RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Binding power safe AR12120 to DX18 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11630226-binding-power-safe-ar12120-dx18.html)

Johnny9390 06-13-2016 05:49 PM

Binding power safe AR12120 to DX18

I updated my DX18 gen1 to latest firmware 1.11 and I'm having trouble binding it to my BVM F16 with AR12120. The RX is going through a cortex gyro, don't know if that makes a difference. Have no issues binding it to my other aircraft just this one.

I even vent tried removing the switch and plugging batteries directly to get in bind mode. All satellites blink but I get a bind failed all the time. Tried replacing SAT A with a new satellite and nothing. Got it to bind one time but none of the satellites came on. Only the blue lights on the receiver but got no movements on my servos.

Any ideas??

this jet was purchased second hand. Flew it same day as I bought it. Copied buddy's setting to SIM card. Updated my radio firmware, installed model into radio and tried to bind and nothing. He was using same radio just gen 2.

Johnny9390 06-13-2016 06:19 PM

Ok tried it again but stood a few feet away from plane. RX Bound to tx but after binding and removing bind plug DX is on and blue lights on but none of the satellites are on. And also no movement of any servos etc

Zeeb 06-13-2016 08:01 PM

Well if none of the satellites are on, it's not bound as that rx has no RF deck in the main rx unit, that's why it needs four satellites. Do you have all four satellites plugged in? Can you get it into the bind mode where all of the satellites are blinking rapidly? If not, are you sure that the bind plug is in the correct slot on the rx, i'ts pretty easy to miss having the plug in the right slot on the rx as the labeling isn't the greatest.

Long story short; if you cannot get all the satellites flashing rapidly at the same time, you're wasting your time and you should start investigating the possibility of bad sat leads. OH, one other quick thought; do you have the on/off switch that came with the rx? It's not a regular on/off switch and cannot use a regular power switch.

Johnny9390 06-13-2016 08:37 PM

Yes I can get all satellites flashing when in bind mode. Press bind on tx. TX says it's bound but no satellites on after bind. Yes I do have the on/off switch that comes with rx. Even tried bypassing the switch by disconnecting it and powering the rx straight with the batteries. Which are lipos. What's weird is we flew the plane earlier that day and all was well using my buddy's tx that it was originally bound to so I know it's all working.

Zeeb 06-14-2016 09:18 AM

Had to edit this post, I was thinking about the 12X and got the DX18 out to look....

In the setup screen, have you selected the DSMX mode? Sometimes getting the thing to bind is and issue if the frame rate is set to 11ms. Since I cannot tell the difference, I always use the 22ms frame rate.

One other thought, try selecting a new model on the tx and see if you can get it to bind to the new memory slot. Oh, that tx will always say it's bound in my experience, doesn't mean it's so. It's been awhile since I tinkered with my DX18, but I treat it much like my 12X; satellites flashing rapidly, bind button pressed, tx on, satellites go dark, I hold the bind button until the satellites come back on solid, usually one at a time and then I release the bind button and pull out the bind plug. Since there is not a bind button on the DX18, just select "bind" when all the satellites are blinking.

If none of that works, we're 'gonna have to get Andy Kunz from Horizon on this problem.

Johnny9390 06-14-2016 11:29 AM

There is a bind button on the DX18. Its the push button I. Called Horizon Hobby and there are at a loss as well. GOnna try and bind to another receiver of the same type and see if that works. Whats weird is all my other models bound no problem. And yes its set to DSMX and 22ms frame rate. TX says its bound but RX is not putting out anything and satellites are all blank after it says its bound..

AndyKunz 06-14-2016 11:32 AM

I don't know what to say about that situation. You need about 6' between tx and rx. That should be it.

Zeeb:

1) The DX18 DOES have a bind button - it's the trainer button. Power on with it depressed puts the tx into bind mode.
2) It doesn't matter when you release the Bind button after it starts binding. You can hold it down all day, or release it as soon as the tx enters bind mode. It doesn't matter what the rx is doing.

Andy

Zeeb 06-15-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 12224421)
I don't know what to say about that situation. You need about 6' between tx and rx. That should be it.

Zeeb:

1) The DX18 DOES have a bind button - it's the trainer button. Power on with it depressed puts the tx into bind mode.
2) It doesn't matter when you release the Bind button after it starts binding. You can hold it down all day, or release it as soon as the tx enters bind mode. It doesn't matter what the rx is doing.

Andy

Mine's a QQ and I never use that button since the bind function has always been available via the menu. It's been too long since my regular DX18 for me to remember the bind/trainer button.... lol

BarracudaHockey 06-22-2016 09:11 AM

Like Zeeb, I always bind from the menu but either way works on the 18

I would start checking remotes and remote cables.

Also, make sure all the remotes are DSMX (in case you added any or swapped any)