RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spektrum DX18 telemetry data download (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11194039-spektrum-dx18-telemetry-data-download.html)

Sedbergh 41 08-15-2012 12:11 AM

Spektrum DX18 telemetry data download

Reading the DX18 advertising flyers they imply that telemetry data from the TM1000 can be saved to the Rx SD card and transferred to a computer.

The manual is very vague on this aspect.

Can anyone explain

a) how to save and read the data and

b) confirm that the data is chronological ie it is not just the cumulative figures shown on the Tx screen<br type="_moz" />

electricpete 08-15-2012 01:10 AM

RE: Spektrum DX18 telemetry data download

I tried to look at the fault log om my dx 18',as I was using to 3 cell 2200 batteries in parallel to provide over ten volt that was set on the telemetry. I was flying away from me, using ar6200 and tm, 1000. I lost all control and it continued to land( probably better) no control. I checked tel reading, no reading. When I got near aircraft the tele read 11 volts and I taxied back to flight line. When I charged batteries the lower one too 2100 maHr. Should I be able to read the error on sd card, if so how do I set it up.

When I bind a previous bound tx8 model the first bind attempt come up bind failed, with no tele attached to Rx how does it know

Peter

AndyKunz 08-15-2012 08:18 AM

After you load the SD card into your computer, you can e-mail it to your iPad and use the STi application to graph/review it.

Andy

Sedbergh 41 08-15-2012 09:53 AM

Andy

Does that mean I cannot review the data on my PC? I don't have an i-pad!

I am currently trying to resolve a problem on my &pound;1000+ Alpina glider where I am getting a very high number of Frame losses and Holds ( 700 frames losses and 9 holds on a 10minute flight) using an AR9300 receiver. If I could review the timing of these events I might get some insight as to what is happening. ( The Rx and telemetry module have gone back to Horizon Hobbies and I am rapidly losing trust in the DX18)

Surely it is not difficult to save the data and export to a simple PC program.

I have a &pound;65 device for height limited electric soaring competitions. It is no bigger than a thumbnail and can save several hours of altitude data which is easily downloaded vis a USB cable to a simple graphing program. Surely Spektrum can do similar with all the capacity of the SD card.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

AndyKunz 08-15-2012 11:54 AM

Are you using the latest version (1.02) of the DX18 code? It does an update that will improve RF performance.

The telemetry file is the raw data off the air, plus a header of some config information and each record is timestamped. Right now there is no PC app; the STi provides a great interface for the data, though.

There is a project over on RCG in the DIY Electronics forum that might be of interest to you.

Andy

Svuppe 08-15-2012 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sedbergh.
Are you able to build a little electronic project, and program an AVR processor? Or know anyone that could?

I have recently made a small AVR based project, to help mevisualize some radio problems I had with my DX18. Problems that sound very much like yours. It requires only a small AVR (tiny2313) and a few other parts. Nothing expensive. Building and programming it may beyour biggest problem. It gets hooked up between the receivers data output and the telemetry transmitter. Sitting there, it can do various things:

It can read and analyze the frame losses, and display how bad a radio connection you've had during flight.
It can alter the frame loss data going to the telemetry module, so you can use it to set off an alarm in your transmitter, as soon as the radio link quality falls below a certain threshold (like 10 or 20% errors). This provides an early warning, that most likely will give you time to turn your airplane around, avoiding a total loss of signal.
And finally, it can provide an analog output signal indicating the signal quality (based on the current rate of frame losses). This analog signal can be recorded by various loggers like Eagle Tree eLoggers (the one I use). Record this signal together with GPS, and you can get a visual representation of where you are having problems.

I used the last feature to make this image, displaying where I lost frames. Blue is perfect connection, going down to red being total loss of all frames within a second (equal to a hold). As you can see,flying some distance away and the signal degrades all the way down to a total loss. Luckily the DX18 wasn't in control of the airplane in this test. After seeing this result, I sent my DX18 in for repair.

I'll gladly go into more detail about this device, if you are able to build something like this.

Mikael

electricpete 08-16-2012 12:05 AM

Thanks, but I,m not sure which program I email to sti, I'm a little confused
Peter

AndyKunz 08-16-2012 10:52 AM

You e-mail a telemetry data file (SPEKTRUM.TLM) to the phone.

Andy

Sedbergh 41 08-16-2012 01:07 PM

Andy

Sorry but you've lost me.

If I download a Spektrum.TLM file to my PC and send it to myself it will immediately appear in my PC Inbox and be deleted from my ISP mailbox. The only time I can download e-mails to my i-touch is when my computer is offline and therefore they are still on the ISP mailbox.

Even if I were able to get the file to my i-touch mail app I cannot see how to then transfer it into STi.

Actually I haven't even got to the stage of understanding how to get my DX18 to start recording telemetry data!

Peter<br type="_moz" />

freechip 08-16-2012 02:26 PM

To start the logging on the DX18 is very simple.

Access the telemetry setup and scroll to File Setting. Don't have the radio in front of me right now but it should be the last item you can scroll to. There you will see the file name and the switch selection to activated the logging and the ENABLE function as well.

Logged files on your Tx are stored on the SD card as a TLM file.Transfer the file from the card with a PC or something that will allow you to take the file and send it as an attachment in an e-mail.You open that e-mail with the iDevice you have the STi app installed on.When you click on the attachment you get a dialog with a button to import it to STi.It will create an icon on the models screen of the STi app labeled "e-mail attachments".You tap that icon and it will open to the files page and then you can select then graph or replay it the same as you would a log that was created with the STi app itself.

This last portion comes from a friend of mine from another forum, it saved me from having to retype everything, hope he doesn't mind. :)

Aerocal 08-16-2012 08:59 PM

Not a problem freechip.I was kind of away today.I dont watch this forum as close but will pay closer attention to it.
Sedberg
If you still have trouble ask again.We will get you through it

Sedbergh 41 08-17-2012 01:43 AM

Aerocal &amp; Freechip

Thanks for the help. I have downloaded the STi app to my i-touch and am beginning to understand how to use it.

However I cannot test it for real at present as my telemetry module and Ar 9300 Rx are at Horizon Hobbies being checked out.

I think I can get around the e-mail problem by saving the .TLM file from the SD card to my laptop and e-mailing it to myself with the main PC offline. Then the e-mail will stay in the ISB mailbox and I can download it to my i-touch.

All this to understand why I get so many holds on my Alpina with my new DX18.

Thanks again.

Peter

rapega 08-17-2012 01:49 AM

Or you can change your mail settings to not delete received mails from your ISPs server...<div>
</div><div>Cheers, Ralf</div>

Sedbergh 41 08-17-2012 04:14 AM

Now why didn't I think of that!

Thanks Ralf
<br type="_moz" />

rapega 08-17-2012 04:36 AM

You're welcome!

AndyKunz 08-17-2012 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Sedbergh 41

All this to understand why I get so many holds on my Alpina with my new DX18.
Peter,

Are you using version 1.02? There was a notice in the e-mail that went out Monday that talks about RF improvements as part of the package.

Andy

Sedbergh 41 08-18-2012 01:46 AM

Andy

I have just installed 1.02 but have not had chance to use or test it yet.

electricpete 08-18-2012 02:24 AM

Is the 1.02 for uk I thought it was for US

Peter

Aerocal 08-18-2012 09:56 PM

v1.02 is for both US and EU users.

Sedbergh 41 08-19-2012 02:36 AM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">I have recently made a small AVR based project, to help mevisualize some radio problems I had with my DX18. Problems that</span>sound<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">very much like yours. It requires only a small AVR (tiny2313) and a few other parts. Nothing expensive. Building and programming it may beyour biggest problem. It gets hooked up between the receivers data output and the telemetry transmitter. Sitting there, it can do various things:</span>

Svuppe

I can probably get a friend to program the AVR and possibly even the building.

I don't have an Eagle tree logger or gps module but it does sound as though your device allows more detaiuled examination of the frame losses.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

electricpete 08-19-2012 04:08 AM

I am interested in sharing in this project and am wondering were you live in England . I fly at old warden and ivinghoe beacon, we're do you live and fly.
Peterbwood

Svuppe 08-19-2012 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Sedbergh 41

I can probably get a friend to program the AVR and possibly even the building.
I don't have an Eagle tree logger or gps module but it does sound as though your device allows more detaiuled examination of the frame losses.
Precisely. And that is exactly why I made it in the first place. The interface tosome sort oflogger only came afterwards.

It can be used in three different ways:
  1. It can monitor the frame loss in relation to time. This can then be read and evaluated after the flight. This require either the Spektrum Flight Log (SPM9540) display, or a telemetry module and then use the transmitter as display.
  2. It can report frame loss as a percentage. This is used with a telemetry module to set off an alarm in the transmitter. As soon as the signal is good enough (below the threshold), the alarm clears itself. It is quite useful to get an early warning before total loss of signal.
  3. It can be used together with a logger of some sort, Eagle Tree or others. Anything that can log an analog voltage from 0 to 4V.
I think the first two could be of good use to you.
I will make a webpage with everything you (or your friend) need to know, in order to build and use it. I hope I can have it ready later today.

Mikael
<br type="_moz" />

Sedbergh 41 08-19-2012 07:28 AM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">I am interested in sharing in this project and am wondering were you live in England . I fly at old warden and ivinghoe</span>beacon<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">, we're do you live and fly.</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; " /><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">Peterbwood</span>
Electric Pete

Lets have a look whats involved in Mikaels project first.

I live in Berkshire - about 1hr 20 mins from Ivinghoe.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

Sedbergh 41 08-19-2012 07:34 AM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">I will make a webpage with everything you (or your friend) need to know, in order to build and use it. I hope I can have it ready later today.</span>
Thanks Mikael

I look forward to seeing the vwbpage.

Peter<br type="_moz" />

Svuppe 08-19-2012 08:44 AM

Here is my quick and dirty draft of a webpage:
www.ejberg.dk/datalogenhancer/