RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JR Radio & Spektrum Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/)
-   -   Another 8103 Elev. mix question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jr-radio-spektrum-radios-116/379664-another-8103-elev-mix-question.html)

bigmac1971 11-24-2002 02:21 AM

Another 8103 Elev. mix question

Danny i am haveing a problem on mixing both of my Elev at the same time . I set them up as the manual said on channel 6 , so that the trim would work and it does. But when i turn the Aux 2 flap trim on the upper left side of the radio one elev moves up or down. MY ? is how do i stop this?

Thanks Keith

Alleymutt 11-25-2002 12:53 AM

Are you sure that the 8103 even has the dual elevator function?
I know my 10 sx does not have that feature
Kirk out

bigmac1971 11-25-2002 01:10 AM

Most 30% planes are useing duel elev set ups so i would think you should be able to do it one way or onther .

dsnyder 11-25-2002 02:12 PM

Dual Elevator Servo Set-Up

Now we will set up the elevators, so that we will have channels 3 and 7 working together. You will plug the right elevator into channel 3, and the left elevator into channel 7. Press the up key till you get to mix 5 or 6. We will use 5 or 6, as they are including mixes, meaning the elevator trim lever will operate both channels. If you do this mix on any other mix, the elevator trim will not work the second channel. Press the + key and change the first channel until it says elev. Press the channel key over to the second channel. Press the – key to change the second channel to SPOI. Make sure that beside SW: it says ON. If not, press the select key till the arrow points at SW, and press the + key to make this say ON. Press the select key till the arrow points at Rate: and make the percentage 100% by pressing the + key. Then move the elevator stick, and the arrow will move to the 0% in one direction of movement. Make this 100% also with the + key. Now we have the elevator working on both channels, but the aux 2 knob will operate the second channel. To eliminate this, will use another mix. For this mix, I would use mix 3. Press the DN key to get to this mix. Once at the mix, press the + key till it says SPOI for the first channel. Press the channel key so that the second channel is underlined. Press the + key and make the second channel is SPOI. Then press the select key till the arrow points at Rate. Press the – key till it says -100%. Then rotate the aux 2 knob, which is on the top left hand side. Rotate this until the points at the 0%. Press the – key till it says –100% also. This completes the set up of the elevators.

wgeffon 11-25-2002 03:02 PM

Danny,

I hope you have that saved somewhere so you dont have to type it out all the time.
Its got to be one of the most asked questions regarding computer radio set-ups.

dsnyder 11-25-2002 03:04 PM

Ya, I copied and pasted it out of our programming guide that I wrote a while ago.

John Murdoch 12-10-2002 06:41 AM

Danny,
Where would one find that program guide that you wrote?
John

etgkdis 12-10-2002 09:26 AM

FF9 vs JR 8103

I have heard that the following problem exists in a Futaba FF9. Would the same happen in a JR 8103?
---------------------------------

9C TX & R138DP with dual elevator servos (post # 1)

Ann,
I have a problem (question).
I have a GP 300s that I am putting together with the following channel designations.
1-aileron
2-elevator
3-throttle
4-rudder
5-choke
6-aileron
7-rudder
8-elevator

I have used flaperons for 1-6.
I used Ailevator for 2-8
I mixed rudder at 4-7

This is my problem.
1-6 movement is equal and opposite.
4-7 seems to be equal and opposite.
2-8 seems to be equal in displacement, but not in speed.
The elevator servos deflect the elevator the same amount but not at the same speed. I tried switching the servo channel and 8 is still slower than 2. I proceeded to change my receiver to a R148DF and found the same thing happening. I have the R138DP back in but want to know why this is happening? I noticed that I have always had to flight trim the elevator for balance but I always thought that this was because of how my planes were assembled and not do to the electronics. Any help would be appreciated. (I am using HS605BB servos)
----------------
BR/Costas

etgkdis 12-10-2002 11:13 AM

Ailevator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dsnyder
[B]Dual Elevator Servo Set-Up

OK but how about the speed of the two elevator servos. Are they both responding just as fast to a rapid top-to-bottom movement of the stick?

dsnyder 12-10-2002 02:15 PM

You can send an email to [email protected] requesting the programming guide for the 8103 Air and we can email it to you.

The programming here for the the 8103 does not affect the speed of the servos.

John Murdoch 12-10-2002 02:22 PM

Thanks Danny... There's an article at Horizon that explains a typical setup for giant scale planes and the 10X radio. Is there anything like that for the 8103?

dsnyder 12-10-2002 02:25 PM

The closest thing is the programming guide that we can email you that we have available.

John Murdoch 12-10-2002 02:33 PM

OK.... Thanks.. Just sent the request. Since you're responding immediately, I have a 662 question. I have a PW Extra 300 25% with a Moki 2.10. I've got 79 flights on it and up till a couple of days ago, not a problem one with the radio system. The last couple of flights, I've been getting hit by gliches and it's always the same glitch. A super fast 1/4 to 1/2 roll to the right. I've got the 700 receiver. I've tried isolating the problem myself by changing antenna position, checking servo wiring etc. but it still happens 4 or 5 times during a 14 minute flight. I've got metal Hitec servo horns connected to metal clevises that has worn an elongated hole in the arms. Someone at the field told me that the vibration of metal to metal at the arms could cause an interference. Any suggestions?

ml3456 12-10-2002 02:33 PM

Danny,

Can't you disable the aux 2 knob moving the elevator by disabling the knob in the setup menu, or is that only in the glider profile?

ML

dsnyder 12-10-2002 03:00 PM

Metal to metal can cause RF interference. This may or may not be the problem you are having. It may also be noise on your frequency, model generated RF that could be things like metal to metal or a bad bearing in the engine, or problem with the electronic equipment. If you can try a different receiver, or maybe a different frequency, and remove the metal to metal contact points, it should help narrow it down. You can also send in your equipment for service to see if there are any problems with it if you would like.

You can only disable the flap knob in the functions in aircraft mode.

John Murdoch 12-10-2002 03:07 PM

Danny,
I just ordered the 8103 PCM. In your opinion, should I figure out the problem before I install the PCM receiver or just use PCM to see if that fixes (or masks) the problem. Thoughts?

dsnyder 12-10-2002 03:20 PM

If you do have metal to metal contact, I would correct that. That is a tough call. If you can find it on the ground with range testing, it would be best to find the problem. If not, the PCM may do just that, fix or mask the problem. Be sure and do a good range test either way, with the engine running. Here is some good information on range testing. http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1079.asp

spliff 12-13-2002 04:05 AM

Danny, I read your pasted instructions on the dual elevator setup, this may sound stupid, but you refer to one on channel 3 and the other on channel 7. I am using a 6 channel 236EZ PCM. Does it matter which channels I use? Also, If I wanted to make my ailerons work as flaps, can I do this with this reciever and run dual elvator servo setup? If so, which mix, which chanels. thanks in advance.

dsnyder 12-13-2002 02:23 PM

You would do the same mixes and set it up the same, only you will need to use channel 5 instead of channel 7 in the above programming. I've included the instructions for setting up the flapperon funtion if you needed it.

System Set-Up Mode

To start with we will open a clear model, so press and hold the up and down keys together and flip the power switch on and then release the up and down keys. Press the + and – keys to go into model select. Press the + key until you get to a clear model. Then press the up key twice to get to the model type. To get to the correct type, press the + key to get to ACRO, if it is not already in ACRO mode. Next you will press the up key to model reset. Press CLR so that it will restore the system to factory defaults. Press the up key to select the modulation of the system. Here you will use the + and – keys to set this to the desired modulation. Press the up key twice, to set the wing type selection. Press the + key to set this to mix wing FLAPERON. Then you can press the up key till you get to the name selection, and re-name the model.
At this point we have set up the system mode for our plane. One important thing to note is the flaperon set-up that we put into the wing type selection. This feature mixes the aileron channel with the aux 1 or channel six, so that they will both work as ailerons, and we can set them up to work as flaps as well. Plug the right aileron in to channel 2 and the left into channel 6.

Completion of Aileron Set-Up

Now we need to remove the flap pot from operating the ailerons as flaps. If you like having this ability, you can continue to the next paragraph. Press the up key till the screen says FLAP POT. Press the CLR button until this says POT. INH. This will eliminate the pot function.

Flaperon/Spoileron Set-Up

For a 3D set-up, we will set up the spoilerons. One good way to set up the spoilerons for harriers and elevator maneuvers, is to mix elevator to flap. An easy way to do this mix is with the elevator flap mix, which will work with the flap mix switch. Press the up key till it says ELEV-FLAP MIX in the top line. This will set it up so that they will work with the flap mix switch in the up position. Just flip the switch up, push down elevator, and press the – key until with down elevator the ailerons both go down. If they go up, press the + key instead of the – key. I use 100% in this mix to help keep the wings from rocking in an elevator or harrier. Now pull up elevator and press the – key until with the up elevator, both ailerons go up. If they go down, press the + instead of the – key. Again, I use 100% here. If you would like to have this on a different switch, or would like to have this function work with the spoilerons be active with the switch in the down or LAND position, follow the mix below. Lets set this up in mix 4. Press the up key till you get this mix. Now press the + key till the first channel says elev. Press the channel key so that the second channel is underlined. Next, you will press the select key until the arrow points at SW. You can put this on a few different switches, but lets set this up on the flap mix switch. Press the + key until it says LAND. This will activate when the switch is in the down position. Now we will press the select key to get back to where the arrow points at Rate. If it says OFF, move the flap switch down to the land position. Pull up elevator, and make the value –100% with the – key. Now push down elevator, and make the value –100% again. This should make the ailerons go up with up elevator and vice versa. If they go opposite of this, change the –100% values to + 100% to reverse it. Of course if you want to set-up flaperons instead of spoilerons you would make the ailerons go down with up elevator and vice versa.

spliff 06-06-2003 03:50 AM

8103 mixed elavators working in opposite direction

I setup my elevator halves per the instruction on this thread

R700 fm reciever
Left half in channel 7 (aux 2)
right channel in 3

Mix 5
Elev > spoiler
rate +100%
+100%
SW: ON
Offset

Both halves work in opposite directions. I have both servo arms centered in the up position. They should be working in the same direction right?

spliff 06-06-2003 03:58 AM

more trouble w/ opposite way halves

I also setup per your instructions on this thread to be able to utilize spoilerons for 3d
Acro
- Flapperons as my wing type,

and per your instructions
mix 3 is
spoi>spoi
rate -100%
-100%
sw on

I just sent the e-mail asking for the programming guide, however, I have a UCANDO with the setup identical except on that one, wing type is normal ( I tried to setup spoilerons but only one half would work (ran out of time to try so didn't, will be getting back to you on which reciever (specifically) it is and get you instructions on getting that part right, , and the horns are in the same direction via e-mail, at any rate, both elevator halves in the ucdo, work and are in the same direction. What is up with this? what am I doing wrong?

dsnyder 06-09-2003 12:43 PM

Yes, they should go the same direction. You can use servo reversing on the channel that is going the incorrect direction to cure that for the elevators.

Tiger 06-09-2003 02:08 PM

Danny,

I've been setting up my second elev. servo on Aux3 using mix 6. I then disable the aux3 knob by setting the travel adjust of aux3 to zero.
This seems to work just fine and saves a mix. Is there any good reason to use the Spoiler channel?

dsnyder 06-09-2003 05:00 PM

Aux 3 will work just fine. Zeroing the travel may cause problems with movement of the slave channel and if you use any further mixes to the channel, it may not move. The computer uses the travel adjustment values in calculations, and if the value is 0, the resulting calculations will be 0 which may not be correct. So it is best to use a mix to eliminate the pot rather than using travel adjustment. Using the mixing, you can also use travel adjustments to even the travels of each surface.

Tiger 06-09-2003 05:53 PM

Thats funny because I do have elev to rudder and aux3 to rudder mixing for knife edge coupling problems. They work great. However, I don't have the elevator or aux3 set up as a slave to any other channel. Is this where the issue might show?