RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Spectrum receiver not sending signal to servo... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11637238-spectrum-receiver-not-sending-signal-servo.html)

Richard39 03-09-2017 03:13 PM

Spectrum receiver not sending signal to servo...

I was flying and the throttle shut down it seems in flight... landed safely... Checking the servo at field but no servo would work for the throttle slot.... It seems no signal goes from receiver throttle slot to servo in airplane.... tried three servos.. one new... Is this a failure of receiver or a transmitter programing failure? This is the new version, 2016 purchased, DX6 transmitter... A two receiver set up with two receiver batteries and two switches for batteries...

I just did a check on both receivers in the airplane and the throttle connection... I tried both receivers and could not get a signal to the servo from either receiver... everything else works as always....

Note: system set up with two receivers... matching specktrum receivers and has worked for many years in this airplane... on two different Spektrum transmitters..... Please advise... I first believe it was a receiver problem now it seems to be the transmitter which I do not understand... But of course ...I do not know...Thanks....

flyinwalenda 03-09-2017 05:24 PM

If receiver A was connected to the throttle servo it seems odd that the throttle port on receiver B would fail too.
Go to the monitor screen on the DX6 and see what is going on when the throttle stick is moved up/down.

Is this the only plane on this transmitter?

Zeeb 03-09-2017 05:51 PM

Well a throttle shut down is classic Fail Safe behavior. That may provide a hint. You say that you have dual rx's and both do the same thing, are they both hooked up to the throttle at the same time because it's not going to work that way.

Which rx are you using? Are all the signal lights on? Have you tried rebinding one of the rx's?

Richard39 03-09-2017 06:46 PM

Brian.... I do have two models with the same set up and I just checked both and I must have a gremlin in my basement... The model that was not working , throttle, is now working.... I do not know what happen or if I did something... I did run the test on servos and the transmitter shows all servos being sent the signal...

But, now the same problem exist on the other model ... exactly... Both are set up the same... I just check the other model and it has no throttle movement... I have not touched it except to turn it on... batteries are charged.. Now the transmitter shows one throttle servo receiving signal and the other model is not showing the same... very strange... jumped from one to the other?

All other functions work on both model 1 and model 2... Crazy that the so called problem left one model and now is a problem in the other model... both airplanes have not been flown in 3 months.... Please advise.... Thanks.. Richard

Richard39 03-09-2017 06:48 PM

Zeeb.... all functions work on 2 models...all receivers are bound... only one connector from receiver to servo for throttle... Please read my comments above.... Thanks.. Richard

flyinwalenda 03-09-2017 07:06 PM

I still say go to the monitor screen and see if you have full throttle channel movement without any interruption when the throttle stick is moved up and down.

Were you experimenting or doing anything with settings/programming in the radio ?

WMF Flyer 03-10-2017 12:54 AM

Do you perhaps have a throttle cut set up on the models and accidentally moved the switch to activate? Checking the monitor screen as others have advised will tell you whether the throttle output from the Tx is responding to the stick movement. If the monitor shows movement for one model but none for the other it MUST be a setting on your Tx, most likely throttle cut. Hope that helps

Richard39 03-10-2017 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by WMF Flyer (Post 12314330)
Do you perhaps have a throttle cut set up on the models and accidentally moved the switch to activate? Checking the monitor screen as others have advised will tell you whether the throttle output from the Tx is responding to the stick movement. If the monitor shows movement for one model but none for the other it MUST be a setting on your Tx, most likely throttle cut. Hope that helps

Problem solved... it was the throttle cut... one transmitter is set switch up and one was set switch down... both on same switch... I am correcting that now to a switch which will return to position after be used.... one of my problems is that I have many airplanes on Futaba and the kill switch on my Futaba transmitters only moves the throttle a small amount toward idle which you adjust to kill the engine.. This Spektrum moves the throttle 100 percent from wherever you are to past idle killing engine and will not allow you to use the throttle in higher settings.... when switch is on... I am learning the Spektrum... Thanks to all of you and your help....

AndyKunz 03-10-2017 08:13 AM

Actually, you can adjust the position that the Spektrum radio drives it to. The -130% is good for nitro kills, but for electric you want it to be -100% so it matches the normal throttle OFF position.

Andy

Richard39 03-10-2017 08:41 AM

Andy, can I set the throttle cut/kill where it will only move the throttle servo a very short distance... This would prevent an accident killing the engine from the transmitter when flying at normal to high speeds and you do not want to shut down the throttle... I only want the throttle to shut down the engine if I am at idle.. not any other speed above 1/4 throttle... thanks... Richard

AndyKunz 03-10-2017 08:58 AM

I would use a Mix for that.

Zeeb 03-10-2017 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Richard39 (Post 12314432)
Andy, can I set the throttle cut/kill where it will only move the throttle servo a very short distance... This would prevent an accident killing the engine from the transmitter when flying at normal to high speeds and you do not want to shut down the throttle... I only want the throttle to shut down the engine if I am at idle.. not any other speed above 1/4 throttle... thanks... Richard

Yeah what Andy said....
What you want to do is usually called an "idle up" or such and depending on the radio capabilities there are several ways to do the thing. The easiest is a throttle curve, next would be a throttle/throttle mix.

One other suggestion from an old guy with too many models; in so far as possible, make sure that the switches are set the same for different models e.g. the throttle kill switch is the same one on all models and moves the same direction to kill things. Makes life a lot less confusing and possibly wreaking havoc with a model.... ;)