Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checking in flight data

Hi,

I have a K140F mounted inside a SM 2m Viper. I noted that the fuselage of my plane is hot to touch after landing.

Was wondering if there is anyway for me to check the maximum temperature encountered during flight using the ground support unit.

Thanks.

Isaac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Checking in flight data

Only way would be to use a temp probe like venom car temp sensor or if you have a radio with telemetry and use a temp prob. The turbine data will just show turbine stuff, nothing for max ambient temps.. Where exactly is it hot? Normally jets will feel hot from the turbine tail cone to a few inches past bell mouth. Its a very common place people will add heat suppression materials like aluminum tape, BVM Heat paint, or my favorite ceramic heat blanket material. All are cheap and work great. Hope this helps
    Contest Director AMA # 8394
    Avanti XXL, Skymaster F-14
    FEJ F-15, FEJ F-14
    46% Ultimate Bi-Plane
    MA Whiplash 90 FBL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi FB,

Thanks for your reply.

Sad thing is I don't have telemetry on my plane. I was hoping that there is some back door in the ECU software that allows me to peek at the parameters rather than spending extra $ to buy a third party telemetry system.

I think the fuselage of my plane is quite constrictive... there is little space for hot air to escape... eventhough I had cut some ventilation holes in the bottom of the fuselage. I do use heat suppression rubber foam tape (those with aluminum foil on one side and adhesive back).

Now it feels hot to touch at the front end of the compressor area where there is no insulation.

Isaac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whats your gap between turbine tail cone and the bell mouth? I looked through the programming to make sure didnt see anything. What would really help is to get a small external temp probe
    something like in the link below
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...e+used+NO+RES+
    This little guy will give you max temps during the flight, I bet that when jet is in the air the temps are much less and like my f-16 once I land and taxi in it will warm up around the bell mouth and be hot to the touch which is normal.
    Contest Director AMA # 8394
    Avanti XXL, Skymaster F-14
    FEJ F-15, FEJ F-14
    46% Ultimate Bi-Plane
    MA Whiplash 90 FBL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FB,

Mine is not a bell mouth but rather the funnel type opening. Distance to start of narrow section from edge of exhaust cone is somewhere ~20-25mm.

Thanks for the link... I will look into getting one of the temp monitoring devices.

Isaac