Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K80F Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K80F Questions

I have bought a second-hand K80F with 4 hours total run time. I have not received the engine yet, but should get it in the next couple of days. My questions are, could I use a 2s or 3s LiPo for the ECU battery, and can I replace a blown igniter? Can this engine be setup easily to propane start? Some engines out there, such as early JetCats, could be made propane start by simply removing the igniter and replacing with a glo plug, and then changing the ECU parameters. Also, what would be the approximate cost of replacing a dead igniter? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: K80F Questions

Aussie1,

You can use a 2S battery if it is freshly charged, but keep in mind, that when the voltage drops below to 8V, your turbine is probably not going to start. (2S lipo works great for the propane start version) you are better off with the 3S or 8.4V NiMH battery as the Kero plug draws alot of power from the battery during start up. As for a blown kero plug, you will need to send it for service to be changed. In almost 2 years of doing KT service here in the states, I have only had 1 kero plug failure and it really ended up being a wire that was broken. Are you sure the kero plug needs to be replaced? Before you jump into trying to change it to a propane start, lets get the Kero version working for you, IMO you will like it much better.

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Aussie1

Hi Dirk, thanks for the reply. The igniter is fine, I was just thinking what would happen if I did blow a plug. I downloaded the manual for the engine and it seemed to indicate that you could only use LiFe or NiMH packs, but I have plenty of good 2s ans 3s LiPo packs avaliable. As I don't have the engine yet, I haven't been able to physically study it, could it be set back to propane start by the user, by fitting a glo plug? Thanks for your help, as this is my first fuel start turbine, my other two engines being propane start only.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM
flejter1

Aussie1,

I highly doubt you will ever have a problem with the kero plug going out. You will have more problems with burnt out glow plugs but everyone has there own flavors and tastes. The turbine would need a different internal wire harness installed and some kero start boards removed but it is possible to change it over if you really feel the need to have it done. I would still want you to send it to us for the upfit and ECU setting changes. That way we can test run the turbine and make sure it works properly. LIFE 9.9V works great with our Kero start turbine and has been the battery of choice among our customers. Like I said earlier, the 2S lipo will work but, you will be limited to fewer starts. I get calls from guys using the 2S on Kero start saying the turbine won't start and they need help. It always boils down to a depleated battery that is overlooked.

BTW,
Welcome to the KingTech family!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Aussie1

ORIGINAL: flejter1

Aussie1,

I highly doubt you will ever have a problem with the kero plug going out. You will have more problems with burnt out glow plugs but everyone has there own flavors and tastes. The turbine would need a different internal wire harness installed and some kero start boards removed but it is possible to change it over if you really feel the need to have it done. I would still want you to send it to us for the upfit and ECU setting changes. That way we can test run the turbine and make sure it works properly. LIFE 9.9V works great with our Kero start turbine and has been the battery of choice among our customers. Like I said earlier, the 2S lipo will work but, you will be limited to fewer starts. I get calls from guys using the 2S on Kero start saying the turbine won't start and they need help. It always boils down to a depleated battery that is overlooked.

BTW,
Welcome to the KingTech family!!!
Yes, I am looking forward fitting the engine into my Panther, and kero start is also very appealing!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 AM
jedda747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will love kero start its alot simpler and better that gas start,all the best

regards,
Rob ,proud owner kingtech K80 F ,K100G
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM
SMBJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 kingtech turbines now and find the kero start great and much simpler than gas start.

Prior to Kingtech I had 2 Wren gas start turbines, so naturally my first kingtech was a gas start model. After this I bought a kero start K-80F and being so impressed with the ease of operation have bought 2 more. I have since sold my gas start Kingtech K80.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM
flejter1

If you like the "F" model, you will really like the new K-80 "G" model. It has internal solenoid valves and the set up is so simple and quick it makes you think you are forgetting something!! It really makes the inside of your setup look so clean. UAT to the pump, pump to filter, filter to turbine, plug in the 2 wires...thats it!!!