RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Trims not working in Slave mode on DX9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/11653681-trims-not-working-slave-mode-dx9.html)

on_your_six 09-03-2018 07:27 AM

Trims not working in Slave mode on DX9

I had a DX9 hooked as buddy box to a DX9 gen1 radio. While set as wired configuration slave mode. The radio's trim buttons would not work. By Design? or Defect.

You need to be able to trim the buddy box.

BarracudaHockey 09-03-2018 08:16 AM

Probably design, does the trim change if you trim the master then go to slave?

WMF Flyer 09-03-2018 09:06 AM

It will depend upon which option you chose on the master Tx (Pilot link master or \programmable master). But why use a wired connection? The wireless connection is superb, freeing you from the constraints of a wire and having no downside!

on_your_six 09-04-2018 07:13 AM

Why the wired connection... because you did not pay attention. The DX8 does not have the wireless connection ability as the instructor radio. I did not want to do anything to the DX8 proven setup, so we used the DX9 as the buddy.

I used another master choice and was then able to trim. Still, I think the trims should have worked when the slave selection on the DX9 wired connection was used. Seems logical to me, but then what the heck do I know.

I have used the wireless many times and like it. It just does not cover all the types out there. I gave the guy a DX5e radio to solve future situations.

WMF Flyer 09-04-2018 07:21 AM

I think you will find that the wireless training system will work if you use the Dx9 as Master and the Dx8 as the slave!

on_your_six 09-04-2018 03:29 PM

Of course it will. I don't want to bind to DX9 then rebind to DX8, each and every time he goes flying. He does not own both radios. He has to depend on others to fly.
This is the way we need to do it.

It does work.

It does not work if the DX9 is in slave mode which should be perfectly fine. Is the DX9 too good to be used as a buddy box??? LOL

Correction to original post. Connecting DX9 to a DX8.

AndyKunz 09-07-2018 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by on_your_six (Post 12460189)
I used another master choice and was then able to trim. Still, I think the trims should have worked when the slave selection on the DX9 wired connection was used. Seems logical to me, but then what the heck do I know.

It sounds like you have the DX9 in Slave mode, which is the Pilot Link mode. In Pilot Link, the data sent out on the wire for the 4 sticks is stick position, and specifically excludes trims. Because of the need to trim on the slave so that the centers match, it really isn't all that useful.

So change your DX9 back to Inhibit mode, and then the trims will come across the way you want.

Andy

on_your_six 09-09-2018 03:56 PM

Andy,
We don't seem to be on the same page here. I want to connect a DX9 in wired mode as the student to a DX8 Gen1 transmitter being used as the instructor radio.

The user manual says (top page19);
Slave Use Slave mode when using the DX9 as a slave transmitter and
Pilot Link is active in the master transmitter

When activated this way.. The student trims do not work. I ended up using one of the pilot link masters on the student radio to get the trims to work.
Selecting Inhibit mode turned the trainer system off and nothing was active.

AndyKunz 09-09-2018 04:28 PM

I know what the manual says. There are very few times I disagree with the manuals, mainly because I often proof them.

When you set the mode to Slave, the code turns off the sending of trims out to the wire. I know this for a fact. I wrote that code (and about 250K lines more in the radio...)

If you want the trims to be active in the slave radio, you must set the slave type to Inhibit.

This has NOTHING to do with how the master radio is configured. The determination of whether trims are sent out is solely a function of the slave radio.

The master radio has two modes of operating as well. In Programmable Master mode all the channel data comes in from the slave and (for enabled channels) goes out to the plane exactly as it came in. In P-Link (Pilot Link) mode, the first four channels of data coming in (TAER) are utilized as if they came in from the sticks on the master. That means they go through all the Rates, Expo, Mix, Wing/Tail Type, etc functions before they are sent to the model.

I'm telling you exactly how I wrote the code.

The only thing we're not on the same page about is that you want to follow the manual, and I'm telling you that if you do you won't get the response you want from the system. I'm the training guy at our club, too. I always had the club radios set up with the slave in Inhibit and the master in P-Link.

Andy

on_your_six 09-10-2018 03:41 PM

Thanks for the response. Seems like a user manual update would be in order.