Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K80E start problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 PM
chris1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K80E start problems!

I just finished installing my K80E into a new airframe and when i go to start it, it will fire off on propane but wont switch over to Fuel and continue the start. It just says TimeOut on the GSU after it shuts down. Can anybody tell me where to start troubleshooting to figure out what is wrong? I am thinking it may be a EGT sensing issue. The pump works in prime mode but doesnt ever start trying to pump fuel during start. Does the EGT have to be at a certain temp before the fuel starts pumping? I had to lengthen the wires for the EGT probe and I cut them and soldered a servo extension on to it. I dont think that would hurt anything but who knows? It did not have any trouble switching over and starting a month ago when it was in the other airplane.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timeout means it's not detecting the flame. The fadec wants to read a significant increase in temperature (with kero start it's 6 degrees, gas I don't remember)
Look at your GSU and check if the temperature is actually going up. If the propane is igniting, maybe you just need to open the propane tank valve a bit more or shake it a little to get more gas in the engine.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM
chris1971

The ecu battery was too low so I charged it and now it will start but when you advance the throttle it will shut down about 80,000 rpm. It reads flameout on the GSU. It also will not go into cool down mode because the egt is reading below 100C. When it was running at 80,000 the egt was only reading 158C.Shouldn't it be reading much higher temps while running? I am starting to think cutting the egt harness and soldering the extention to it messed up the reading of the egt. I will call tomorrow and see what Barry says.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:44 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

You cannot not solder and add wire to an EGT harness. That will change the resistance of it and give an incorrect reading. EGT probes work on resistance and altering the wiring changes that and gives an incorrect reading.

Can I ask why you had to add wire to it?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:56 PM
chris1971

Thanks gunradd, Thats what i was afraid of. I used an extension on the egt wire on the last airplane but we were running all the wires thru a harness tube on this airplane so we were trying to get away from the large connectors being inside the wiring harness tube. the egt wire is not long enough to reach from the engine to the ecu. I guess i will have to order a new egt sensor tomorrow!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
chris1971

New egt harness fixed the issue. Runs great now!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

That's great news Chris