Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K100G Diesel start problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried using the settings found in this thread to reduce flames at switchover and fuel ramp on my K100G. That resulted in a no-start condition with multiple attempts yesterday. Conditions were 5100 ft (1560m), 45F / 9C, diesel with KT oil.

I went back to the same settings I use on my K-80G and I also set it to Auto+1 (it was Auto+2). It started on both attempts today. Still significantly more flames from the 100 than the 80. I doubt it is enough to damage a pipe, but I'm not an expert in this area.

Greg
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

I have the same problem with my K-170s (3 of them), I can get a good start and just live with the more than usual flames, or I can try to tweak out the flames and risk having an engine that won't always start; I choose the flames....

Pipe is of concern for sure, I had my K-170 inside a Chinese ARF and their included pipe was junk, so rather than risk it I got a TAM's pipe and it has been bullet proof. The Tam's pipe has been handling the extra flames without any problems.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahson Shams, your three 170s came in for upgrades, and now all start flawless by Dirk. If you are still having problem with flamey starts, I would question your qualifications to operate our product.

Regards,
Barry
Old 03-17-2015, 05:04 PM
gsmarino2000

Actually, I had another unrelated reason for the no start, and I forgot to update this thread - there was a burr on the end of one of the pump nipples, which had created a tiny puncture in the suction-side tubing, so the pump was sucking air. For some reason that I don't fully understand, once you got the engine started, it ran fine. It was just very difficult to get it started. Anyway that was my miss-diagnosis that the starting problems were related to my settings changes. With the air leak is fixed it starts consistently, although still with more flame than my K80G. I'm going to try the alternate settings one more time. If that doesn't work I'll call Barry or Dirk and see what they suggest.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-18-2015, 04:08 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Greg depending on where the air leak was the pump can loose its prime if it has a air leak on its fittings then it would take allot longer to start and would most likely take more then 1 start attempt. Good find on figuring it out. So many turbine problems come down to the fuel system or low battery/wrong battery and most of the time have nothing to do with the turbine itself.

Originally Posted by gsmarino2000
Actually, I had another unrelated reason for the no start, and I forgot to update this thread - there was a burr on the end of one of the pump nipples, which had created a tiny puncture in the suction-side tubing, so the pump was sucking air. For some reason that I don't fully understand, once you got the engine started, it ran fine. It was just very difficult to get it started. Anyway that was my miss-diagnosis that the starting problems were related to my settings changes. With the air leak is fixed it starts consistently, although still with more flame than my K80G. I'm going to try the alternate settings one more time. If that doesn't work I'll call Barry or Dirk and see what they suggest.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 AM
gsmarino2000

Originally Posted by gunradd
Greg depending on where the air leak was the pump can loose its prime if it has a air leak on its fittings then it would take allot longer to start and would most likely take more then 1 start attempt. Good find on figuring it out. So many turbine problems come down to the fuel system or low battery/wrong battery and most of the time have nothing to do with the turbine itself.
Yes, apparently it was losing its prime, although the strange thing was that it was only manifested as an intermittent starting issue, not a running issue. Manual priming into a cup worked and showed no obvious bubbles, but once it was attached to the engine and the pump had to push through the resistance of the start valve and nozzle, the problem showed up. Regardless, I posted to this forum prematurely. Once it failed after I returned the ECU settings to normal, I went back through the fuel system with a fine tooth comb and found the problem. Four successful starts since then, so I think it was the issue.

Greg
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Greg, The K-100 you bought is an used engine from a private individual, and you are at least the third owner according to our records, because the J Gago never registered, which may explain the defect on to the barb. You are not required, but please consider purchasing warranty for this engine. You are welcome to call in if you are still having problem.

Regards,
Barry
Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM
gsmarino2000

For those following this, I talked to Barry this afternoon. After some detailed discussion it sounds like the starts I'm getting are okay and shouldn't be a problem. He did offer to help me tune it in a bit if I want. As usual, great service.

Oh, and I'm probably the one that caused the burr on the pump nipple.

Greg

Greg
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 PM
3 green

Originally Posted by Rcman4u2
I am new to turbines and have a KingTech 100G that I run on diesel with 4.5% KingTech turbine oil. Start and runs perfectly each time and all settings are as set at the factory. Also have a 80G and 140G all starting and running great with factory settings and same 4.5% KingTech turbine oil. Barry has been a great help when I have questions.

Lowell
that makes two of us