in different positions on the back of the motor my son would spin the motor.  It took us an hour before we noticed the red light on Power up... its like it is armed when you see this.  Let me digress for the Saito owners reading this thread.

We removed the sensor from the bracket when testing to find a good position.  The sensor only goes in one way in the provided bracket and doesn't really get anywhere close to the backplate, plus the Saito .40 has a pressure fitting.  The solution was to expand the hole in the bracket (done with a Dremel and small drill) and screw the sensor to the bracket BACKWARDS after widenening the slot.  What I found was that with the sensor at an angle, but just a millimeter off the base of the backplate, the red light came on and the flip of the prop produced a blink of the light.  Carefully using just one screw the sensor mounted  between the pressure fitting and the casing.  This seemed to hold up for Saturday's flying. BTW the screw that holds the sensor is some very small allen head, you'll need good eyes to see this.

Now, back to John's application, I would use a nylon washer tied to a thread inside the case, try moving the sensor around on the back plate each time starting from Power off to power on looking to get the red light.  I believe this is an indication that the sensor has established a good magnetic field reading.  You should be able (with the spark plug removed) to flip the prop and see the red light blink. You could leave the nylon washer or remove it with the thread.   From there I would use the provided bracket as a base to construct a mount that will work for you.

Hope this information helps you and let everyone know how you make out.

KKKKFL

ROGER RUSSELL 01-10-2012 05:56 AM

When you turn on your aircraft DSM2/DSMX transmitter that the TM1000 and STi are bound to, you will get data.

The TM1000 needs to hear ITS transmitter talking. If you're using a 72MHz transmitter, it won't hear that, so it won't talk. The Spektrum/JR transmitter is a required part of the telemetry system. You cannot omit it.

The STi only listens. The TM1000 listens for the transmitter and talks when it is allowed to, based upon what it heard from the transmitter.

Andy
Sorry for another question.

I have a older JR 9303 converted to 2.4 from 72.

Will that work with the TM1000 and the IPhone app?

Thanks

JohnB96041 01-10-2012 08:16 AM

John b

Here's my 2 cents.

I was able to find the RPM sensor on a Local hobby shop wall and thought from the information provided on it that it was going to be 2 screws and plug her in... NOT so... It took my son and I about 3 hours of fiddling before success when attempting to get a Saito .40 to read.

Here's what we found. First off, I thought I needed to spin the shaft with a starter motor as a test. This actually was counter productive. What we didn't realize is that the sensor has to power up correctly or nothing is going to work. I'm guessing here, but the key that broke the code was when we saw an initial RED light on the RM1000 on power up... Red capitalized since there is the orange light too. You should see both. Again guessing here but I think that the sensor has to recognize the magnetic surroundings. Once you see this you should see it blink with just a flip of the propeller. We removed the sensor from the provided plastic bracket (more on this later) and while I was holding the sensor in different positions on the back of the motor my son would spin the motor. It took us an hour before we noticed the red light on Power up... its like it is armed when you see this. Let me digress for the Saito owners reading this thread.

We removed the sensor from the bracket when testing to find a good position. The sensor only goes in one way in the provided bracket and doesn't really get anywhere close to the backplate, plus the Saito .40 has a pressure fitting. The solution was to expand the hole in the bracket (done with a Dremel and small drill) and screw the sensor to the bracket BACKWARDS after widenening the slot. What I found was that with the sensor at an angle, but just a millimeter off the base of the backplate, the red light came on and the flip of the prop produced a blink of the light. Carefully using just one screw the sensor mounted between the pressure fitting and the casing. This seemed to hold up for Saturday's flying. BTW the screw that holds the sensor is some very small allen head, you'll need good eyes to see this.

Now, back to John's application, I would use a nylon washer tied to a thread inside the case, try moving the sensor around on the back plate each time starting from Power off to power on looking to get the red light. I believe this is an indication that the sensor has established a good magnetic field reading. You should be able (with the spark plug removed) to flip the prop and see the red light blink. You could leave the nylon washer or remove it with the thread. From there I would use the provided bracket as a base to construct a mount that will work for you.

Hope this information helps you and let everyone know how you make out.

KKKKFL
Franko2fly:Not sure I understand the last paragraph. The back side of the SAP180hp 30cc gas engine is all muffler and carb. No place to mount the rpm sensor to pickup crank pin. Will this sensor react to the prop hub magnet as a point of mounting? What about mounting two small nuts and bolts in the spinner back plate?

Franco2fly 01-10-2012 08:48 AM

Might be better to post some pictures, but from your description, I think your stuck if you cannot get to the back of the engine..

I tried to move the sensor to the bottom of the Saito's engine where I thought the crank pin might pass, but was unsuccessful.  However this was before I broke the code on the Red light indicating Armed state.  If you have any smaller nitro engines, look at the back and you can see how they have a recessed back plate that keeps the lower crank rod on the pin of the crankshaft.  The sensor and its bracket seem designed to fit in this recess.

I almost went with a RPM sensor designed for ground use.  Don't know where to get one, but it uses a magnet mounted into a plate (my thought was to put it on the back side of a spinner.  Problem with this approach is that you would need to put an off setting weight to balance the plate.  I have no idea how the Airborne Nitro/gas sensor would work passing a magnet past it since it is designed to pick up the Steel of the counter weight, and also must take into account the position that it will pass the sensor face.

At this point I would follow Andy's advice and contact the Tech support folks.  If you're going to email them, have a picture of the motor's back and bottom.  I can post a picture of the back plate of a Nitro engine if it would help in the discussion.

KKKKFL

AndyKunz 01-10-2012 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

I have a older JR 9303 converted to 2.4 from 72.

Will that work with the TM1000 and the IPhone app?

Thanks
YES!

Andy

Franco2fly 01-10-2012 10:02 AM

John B
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...saitolarge.jpg

Here's a shot and you can see the recessed back plate I was talking about.  The sensor bracket is supposed to bolt to the two bottom backplate bolts with the face of the sensor a few millimeters from the counterweight.  I'm not sure what magnetic disturbance the sensor sees but I would guess that its the massive counterweight.

KKKKFL

Pull Up Now! 01-10-2012 12:05 PM

I almost went with a RPM sensor designed for ground use. Don't know where to get one, but it uses a magnet mounted into a plate (my thought was to put it on the back side of a spinner.
What's the Spektrum part number of the RPM sensor that uses a magnet? I haven't seen that....seems like the only other sensor is that little optical one that uses stick-on mirrors. I have one of those, and my plan is to paint the hub flat black and then stick on one of those mirror stickers. Should be good to go, and apparently a lot less trouble than the one we're SUPPOSED to use. Note-some rewiring needed.

Franco, can you brush a magnet near your air magnetic sensor and see if it responds? (since you're the only one in the lower 48 who seems to HAVE one. :)

I'm wondering what the guts are on this air sensor. Usually, you need something more than a hall effect sensor to pick up plain non-magnetic steel. Like a fine coil with a voltage running thru it. As the steel passes by, there is a slight bending of earth's magnetic field which in turn induces a slight pulse if the coil has enough windings. This is similar to the magnetic anomaly detector probes found on the back of the US Navy's PC3 orion. It also is (or MAY be) similar to wheel rpm sensors on carsyou'll recall the cast iron toothed "gear" looking thing mounted inside each wheel.

JohnB96041 01-10-2012 12:21 PM

Wish there was some way to get a clear answer as to how to get telemetry rpm readings from the SAP180HP 30cc gas engine. Lots of suggestions, but nothing that really helps. Also, why can't a reading be taken from the rcxel ignition module rpm out put cable that normally goes to an onboard LED. I have read the problems with setting up the sensor on a saito engine, but nothing on gas engines. How about a reading off the spark plug ignition wire. This is an electric pulse for each time the crank makes one revolution and should be strong enough to trigger the sensor (maybe too strong). Maybe need to send Todd Syssa an email for some help with his engine setup with the rpm sensor from Spektrum.

Pull Up Now! 01-10-2012 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is...

JohnB96041 01-10-2012 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

There is...

Not sure I understand the drawing. I may be a little dense! I looked at my system and there are only 2 wires coming from the hall sensor to the CDI, not three. There is a connector where the y-cable could be inserted, but then only one wire coming from the y-cable to the tm1000. Doesn't track through my brain. Please explain. Thanks.

Franco2fly 01-10-2012 05:00 PM

I'ld like to be helpful, but there's no way I'm pulling that sensor off the Saito to pass a magnet in front of it...  I think the mass of the steel counter weight is what triggers the sensor, this based on the way the red light acted.  It wasn't a quick blink, but as my son turned the prop, the light seemed to go out for 3/4's of the turn, then on for the last 1/4 which I would guess is as the counter weight went past the sensor head.

I did get an email describing the optical sensor

"Subject: magnetic rpm sensor not available

I have successfully hooked up the ground (car) rpm sensor to the air units.  They are not on back order at Horizon.  I can show you the wiring diagram to make that optical sensor work if you don''t want to wait for the magnetic one to become available.  Let me know."

He attached a picture and stated the following :

Here is the wiring diagram.  I think the optical sensor has a tiny IR emitter, and an IR sensor.  They are the little twin black dots in the picture next to the thru holes.  You stick the provided shiny dots on the rotating part, and mount the fixed part (the little circuit board) so the little black sensor is presented towards the mirrored dot.  I think you'd mount the little circuit board much like you would and EI hall sensor, and the dot would be like the magnet.

Hope that helps,
Rick

Would you like me to ask for the part number?

KKKKFL

Pull Up Now! 01-11-2012 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

There is...

Not sure I understand the drawing. I may be a little dense! I looked at my system and there are only 2 wires coming from the hall sensor to the CDI, not three. There is a connector where the y-cable could be inserted, but then only one wire coming from the y-cable to the tm1000. Doesn't track through my brain. Please explain. Thanks.
John,
Be it far from me to question how many wires you're seeing. You're there, after all. However, a glance at Syssa's website shows typical 3-wire hall sensors. I'm not sure what you have, but if there are only two wires then your rig either isn't a hall sensor, or the engine won't start. Have you run it yet? :)

Here is a picture of two of my ignition timing sensors. Both have 3 wires hooked up. Also, here is a link to the data sheet for a typical bipolar hall effect sensor. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJ8BEPMCMAI

Something isn't adding up right.

Pull Up Now! 01-11-2012 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

There is...

but then only one wire coming from the y-cable to the tm1000. Doesn't track through my brain. Please explain. Thanks.
John, I forgot to answer the other question you had about why ONE WIRE would work at all.....

I don't have a definitive answer why the originator of this diagram found that only ONE wire (the signal) was required from the hall sensor to the TM1000. BUT, I suspect it has something to do with problems caused by making the ground between the ignition module (by way of the hall sensor black wire) and the radio system COMMON. For a lot of reasons, you really would want these grounds isolated anyway, so it's probably a good thing that it doesn't work with two wires. There are a LOT of spurious high voltages knocking around inside an ignition module and to propagate all that noise into the radio system via a hall sensor ground could be very risky.