RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jtec-radiowave-support-400/)
-   -   mvvs 58 TOO NOISEY! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jtec-radiowave-support-400/9155321-mvvs-58-too-noisey.html)

MatriX40 10-07-2009 09:24 PM

mvvs 58 TOO NOISEY!

i have an mvvs 58 and its too noisey, i know a canister is the ultimate solution. to be honest i really do not feel like modifying my airplane, it does not have a can tunnel. so im asking jtec if they produce an inverted wrap around muffler that will drastically reduce my engine noise. the snufflers look appealing but i hear they are quite heavy. also how much would one of these mufflers cost for my mvvs 58 thank you in advance

al 10-08-2009 07:51 AM

RE: mvvs 58 TOO NOISEY!

There are several possible solutions. Frist what do you have for a muffler, Do you have to meet any sound issues? What type plane do you have it in.

We have several versions of the wraparound muffflers each quieter than the other. I am sure we can find you a solution.

Please feel free to contact us at the office at 704-799-1658 or [email protected]

Thanks
Al

Bdegan 10-08-2009 08:34 AM

What size prop are you running ?
If your prop is too small, that will lead to excessive and unnecessary noise.
MVVS 58 is a brute of a motor and likes a bigger prop.

MatriX40 10-08-2009 05:04 PM

right now i believe it is a brisson inverted wrap around. i bought the engine used so im not 100% sure on that. it is on a bme edge 540II. i do not have to meet any noise requirements as of yet but i dont want to stir up anything with my plane. most guys at my field fly 4 stroke glow which are not that noisey and the few guys who fly gas run cans. i was just hoping that i could bolt a wrap around on and reduce noise rather than modifying my airframe to install a canister. the prop that it is turning is a 24/8

Bdegan 10-08-2009 05:22 PM

Prop seems ok. 24x8 to 24x10 is what the mvvs likes.

al 10-09-2009 07:52 AM

I would probably suggest one of the large version wraparounds for the MVVS/Evolution 58. Its is a direct bolt on application. Since we make them when ordered we can make any modification if need. The large version gives you more muffler volume good power and it should drop you 3 plus DB over the standard wraparound ( every 3db is half the noise drop)

Prop wise size is porbably ok but different brands are better that others when it comes to noise reduction. Also 3 bladed props will reduce prop noise buy reducing RPM ( tip speed cause the noise) What you won't get with a 3 blade is the snappy spool up like a two blade and it will have a little different type performance. not bad just takes a little getting use too!!

If you can give us a call and we can talk about different options and what you are looking for.

Al Young
JTEC/RADIOWAVE

nitro wing 10-16-2009 07:54 PM

You'd be amazed what an MSC prop can do for noise reduction. I could hear an instant improvement as soon as it started at idle. The MSC will still give a ton of torque and keep the prop from ripping air uncessarily.

ggroyal1 03-17-2010 05:23 PM

What were the results?

I have the Evolution 58 with a JTEC wraparound.

Great engine.