RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Not sure on JR/Spektrum compatibility (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11635857-not-sure-jr-spektrum-compatibility.html)

Dig it 01-20-2017 04:47 PM

Not sure on JR/Spektrum compatibility

I've always used JR Rx's with my JR 12X DSM radio.

I need a 9ch Rx and can't find one but there are spektrum ones available. Specifically the AR9030T.

If I'm correct they will be compatible but I'd just like some input.

Dale

Zeeb 01-21-2017 11:40 AM

As long as it's a Spektrum rx, you should be fine. Just look for either DSM2 or DSMX for the transmission/radio protocol.

Dig it 01-23-2017 07:53 PM

Thanks.

Dale

ColinW 01-24-2017 11:01 AM

Hi Dale - I'd check that as I think JR only do DSM2. Spectrum went onto DSMX but JR didn't follow. Any Spectrum DSM 2 will be OK.

fizzwater2 01-24-2017 02:19 PM

the DSMX receivers I have will bind/operate in DSM2 mode if that's what the transmitter does.

Zeeb 01-24-2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ColinW (Post 12299340)
Hi Dale - I'd check that as I think JR only do DSM2. Spectrum went onto DSMX but JR didn't follow. Any Spectrum DSM 2 will be OK.

How does this kind of misinformation get out?

DSM2 and DSMX are cross compatible, the ONLY caveat is that you cannot mix the components. If it's a DSMX main rx, it MUST have DSMX remotes/satellites. If it's a DSM2 unit, then it MUST have DSM2 remotes/satellites.

DSMX will run a bit faster but the Flight Logs are pretty much useless as there are so many fades with the DSMX channel hopping. The other thing is that the quick connect/power brownout indication is only available in the DSM2 format and the Flight Logs work quite well for those setups.

Jimmy Skids 01-24-2017 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ColinW (Post 12299340)

The last generation of JR radios used DSMX, Horizon also was able to update some of the DSM2 JR transmitters to DSMX. I sent in my 9505 prior to switching to a newer JR DMSS transmitter and receivers.

AWorrest 01-25-2017 01:30 AM

The JR 12X originally was DSM/DSM2. These original ones could be updated to DSM2/DSMX as are the later ones. The DSMX capable transmitters have the DSMX logo on the screen lens. If the 12X radio is a module version, the screen may or may not have the DSMX logo as only the module had to be sent back for the conversion.

Allan

Zeeb 01-25-2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by AWorrest (Post 12299535)
The JR 12X originally was DSM/DSM2. These original ones could be updated to DSM2/DSMX as are the later ones. The DSMX capable transmitters have the DSMX logo on the screen lens. If the 12X radio is a module version, the screen may or may not have the DSMX logo as only the module had to be sent back for the conversion.

Allan

There is also a small half "X" on the right side of the top center label plate of the converted DSMX 12X transmitters.

SAB 01-31-2017 06:00 AM

Zeeb says "How does this kind of misinformation get out?"

One reason is that in the US you could get a DMSX version of the JR 12X or get HH to update a DSM2 version to DSMX. However for all of Europe and majority of the rest of the world DSM2 (and DSMJ for Japan) was all you could get. So the post by ColinW is from a European (UK) perspective where the 12X was only ever DSM2 & all the JR DSM receivers were only ever DSM2. Yes I understand a DSMX receiver is backward compatible with DSM2, however, from the European/UK perspective a user wishing to buy only JR receivers DSM2 was the only option and may therefore never have been aware of the DSM2/DSMX backwards compatibility.

Steve

RC 3D 02-21-2023 11:36 AM

Jr incomparable with newer spektrum receivers

Old thread
Update on Jr and Spektrum compatibility

There is a problem with the newer Spektrum Receivers that are dsm2 compatible due to their hardware change, with the ti chip making them incompatible with Jr legacy transmitters.
Older Spektrum Receivers are okay.Jr transmitters will often losing binding.

Newer DSM2 compatible receivers are not compatible with older legacy transmitters do to changes in the hardware. Crashes reported besides loss of bind.

Older receivers worked fine with jr.

8+channel old modules (DM8, DM9, JR 9303) are not compatible with spektrum newer receivers. Even if they appear to work.

All newer spektrum receivers are TI-based and also includes E-flite BNFs.
AR410 and AR620 included