RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Danny - 8103 Throttle Ratchet Removal? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/1741159-danny-8103-throttle-ratchet-removal.html)

bdrannik 04-20-2004 09:50 AM

Danny - 8103 Throttle Ratchet Removal?

Hello Danny,

Called Horizon this morning (4/20 10:40am Eastern) and talked with Steve about removing the throttle ratchet on an 8103A to use with a helicopter. I asked if there was just a part that needed to be removed or anything for the procedure. He stated that it would take a change of parts in the mechanism, but that JR could not sell me the parts due to liability reasons... WHAT? I'm not capable of changing a throttle ratchet? Any suggestions or assistance would be welcome. Please tell Bob that Brent says hello. (He stored the Raven in my trailer at Venice IMAC) Thank you, have a good day.

dsnyder 04-21-2004 08:47 AM

RE: Danny - 8103 Throttle Ratchet Removal?

That is true that it requires a change in parts, and also that we do not sell service center parts, but for a variety of reasons. Liability is one reason, that is if for some reason the system fails and causes a crash involving property or personal damage, we then become liable for selling the part. The system must be worked on by a qualified service facility. Also if the system is under warranty you will void the warranty of the system by working on it yourself. Another reason is for stock reasons, we carry service center parts to service systems in house. Selling the parts direct creates problems of keeping parts in stock, and repairs go on hold waiting for parts.

Our service center turn around time is around 4 days on average, so the turn around time is very good, and the system can be back to you in quick order.

ml3456 04-23-2004 01:31 PM

Danny,

Didn't JR used to include the smooth slider vs. the racheted part with the radio a few years ago? This is a pretty simple change that shouldn't require the service department. Besides, there are directions to change spring tension by the user, not the service department.

Just my 2 cents.

ML

dsnyder 04-23-2004 03:03 PM

Some systems do include those. This part is a service center part. For any further information, it is necessary to give a call into one of our product support techs at 877-504-0233.

bdrannik 04-24-2004 01:07 PM

What furthur information could be gained from another service call? This thread was started due to a non-productive call to Product Support.. As ML also mentioned, page 15 of the manual clearly shows how to get to the related area inside the TX, so I don't see how the "liability" from end user repairs apply if the manual is encouraging users to open up their transmitter. We are not talking about replacing surface mount transistors on a circuit board...

>> dsnyder: "Selling the parts direct creates problems of keeping parts in stock, and repairs go on hold waiting for parts."

Two scenarios: A) I send in the radio and the part is installed. B) The part is sent in the mail and I install it. I fail to see how option A leaves any more parts in inventory.

What is boils down to is I purchased the 8103 knowing that I would be getting into helis because it was advertised as being able to do Planes/Helis/Gliders. Being marketed as such, it shouldn't take a return to the factory service center to get the left stick "helicopter correct".

>> ML: "Didn't JR used to include the smooth slider vs. the racheted part with the radio a few years ago? This is a pretty simple change that shouldn't require the service department. "

I couldn't agree more..

Have a good day, Brent

Jemo 04-25-2004 05:03 PM

Remove the one thats in there and flatten the little detent that is on it.

dsnyder 04-26-2004 09:09 AM

I don't have any more information that I can provide here. If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to give a call to one of our product support techs.

Jbolt 04-30-2004 02:34 AM

I've never bothered to get the "correct" parts. You can reduce the spring tension enough to be satisfactory for heli flying or flip the spring over. When flipping the spring you need to bend it some to get the right tension. Personaly I never understood the need for a ratchet on the throttle for any kind of flying.

Good luck

Jay