Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

2 Stroke Oil = failed bearings

Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

2 Stroke Oil = failed bearings

Old 01-16-2016, 04:07 PM
uixkes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I use DTE light in my JetsMunt turbines, as it is easy to get here in the UK.

In the past I have considered buying a KingTech turbine but as I can't get the KingTech oil what's the point.
A real shame, so no KingTech turbine for me.

Happy flying

Ulrich
Old 01-16-2016, 04:28 PM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it appears that what works for one turbine doesn't work for the other ; that's weird ! Would be interesting to know what
synthetic additives are in with shell tellus 32 lubes.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 AM
RemoteJets

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Luckely the Kingtech oil can be purchased in the Netherlands ( can send to you Ulrich of you want the best turbine ;-) ).

I now also use the Kingtech oil and the bearings sounds better with the same hours as it was with the DTE oil.
Have to say I also am back to kero as fuel.

Also at that moment I used the Diesel with DTE, the oil percentage was 3% like stated in the manual, but after 18hrs maintenance and some discussions Kingtech has changed this to 5%.

Grt,
Berto.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
stegl

starting to get the impression that all this oil business and kero vs diesel and oil mix has a lot to do with the amount of drip to the bearings. Maybe if too much causes more coking and if too little then not enough lubrication. I looked at the specs of the Shell Tellus 32 oil vs the Mobil DTE 32 oil and the heat range is a little lower with the Tellus so that may be why they have added, additives but won't say which ones and proportion. Other than that they are similar oils. Also diesel is supposed to have more lubricating properties than Kerosene.....I am starting to believe that most of the issue for some and not the others has to do with how the fuel is sprayed into the burners and how it is dripped to the bearings . I think all manufacturers should be made to disclose just what is in their "special mixed" lubricating oils and percentages similar to a MSDS disclosure. just my thoughts.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:59 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Berto, you are exactly right, DTE like the stand alone Tellus 32 is clean burning in KT but the lubrication property is inferior to that of the KT blend. This is why we require the engine to be sent in in 20 rather the 25 hours. This is especially critical on the newer released engines, the demand for oil performance is higher at the benefit of better fuel efficiency.

Stegl, our oil is formulated by our supplier who has an excellent background in this field. I would say that one of the most important components is probably the thermal stability agent which releases at a certain but precise temperature range, and then there are other components for various benefits. Like the rest of KingTech products, our oil is constantly improving. Recently we are looking into another Shell product as a better choice of base oil and also looking into adding biocide to prevent flame outs due to sticky clunks caused by algae growth, much more testing would have to be completed before the release.

We are working closely with factory and supplier to bring you the best lubricant and additives possible for turbine engines. We have no desire to compromise the interest of our supplier, but every intent to support.

KT Oil is available in Canada through Bill Harper at 905-327-8588.

Regards,
Barry
Old 01-23-2016, 05:15 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a chance that the fuel type such as diesel may contribute instead of using Jet A for example?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:09 PM
stegl

Diesel has the best lubrication qualities then Kerosene and Jet A fuel is the driest ; meaning the least lubricating.