RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Radio incompatible with fingers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11255544-radio-incompatible-fingers.html)

CoytAW 10-08-2012 01:30 PM

Radio incompatible with fingers

Just started flying RC. Flown 1:1 for years, but this is something I can afford. Got a plane and flew it but I'm a lefty and found using my right thumb to be frustrating. I can compensate, but it will never be the same as flying goofy. Is there a way I can hack my DX5e into a mode 3 or at the least BUY a mode 3 DX5e? I'm not financially secure:eek:, so saving bucks is a huge deal for me.

Aerocal 10-08-2012 06:17 PM

RE: Radio incompatible with fingers

Your brain will overcome.Trust me. You will be better off in the long run staying with Mode2.
Being a full scale pilot your brain should immediately grasp having ail-ele on the same stick regardless of what side it is on.Im guessing you didnt spend much time flying from the right seat? Its kind of the same as a conventional forward back seating.Right hand on stick left on throttle and feet on the pedals.Im also a lefty.Ive done alot of flying from the right seat and alot of conventional.It just clicked right away.
The other thing is that if you ever fly anything else the chances are 99.some% that it will be Mode2.You will be really screwed if you adjust your brain to something non standard and then try to use something else.

4*60 10-08-2012 07:04 PM

As a right hander, I feel it would be almost impossible for me to control a model with my left hand (pitch and roll). Maybe it was years of full size soaring. Anyway I would consider mode change. HitecAurora, Spektrum dx8 and as I understand it many other modern transmitters.

Aerocal 10-08-2012 07:47 PM

Coyt
I guess I just assumed but do you actually have a Mode 2? That would be ail-ele on the right stick and thr-rud on the left.
That would be the standard in North America.99+% will be Mode 2.

AndyKunz 10-09-2012 06:35 AM

I like to kid my German friends who fly Mode 1. I tell them, "Mode 2 is good enough for the F-16 pilots defending your country. :D"

Andy

CoytAW 10-09-2012 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

I like to kid my German friends who fly Mode 1. I tell them, ''Mode 2 is good enough for the F-16 pilots defending your country. :D''

Andy
Haha good one. My buddy calls mode 1 "noob stik" for those who might tweak ele/ail on accident.

To clear something up:

Your brain will overcome.Trust me. You will be better off in the long run staying with Mode2.
Being a full scale pilot your brain should immediately grasp having ail-ele on the same stick regardless of what side it is on.Im guessing you didnt spend much time flying from the right seat? Its kind of the same as a conventional forward back seating.Right hand on stick left on throttle and feet on the pedals.Im also a lefty.Ive done alot of flying from the right seat and alot of conventional.It just clicked right away.
The other thing is that if you ever fly anything else the chances are 99.some% that it will be Mode2.You will be really screwed if you adjust your brain to something non standard and then try to use something else.
Yeah, I use my friend's mode 2. The problem isn't brain, as I can fly safely enough and land to boot. The thing is, my right hand consists of 2 transplanted toes with limited range-of-motion. I have to move my whole forearm to fly. It's not really a difficult thing to master, it's just a pain in the ass for trying to do snap-rolls and other fancy-pants maneuvers. I didn't get to do snap-rolls in my (older) buddy's old cessna 150 for obvious reasons and it kinda stinks that i can't do them terrifyingly low with this mode2. I could easily learn any of the modes but of course nobody likes to make mode 3/4 an option, it seems. I have found dx4e's with mode 1&3 option but that's 70 freaking dollars (more than the 5-channel dx5) which hardly seems fair. If I must, I'll get this 4-ch crap to start and save for a far sexier Tx but it does burn to have to pay more for a limited piece just to have a simple mode-change.

Thanks for the inputs, guys.

-C

CoytAW 10-09-2012 04:06 PM

NEWS! This guy on another thread I posted (same topic) says this:

G'day Mate,
You should be able to fix your TX to work mode 3, it is only reverse mode 1, so you have to start with mode 1, so rudder & throttle is on right stick, ailerons & elevators on left stick, is that what you need?
if so just plug rudder into aileron slot & aileron into rudder slot on the Receiver.
Easy fixed.
Is that feasible? Is it something a radio-noob should shy away from?

Aerocal 10-09-2012 10:25 PM

That should work fine on a non computer radio.I guess in your situation it would be prudent to go with whatever mode works for you.
As you move forward it will be a simple process with a DX7s or above.Simple mode changes from 1-4.

CoytAW 10-15-2012 11:42 AM

Okay well I'll give it a whack and see if it flies. *crosses fingers*

MajorTomski 10-15-2012 12:24 PM

You might also consider the "thumb and finger" pinch technique. Some folks feel it gives more accurate movement and feed back.