Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

damaged 140g turbine brand new and no help from kingtech

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

damaged 140g turbine brand new and no help from kingtech

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I know only one turbine company witch sale spare parts ,jetjoe, do sale all the parts for the turbines and bearings .
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 AM
fidel castrol
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Barry I have changed the title of this thread to better describe the situation I hope we can move on from this I was upset about the way this handled and I apologize for the wrong title on the thread
Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by jgracco
Dr Know everything to the rescue.....

Nice to post internals of the motor. Not very smart..

I like the pics of your fisher price machine shop.. can ya balance motors with that setup Doc?

Since you obviously don't know how to respond with a quote... I thought I would clean it up before responding. (LOL)

I don't need a machine shop to balance a turbine. I have a nice, bench sized machine for that. But regardless... your true colors have now come out, and have totally discredited yourself. (little kids try to insult people my name calling)

Regardless... my original post stands on it's own merit.

Fidel: OK... most of us have been there. We kill an engine, and are hoping for a little more help than most company's are willing to do. If you were simply looking for a possible source for parts... then you should have made a post reflecting that. But as others have pointed out... the title of the post, and the perceived attitude in your fist post were (kind of) bashing Barry and KT. Remember... in a forum, all we have are our words. So, proper punctuation, and carefully selected words are your friend.

I can understand wanting to be able to keep the messed up engine. It would be nice to have a few spare parts. (like the ECU, Valves, and pump)

Last edited by Dr Honda; 08-29-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well if your so great at repairing turbines and giving quotes then you should start your own turbine repair company. Taking apart a crashed turbine can take a little bit. Im sure the screws on the cover where bent and allot of fun to remove. I am also sure many others things where bent and broken. Then you need to clean everything to look for cracks. Dont say you know how long it takes to do something if you have never done it.......

Brian or what ever your name is BVM wont even sell parts to thier electric EDF fans because they don't want them to be assembled incorrectly.

What happens when you do your repair then after a few flights you decide to sell it. The next guy unaware of your repair is using it then the turbine comes apart and a blade comes out the side and injures someone. Now kingtech has a huge lawsuit on their hands when you are the one that did the repair. Also who wants a turbine some guy repaired incorrectly in his garage when they think they are getting a kingtech. Also how is kingtech supposed to honor the lifetime warranty if people are doing incorrect work.

Brian I am an aircraft mechanic and also inspector and I would not take one apart........ Not because its rocket science because its not. But because I don't have the proper tools and manuals to do a perfect job.

Originally Posted by jgracco
if I got a bill after the fact clearly in retaliation for what I were saying and I was not told about the charge before hand I would make the bill into 4 inch squares for the reading room... an hour to take apart a motor and document what is wrong.. it would take me 10 minutes
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Mod, isn't this enough? This guy has 21 total posts and ALL of them have been on this rant. Can't this thread be closed as harassment and this guy banned?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Liability issues on selling parts.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM
jfetter

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Mod, isn't this enough? This guy has 21 total posts and ALL of them have been on this rant. Can't this thread be closed as harassment and this guy banned?
Let's not ban someone and delete all their posts because we don't like the content? Delete offensive posts or language or threats sure but we shouldn't be deleting something we can always simply avoid reading, we all have that right. Let the guy vent, the community is smart enough to judge his intentions and comments without a mod having to step in whenever someone vents...

Jack
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

I agree /\/\/\ Banning someone because you don't agree their content is wrong. I haven't seen anything that constitutes a shut down or a ban. I have seen alot of nonsense though! The number of posts a member has bares no importance on their position or ability to make a valid argument. I also don't believe in a companies position of not selling parts due to liability. I would rather agree that its to cover reputation and to incur any repair costs by the company. Liability just makes it sound like a more important reason for them not to offer their parts to you. Its their company and their prerogative to not offer parts to the general public, but call it what it is, rather than blow smoke. In the whole scheme of things we are talking about a very small company who is controlled by the owner and ultimately represents his or her business decisions.

I am in no way defending either party or offering bias on one or the other. I am however saying that if a company chooses to have a policy in place and they want my respect as a consumer, treat me like an educated person and don't try to mislead me with BS. Honesty is the best policy.

I seriously doubt that any "major" corporation would deny you the purchase of their parts for any reason, let alone liability. Examples: Xerox, Winchester, Ford, General Electric, Apple, Hewlett Packard, Glock, Boeing, Etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM
erik valdez

Well if your so great at repairing turbines and giving quotes then you should start your own turbine repair company. Taking apart a crashed turbine can take a little bit. Im sure the screws on the cover where bent and allot of fun to remove. I am also sure many others things where bent and broken. Then you need to clean everything to look for cracks. Dont say you know how long it takes to do something if you have never done it.......

Brian or what ever your name is BVM wont even sell parts to thier electric EDF fans because they don't want them to be assembled incorrectly.

What happens when you do your repair then after a few flights you decide to sell it. The next guy unaware of your repair is using it then the turbine comes apart and a blade comes out the side and injures someone. Now kingtech has a huge lawsuit on their hands when you are the one that did the repair. Also who wants a turbine some guy repaired incorrectly in his garage when they think they are getting a kingtech. Also how is kingtech supposed to honor the lifetime warranty if people are doing incorrect work.

Brian I am an aircraft mechanic and also inspector and I would not take one apart........ Not because its rocket science because its not. But because I don't have the proper tools and manuals to do a perfect job.

This is on page 2 of kingtechs manual.

3. Full Assumption of Liability; Waiver and Release of Kingtech. User assumes all
risk of injury, harm and damage, of every nature whatsoever, to
himself/herself and his/her property. User fully and completely waives and
releases any and all claims which he/she might have at any time arising out of MNM©2009
KTT©2013
Page 3
the purchase, handling, or operation of the Model Engine. This assumption,
waiver and release is complete, full, and comprehensive.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Why the hell would you want to risk another crash with potentially substandard repairs. You are operating in the high end of the hobby and that means it's expensive. What will another airframe cost you when the turbine fails due to poor service. If you are trying to save a few bucks on parts and labor maybe you should go to Hobby King and fly foamies.

Even though I am capable of fixing my own turbine I wouldn't do it. What happens when something goes wrong again. Then who will you look to!

We have enough liability in the area of the hobby. We don't need poorly serviced turbines adding to the already complex mix of flying RC jets.

I've seen guys fix there own stuff or have a "qualified " 3rd party fix them. I"VE NEVER seen those turbines work properly again.

save yourself the headache and take up Barry on his more than Generous offer of a discounted new turbine,. Barry did the same thing for mee with a K100 and it was the RIGHT decision on my end.

Good Luck Mr. Cheapo
Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
jgracco

I have looked at enough of your responses to see that you like to express your opinions more than most. That is being nice. As for the incorrect quote, perhaps you can work to clean up my quotes for me.. thanks

John

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Since you obviously don't know how to respond with a quote... I thought I would clean it up before responding. (LOL)

I don't need a machine shop to balance a turbine. I have a nice, bench sized machine for that. But regardless... your true colors have now come out, and have totally discredited yourself. (little kids try to insult people my name calling)

Regardless... my original post stands on it's own merit.

Fidel: OK... most of us have been there. We kill an engine, and are hoping for a little more help than most company's are willing to do. If you were simply looking for a possible source for parts... then you should have made a post reflecting that. But as others have pointed out... the title of the post, and the perceived attitude in your fist post were (kind of) bashing Barry and KT. Remember... in a forum, all we have are our words. So, proper punctuation, and carefully selected words are your friend.

I can understand wanting to be able to keep the messed up engine. It would be nice to have a few spare parts. (like the ECU, Valves, and pump)
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM
jgracco

Yeah sure dude... if the screws are broken off you don't need to remove them then.. I will give you 5 minutes to get it apart in that case. Don't send a bill after the fact because you are pissed off. That is just poor... I would not pay it.. If Brian or Fidel or whoever wants to pay to stay square because they want to buy another engine then so be it.

Originally Posted by gunradd

Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM
jgracco

This is comical to read. You are an aircraft mechanic and never taken one of these apart. 8 or ten screws in back and 6 or 8 along the intake/diffuser and push it apart. Your kid could take it apart. Nothing much to it at all. If Mr., Fidel wants to rebuild his motor or anyone else for that matter then sell him the parts.. Big deal.. Wren used to do it.. Spare me the liability issues here. this is all about propriety and keeping others from knowing about their secret sauce so call a spade a spade and as for balancing, there are plenty of reputable guys that can do this.

Originally Posted by gunradd

Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
erik valdez

If Mr., Fidel wants to rebuild his motor or anyone else for that matter then sell him the parts.. Big deal.. Wren used to do it.. Spare me the liability issues here. this is all about propriety and keeping others from knowing about their secret sauce so call a spade a spade
Well said Sir!!

Although you only have 58 posts so you obviously don't know what your talking about!!! LOL!!!

Last edited by erik valdez; 08-29-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM
davevh

I swear,coming to rcuniverse nowadays with threads like this is like watching Jerry Springer!
Lots of screaming, all drama, and little substance...
I love it!!!

Oh, I only have 67 posts and have been in the hobby for 19 years. I must be a complete noob
What a downer

Last edited by davevh; 08-29-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM
TED ANTON
My Feedback: (7)

Gentlemen If I may, I am well aware of the liability issues regarding home repairs.
I have worked on my own turbines replaced bearings ,starter motors and have even assembled a turbine k66 kit
The point Brian is making is the assessment of non working parts was incorrect
There are salvageable parts on the motor i.e. fuel pump , solenoids , can, tail cone etc just to name a few
He was told the engine needed parts replaced that were in working order
Thats what this is about, regardless on how many posts you have

Ted
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM
davevh

Originally Posted by TED ANTON
Gentlemen If I may, I am well aware of the liability issues regarding home repairs.
I have worked on my own turbines replaced bearings ,starter motors and have even assembled a turbine k66 kit
The point Brian is making is the assessment of non working parts was incorrect
There are salvageable parts on the motor i.e. fuel pump , solenoids , can, tail cone etc just to name a few
He was told the engine needed parts replaced that were in working order
Thats what this is about, regardless on how many posts you have

Ted
Well, here is a suggestion if the OP would like to get parts. Buy a new turbine, strip it for the parts he needs, and then he has extra of the parts he doesn't.
Problem solved, case closed, everyone happy!
Except, possibly, the person buying the second hand turbine not serviced by the manufacturer...

Something that does not quite make sense though, is if the OP wants to get parts and KT were willing to provide them, would he still be complaining about the costs involved?
How much is the labour they are willing to charge, is it a significant % of what was quoted?
If labour is, ballpark wise, 2 hours, that would equate to $100.00 (I am assuming the hourly rate per the inspection of $50.00), insignificant compared with the $2000.00 quote, That means parts would be $1900.00, or am I missing something here?

Last edited by davevh; 08-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM
leopaul

Brian, i have a K140G for sale in the classified, 1850$....This will give you all the parts you need :-)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
GhostRider 1

Ted,

The turbine must be re buildable, seeing how the pump, solenoids, can and tail cone are the only surviving parts. I read you built plenty of turbines or changed bearings, but I would have to say you are running a time bomb if it is not properly balanced with the proper equipment. I have seen pictures of Kingtechs balancing machine and I doubt Barry would have spent that kind of money for it if any Joe blow could balance turbines in his back yard. Are you really willing to take that risk of rebuilding a crashed engine that is spinning at 120k+ RPM's? Are you really willing to risk your life or some innocent by standers life because you think you have the know how without the proper tools? This isn't a back yard car you are building and if you crater the engine turning at a whole 5k RPM it just makes a loud noise as it is housed by cast blocks, frames & sheet metal to contain the flying parts. Unfortunately our turbines are in a wood & fiberglass bodies and have nothing to stop exploding parts. Your rebuilds are just time bombs waiting to go off and your arrogance is going to get someone hurt and it probably will be you. I haven't seen all the pictures but I am guessing the tail cone is bent, but you can always straighten it or a little built in thrust vectoring could be cool, I'm sure the housing has some dents & scratches, but those are only cosmetic. I'm sure the solenoids still work after the hammering they took and you are willing to risk them in a new airframe so when they fail you can blame Kingtech on a flame out. I don't know about you, but I sure would want any new parts recommended by the service guy as I have to much invested hoping crashed parts still work. Lets use some common sense here!!

Ghostrider 1 Out!!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
GhostRider 1

I thought I have read on other threads about guys saying they were charged 7-800 for labor + parts from other manufacturers. Maybe I am wrong....
Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 PM
toolmaker7341

Where do all the arrogant know-it -alls come from???? Are you sure this isn't Jerry Springer.Some of these guys are a joke with no people skills although this was very entertaining reading.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like to tinker with your turbine engine more so than flying it, then don't get a KingTech. Our balance specifications is under 3 mg per plane dynamically, not just the rotor assembly as your Garrett wheels on a shaft. More importantly there are just way too much uncertainty involved, what if in replacing the part, you damage the part, or if the part you bought had a compatibility issue with your existing units, further complicated by having variants. Parts may fit, but doesn't mean it would perform or not disintegrate.

Having said all that, it would be much easier for me to make a quick buck or two by selling you some parts, but then with the risk of the privilege we so cherish in this hobby especially jet flying? Over my dead body!

Barry
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way Brian, your pump may still pump, it did not hold idle to our spec. Also, the total quoted repair bill was around $1850 including labor that maxed out at three hours at $270.

Last edited by marquisvns; 08-29-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 AM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by davevh
I swear,coming to rcuniverse nowadays with threads like this is like watching Jerry Springer!
Lots of screaming, all drama, and little substance...
I love it!!!

Oh, I only have 67 posts and have been in the hobby for 19 years. I must be a complete noob
What a downer
I agree!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
jgracco

garret compressor I am sure ..based on pics posted this does not look like a CNC wheel...

Originally Posted by davevh
Well, here is a suggestion if the OP would like to get parts. Buy a new turbine, strip it for the parts he needs, and then he has extra of the parts he doesn't.
Problem solved, case closed, everyone happy!
Except, possibly, the person buying the second hand turbine not serviced by the manufacturer...

Something that does not quite make sense though, is if the OP wants to get parts and KT were willing to provide them, would he still be complaining about the costs involved?
How much is the labour they are willing to charge, is it a significant % of what was quoted?
If labour is, ballpark wise, 2 hours, that would equate to $100.00 (I am assuming the hourly rate per the inspection of $50.00), insignificant compared with the $2000.00 quote, That means parts would be $1900.00, or am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.