RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/10417643-spektrum-telemetry-module-iphone-app.html)

Len Todd 12-04-2012 09:13 AM

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">It might be beneficial to determine if the people with the larger phones are having a problem too. Or is this problem limited to just a few users that have congregated here because of the problem they are having and they all have the "smaller" iphones. Like I said, inadequate memory is only a remote possibility. But having to cycle things on and off sometimes points in that direction.</span><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">

On another tangent, having problems with the DX8 and the STi points back to the TM-1000. As I understand it, the TM-1000 has it's own hardware, program and antenna. It only takes flight data and power from the Rxer and broadcasts the flight data and the other inputs' data (e.g. Engine temp, Rxer voltage, etc.). Then the DX8 and the STi have separate Rxers that individually "catch" the TM-1000's broadcast. So the DX8 and STi are operating independently of each other. The only thing common to them is the TM-1000. Is it possible to try a different TM-1000? Does repositioning the TM-1000's antenna make a difference? Are the various components to close to each other? For example:Are the DX8 and STi too close to the TM-1000?(e.g. the TM-1000's transmitter could be overloading the DX8 and STi's receivers, etc.)Are the DX8 and STi too close to each other?(e.g. the DX8's transmitter could be overloading the STI's Rxer) Are you near a large metal object? Is the data/power line to the TM-1000 intermittent? Is the AR 8000's power output to the TM-1000 intermittent (e.g. cable connections or intermittent cables, etc.)?

I had a weird problem with a heli tail rotor and could isolate it to a single component. After much chagrin, I started replacing things at the tail rotor's servo and worked my way all the way back to the ESC. There was an intermittent component in the ESC. Point being: Start at where you see the problem and replace things working your way back to the battery, one component at a time and then testing before you replace a second component. If you get all the way back to the battery and still have the problem, well, ... you have the proper spare components and you know there is most-likely software is the problem. Then it is time to lean on the programmer.

I kind of have to rule out the DX-8's software as mine is working very well with my TM-1000. I assume you have the latest DX8 software.</span></span></p>

Aerocal 12-04-2012 09:21 AM

Failure to PUS.Im not even going to touch that one. With Spektrum we usually refer to it as "bind" or "connect". "Link" is the definition used by another radio manufacturer.Lets not try to confuse things further.
iDevices do have basic error reporting as part of the iOS. Settings/General/About/Diagnositics&Usage/Diagnostics&Usage Data(iPhone).The path may be slightly different on various devices. Making sense of the logfiles in another story.
Franco
Another thing I have discovered over time is that you cant get in a hurry trying to bounce around trying to get it to connect.All it does is further confuse the whole operation.Slow and methodical seems the best route in my experience.Get it a hurry and things will never work.Im sure the developers will get it smoothed out best as possible eventually.Also when I do have a problem connecting many times Ill make sure I go back to the Models screen,pull the dongle out,exit the app by going back to homescreen,double click home button and kill the STi in the list and then back to mainscreen and wait 10 secs or so.The trick to me seems to be waiting for a few seconds.Then restart app,plug in dongle and tap the model you are going to powerup.Then power model.
Dont get in a hurry.It only makes things worse.I really tend to think its lag in the iOS and processor.I havent been able to get a straight answer from anyone about what the iOS is doing exactly but I think it takes a few seconds for it to sort and execute each operation.Maybe it takes a few seconds to clear its cache.Im not sure what is going on but if your going tap tap tap and trying to make it do things too fast it freaks out and crashes.
I seem to have hit on several ways to make it reliable.The biggest is to not get in a hurry.Many times simply pulling the dongle and waiting a few seconds before plugging back in works.
Its really frustrating sometimes.

Franco2fly 12-04-2012 12:21 PM

thanks Aerocal, that is a great tip.... about waiting for the iphone to clean up things a bit.  I believe more and more that there are 2 demons at work here.  The first occurs when the TM1K and DX8 don't sync up...  indication is no bars on the DX8...  Power cycle usually cures this...  Second demon is the STi....  here it might be the iPhone memory especially if I just flew a couple other birds.  I like the technique of quitting the App altogether.  Then waiting a minute or two for things to settle down.  I seem to get more consistant operation from the STi if I let it load and give me the error, "Device NOT connected" and then jam that Dongle in the bottom.  I'll add the "Personal Time out" to my repertoir.

KKKKFL

Franco2fly 12-07-2012 03:24 AM

Here's another data point, although I don't know what it proves, but the information might be useful.  Scenario goes like this.

Pulled another airplane that's been hanging in the garage for a decade, into the workshop.  Looking inside it had an AR500, which might be OK to move the surfaces, but this is an 8 pound beast with a Saito 4 stroke .90 (Tucano) so I wanted something more.  Eventually, I easter egged receivers moving an AR8000 into the Tucano.  In all the shuffle I couldn't find a loose TM1K and with Christmas coming I dropped into the LHS and got myself a wee present.

That's all the backdrop for what happened next.  I open the new TM1K and look around the bench.  In all that swapping described in the last paragraph, what wound up on the bench was a fairly new (purchased last month) Orange 7 channel Rx with Sat.  It has a port labeled "Bind/Data"  Hmmmm  sez I, it is a DSM2 radio...  Bind plug in and Test slot assigned on the DX8  I fire up both Rx and TM1K....  Surprise everything works....  Temp rises when I hold the sensor, and Everything seems to function correctly, with all indicators identical to AR receiver usage.  But here's the wrinkle that says there is more going on between the receiver Tx and Telemetry box.  When I powered off everything, and removed the bind plug, then started everything there were NO BARS shown on the DX 8...  it gets better... cuz I accidentally scrolled the roller on the DX8 and DATA Was being exchanged...  Temp was there and it did work...  I just didn't have the bars in the upper left corner.

Just where the difference is and what is going on, I have no idea..   I only use the Orangies for Parkflyers, and while I've had NO PROBLEMS with them, I still don't have the same confidence in them, C'mon man, they are only 12 bucks with the Sat Rx, 5 bucks without.  But, it is interesting that a DSM2 radio is not always a DSM2 radio..

I also ran into a guy yesterday that is giving up on Spektrum because he crashed an expensive plane.  He was using an AR8000 radio, and a JR transmitter...  I don't know how you even do that!

Good flying to all this weekend.... Almost 70 degrees forecast here in DC.... WOW

KKKKFL

Len Todd 12-07-2012 06:51 AM

<span style="font-size: larger;">

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I also ran into a guy yesterday that is giving up on Spektrum because he crashed an expensive plane. He was using an AR8000 radio, and a JR transmitter... I don't know how you even do that!

If you like, I can give you the contact information of a friend of mine who is giving up on Futaba, becasue he crashed an expensive plane. Maybe your guy and my guy can get their heads together and figure out what really happened.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif</span>
<br type="_moz" />

Franco2fly 12-07-2012 06:58 AM

hahahaha...

Ya,  and this guy swears that he only experiences this problem at one specific location....    Maybe, I just know that since purchasing the 2.4g Spektrum system, I have had no RF issues...   I never had any with 72 megs either...  I would have to reach back to 27 meg days to recall a link problem.  I am conscious of metal to metal, and unintended antenna elements.  I just believe that many of the reported link problems are really "BATTERY" problems....  ESC's and BEC;s  are black art devices...  when the smoke escapes, they stop working.

KKKKFL

Len Todd 12-07-2012 08:52 AM

<font size="3">If he had relatively new spectrum gear, he may have been able to pull the flight log data and see if the link was really involved. But, he may have had to pull the batteries right away thus no data. If he was using a BEC for the ignition (vs. a separate power system) well, ... IMHO I guess he was just asking for trouble. I have experienced intermittent BEC failures in a heli. The BECs tested good on the bench and crashed in the field. Come to think of it, my friend who crashed was using a BEC, </font>

Franco2fly 12-07-2012 11:18 AM

There you go. Black art electricity

JohnB96041 12-12-2012 03:18 PM

Any updates coming soon for the TM1000 or the DX8?

orthobird 12-25-2012 04:24 PM

i have a question, can someone help me?<div>i have a JR 9503 TX</div><div>and want to set up telemetry on my 40% scale aerobatic plane.</div><div>
</div><div>this is what i want to purchase:</div><div>
</div><div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0.5em; border-top-style: none; position: relative; " class="item first" id="wrapper1"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 15em; height: 15em; border: 1px solid rgb(223, 223, 223); float: left; position: relative; left: 0px; " class="prod-img">https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086..._a0?$shopcart$</div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0em 1em 1em; float: left; width: 22em; display: inline-block; line-height: 1em; " class="prod-descript"><h3 style="margin: 0.1em 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">RPM Sensor, Magnetic TLS1-ROT DMSS</h3><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">by: JR</p><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Item: JRP03431</p><div style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; display: inline-block; " class="prod-ship"><dl style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0.3em; font-size: 1.2em; overflow: hidden; line-height: 1; " class="status instock" id="prod-ship-outer1"><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; font-size: 12px; "><span style="color: rgb(0, 187, 0); margin: 0px; " id="prod-ship-inner1" class="alert">In stock</span></dd></dl></div><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Price: <span style="text-decoration: line-through; " class="reg-price" id="reg-price1"><span id="reg1">Reg. </span><span id="reg-price-dollars1" class="dollars">$75.99</span> </span><span style="color: green; font-weight: bold; " class="sale-price" id="sale-price1"><span style="color: rgb(0, 153, 0); " id="sale-price-dollars1" class="sale dollars">$49.99</span></span></p></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; width: 16.5em; height: 11em; display: inline-block; " class="prod-info"><input style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; color: rgb(121, 121, 121); width: 1.7em; text-align: center; " class="populated" type="text" value="1" id="quantity1"/> <label style="font-size: 1.2em; position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden" for="quantity">Quantity</label><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; font-size: 1.2em; display: inline; " id="subtotal1">$49.99</p><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; background-image: url(https://www.horizonhobby.com/media/close.png) !important; width: 2em; height: 2em; background-position: 100% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; "> <span style="position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden">remove</span></div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 16em; float: left; width: 35em; " class="actions"><ul style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); width: 20em; "><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Move to Wish List<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Gift Wrapping[/list]</div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 2em 0px 0.5em; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(223, 223, 223); position: relative; " class="item" id="wrapper2"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 15em; height: 15em; border: 1px solid rgb(223, 223, 223); float: left; position: relative; left: 0px; " class="prod-img">https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086..._a0?$shopcart$</div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0em 1em 1em; float: left; width: 22em; display: inline-block; line-height: 1em; " class="prod-descript"><h3 style="margin: 0.1em 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">RA01T DMSS Telemetry Antenna Mod Full Range</h3><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">by: JR</p><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Item: JRP03408</p><div style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; display: inline-block; " class="prod-ship"><dl style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0.3em; font-size: 1.2em; overflow: hidden; line-height: 1; " class="status instock" id="prod-ship-outer2"><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; font-size: 12px; "><span style="color: rgb(0, 187, 0); margin: 0px; " id="prod-ship-inner2" class="alert">In stock</span></dd></dl></div><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Price: <span style="text-decoration: line-through; " class="reg-price" id="reg-price2"><span id="reg2">Reg. </span><span id="reg-price-dollars2" class="dollars">$64.99</span> </span><span style="color: green; font-weight: bold; " class="sale-price" id="sale-price2"><span style="color: rgb(0, 153, 0); " id="sale-price-dollars2" class="sale dollars">$42.99</span></span></p></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; width: 16.5em; height: 11em; display: inline-block; " class="prod-info"><input style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; color: rgb(121, 121, 121); width: 1.7em; text-align: center; " class="populated" type="text" value="1" id="quantity2"/> <label style="font-size: 1.2em; position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden" for="quantity">Quantity</label><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; font-size: 1.2em; display: inline; " id="subtotal2">$42.99</p><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; background-image: url(https://www.horizonhobby.com/media/close.png) !important; width: 2em; height: 2em; background-position: 100% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; "> <span style="position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden">remove</span></div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 16em; float: left; width: 35em; " class="actions"><ul style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); width: 20em; "><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Move to Wish List<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Gift Wrapping[/list]</div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 2em 0px 0.5em; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(223, 223, 223); position: relative; " class="item" id="wrapper3"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 15em; height: 15em; border: 1px solid rgb(223, 223, 223); float: left; position: relative; left: 0px; " class="prod-img">https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086..._a0?$shopcart$</div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0em 1em 1em; float: left; width: 22em; display: inline-block; line-height: 1em; " class="prod-descript"><h3 style="margin: 0.1em 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">Temp Sensor TLS2-TMP 30C~230C DMSS</h3><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">by: JR</p><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Item: JRP03437</p><div style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; display: inline-block; " class="prod-ship"><dl style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0.3em; font-size: 1.2em; overflow: hidden; line-height: 1; " class="status instock" id="prod-ship-outer3"><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; font-size: 12px; "><span style="color: rgb(0, 187, 0); margin: 0px; " id="prod-ship-inner3" class="alert">In stock</span></dd></dl></div><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Price: <span style="text-decoration: line-through; " class="reg-price" id="reg-price3"><span id="reg3">Reg. </span><span id="reg-price-dollars3" class="dollars">$59.99</span> </span><span style="color: green; font-weight: bold; " class="sale-price" id="sale-price3"><span style="color: rgb(0, 153, 0); " id="sale-price-dollars3" class="sale dollars">$39.99</span></span></p></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; width: 16.5em; height: 11em; display: inline-block; " class="prod-info"><input style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; color: rgb(121, 121, 121); width: 1.7em; text-align: center; " class="populated" type="text" value="1" id="quantity3"/> <label style="font-size: 1.2em; position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden" for="quantity">Quantity</label><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; font-size: 1.2em; display: inline; " id="subtotal3">$39.99</p><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; background-image: url(https://www.horizonhobby.com/media/close.png) !important; width: 2em; height: 2em; background-position: 100% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; "> <span style="position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden">remove</span></div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 16em; float: left; width: 35em; " class="actions"><ul style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); width: 20em; "><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Move to Wish List<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; ">Gift Wrapping[/list]</div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 2em 0px 0.5em; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(223, 223, 223); position: relative; " class="item" id="wrapper4"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 15em; height: 15em; border: 1px solid rgb(223, 223, 223); float: left; position: relative; left: 0px; " class="prod-img">https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086..._a0?$shopcart$</div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0em 1em 1em; float: left; width: 22em; display: inline-block; line-height: 1em; " class="prod-descript"><h3 style="margin: 0.1em 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); ">Altitude Sensor TLS1-ALT, DMSS</h3><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">by: JR</p><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Item: JRP03432</p><div style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; display: inline-block; " class="prod-ship"><dl style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0.3em; font-size: 1.2em; overflow: hidden; line-height: 1; " class="status instock" id="prod-ship-outer4"><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; font-size: 12px; "><span style="color: rgb(0, 187, 0); margin: 0px; " id="prod-ship-inner4" class="alert">In stock</span></dd></dl></div><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; ">Price: <span style="text-decoration: line-through; " class="reg-price" id="reg-price4"><span id="reg4">Reg. </span><span id="reg-price-dollars4" class="dollars">$119.99</span> </span><span style="color: green; font-weight: bold; " class="sale-price" id="sale-price4"><span style="color: rgb(0, 153, 0); " id="sale-price-dollars4" class="sale dollars">$79.99</span></span></p></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; width: 16.5em; height: 11em; display: inline-block; " class="prod-info"><input style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; color: rgb(121, 121, 121); width: 1.7em; text-align: center; " class="populated" type="text" value="1" id="quantity4"/> <label style="font-size: 1.2em; position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden" for="quantity">Quantity</label><p style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 2.5em; font-size: 1.2em; display: inline; " id="subtotal4">$79.99</p><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; background-image: url(https://www.horizonhobby.com/media/close.png) !important; width: 2em; height: 2em; background-position: 100% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; "> <span style="position: absolute; top: -9999em !important; left: -9999em !important; " class="hidden">removeI</span></div></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 16em; float: left; width: 35em; " class="actions"><ul style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); width: 20em; "><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.4em 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 1.1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Move to Wish List[/list]<div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">my question is, how do i monitor all this, or where is the "receiver" for this telemetry data.</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">i know my transmitter is not capable of doing this.</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">what else do i need???</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#333333">
</font></div></div></div></div>

JohnB96041 12-25-2012 04:32 PM

You will need an iPhone, the Spektrum STI software downloaded from iTunes, and the STi Interface for the iphone Item: SPMTR1000. Then you or a helper can monitor all your gadgets. Hope you also have the TM1000 in the airplane.

orthobird 12-25-2012 04:35 PM

Hi John, thanks,<div>so i should not use the Jr telemetry antenna, instead the TM 1000?</div><div>can i stil use the JR sensors?</div>

JohnB96041 12-25-2012 04:51 PM

I am not familiar with the Jr telemetry antenna. I use the DX8, the AR8000 receiver, the TM1000 DSMX Full Range Aircraft Telemetry Module. I have the airspeed module, airspeed module, Altitude module, RPM sensor, GPS sensor, Battery sensor, Head Temp sensor, and the Aircraft Telemetry 3-Axis GForce Sensor. All are monitored via the DX8 and an Iphone with the Spekctum Sti software from iTunes and the STi Telemetry Interface device attached to the iPhone. I love how all this works. Have all this in a Funtana 125 with a 30cc gas engine.

orthobird 12-25-2012 04:56 PM

Hmm, this will not work with me then, since i do not have the DX8, WHICH IS telemetry ready right?

JohnB96041 12-25-2012 04:58 PM

Yes, the DX8 is telemetry ready, just need the latest firmware update installed.

Franco2fly 12-26-2012 03:40 AM

Wow..  you are really in a different price bracket than me...  I started with a Spektrum DX7s... (Now have an 8) but your price list blows me away.

40 bucks for a Temp sensor?    When you purchase a TM1000 it comes with the Temp sensor free..  I now do RPM with the optical pick-up even on my 20CC engines, just paint the back of the spinner black and place the silver tape on the back mounting is pretty easy, this costs 5 bucks...
Altitude and Airspeed sensors are still 30 to 40 bucks, and for me GPS and G-Force are sensors that I just can't really endorse.  They work, but the data is of limited use "AT THIS TIME".... schools out....

The iPhone STi application is an ABSOLUTE must have.  You cannot fly and look down at the Telemetry, but you can turn on the Audio within the app,  and have the readings spoken to you.  A comfortable earphone set up still eludes me..  I don't like the wires hanging down in front of a spinning prop, but the wireless earbud is a little costly..  So far my approach is to wear a shirt with a breast pocket, then coil up the extra earphone wire so there's just enough to get to my ear from the phone.

orthobird 12-26-2012 04:05 AM

Thank you Franco.  so i did realize that after thorough reading.<div>i ordered the SPektrum module, the spectrum Sti, the spektrum gps, and the rpm sensor.</div><div>my engine is a DA 170 , would you not use the magnet style on this application, or do you believe optical is better?</div>

Franco2fly 12-26-2012 04:39 AM

Using a DA-170 you DO NOT require the magnetic pick-up...  Here, the way to go is to use a "Y" connector on the lead that goes to the ignition box.  The DA-170 should have a magnetic pick up on the collar that feeds the Ignition box.  You just split off the signal and plug the other half to the TM1000.    I do this on my RCGF 20 that is a copy of the DLE-20 and it works well... 

Here's a link where we discuss the pick up you will need.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm

KKKKFL

orthobird 12-26-2012 04:44 AM

Oh wow, this is great news!!  so much easier.<div>i can just cancel that rpm sensor then!!!</div>

Franco2fly 12-26-2012 05:36 AM

Yup,
Like I said, the pick up on my RCG -20 has enough Ummmpa to drive both the ignition box and the TM1000.  Don't forget the Optical route for the future...  I'm currently using it for a model that has a Saito .91 four stroke...  since four strokes have the carb on the back (at least Saito's) trying to get a Hall effect sensor to pick up the counter weight was impossible.  I had used the optical on electrics where I put black electrical tape around the can of the motor, leaving a narrow silver stripe and this approach worked very well.  Then I experimented with using the back plate of a spinner for the Four stroke, and it was just as easy.  It;s a tip worth remembering especially since it such a low cost approach.

KKKKFL

orthobird 12-26-2012 06:45 AM

so you think it would be safe to do so with my da 170 on an airplane that has cost me over 7000 dollars?<div>
</div>

Franco2fly 12-26-2012 08:03 AM

That's alot of money to have in a Model Airplane.... 

However, that said, the only thing that could possible happen WRT "Y" on the ignition , is that the motor does not get spark from the ignition....  I would say that were it my 7 grand airplane, I would put a full tank of fuel through the engine with the plane firmly tethered to the ground...  the additional draw of current should be miniscule, but testing alone would give me the warm feeling prior to actual flight.

Post a picture and keep us posted.

KKKKFL

orthobird 12-26-2012 08:06 AM

Sounds good<div>I will try and post you all</div>

orthobird 12-26-2012 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i was looking at my engine, and besides the cdi hall sensor that is already there, on the crankcase, near to cdi sensor, there are two small threaded holes where it appears i can install a second sensor.
i have this sensor, which came out of my saito FG 36, which i replaced. reason i replaced it is that i was using dremel to make a wider opening on cowl, and inadvertantly, it removed some of the plastic. it still funtioned well, but not knowing itf that could affect it in future, i decided to replace it.

why not use this instead and not even mess with the Y connector.<br type="_moz" />

Len Todd 12-26-2012 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">That's alot of money to have in a Model Airplane....<span class="apple-converted-space"></span></span><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">

<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">However, that said, the only thing that could possible happen WRT "Y" on the ignition , is that the motor does not get spark from the ignition.... I would say that were it my 7 grand airplane, I would put a full tank of fuel through the engine with the plane firmly tethered to the ground... the additional draw of current should be miniscule, but testing alone would give me the warm feeling prior to actual flight.</span>

<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Post a picture and keep us posted.</span>
<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">
</span>

<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">When I put in a "Y" connector, on the DLE 111s's Hall Effect Circuit, I get no spark. I have tried two different "Ys". Given that I already have RPM on a separate readout on the plane, RPM on the DX 8 is not that critical to me. I may frigg around with it some more on the next build, which I started today.</span>

<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">I can hear when the engine is not tuned correctly. If you get &lsquo;er too rich she sputters and if you get it to lean, it makes a lot of noise and goes slower at WOT. One look at the head temps confirms a lean condition and down she comes for an adjustment. So RPM on the Transmitter (or a second device) seems to me like trivia. It is no tlike you were able to make a carb adjustment while it is in the air, etc.</span>

<span style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">$7 K U.S. is a lot of money for a gas plane. (But, that is not to say that it is never done.) With these investments, it is good to have a quick peek at head temps and Rxer voltages, etc But trying to get all the telemetry to work on a second device that tends to lock up, seems like a distraction from the fun. KISS.</span></span></p>