Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

damaged 140g turbine brand new and no help from kingtech

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

damaged 140g turbine brand new and no help from kingtech

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyEng
I agree!
I don't agree, I applaud Kingtech not to sell parts to "anyone". I don't want to be in the pits, operating my jet and have some "highly qualified" person who just rebuilt his turbine, run it up and have a catastrophic failure.
This thread might just save someone from "who knows?"
Ron
Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 AM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G4guy
I don't agree, I applaud Kingtech not to sell parts to "anyone". I don't want to be in the pits, operating my jet and have some "highly qualified" person who just rebuilt his turbine, run it up and have a catastrophic failure.
Ron
I agree.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Airman98
My Feedback: (9)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its obvious what kind of person we are dealing with when in his opening statement says "turbine is not badly damaged" well thats not exactly how I would describe the condition of his turbine.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by jgracco
garret compressor I am sure ..based on pics posted this does not look like a CNC wheel...
What makes you qualifyed to know this and all your other tidbits of knowledge. It could be a CNC wheel that was bead blasted for additional strength and prevension of cracks.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Ron
It is a business choice that is only Kingtech's to make and in their defense I can understand how having a shade tree mechanic doing less than par repairs could tarnish their reputation. Therefore its a sound business decision to make. I do not applaud them for it but as a business owner I do agree with it. On the other hand I find it absurd to argue that others couldn't do a satisfactory job of the task of repair. I also find the arguments of "what ifs" and "who knows" to be similarly ridiculous. There is no guaranty in our hobby and accidents can happen at any time for any reason, of course they don't need to be compounded by poor repairs but such is the sport we are in. I've watched our hobby go from most participants being builders and having a sound grip of the engineering involved to now where most have never built a thing and have a limited understanding of the engineering that went into their plane, let alone how to satisfactorily repair it if it is broken. If your worried about the turbine that goes to the field once a month and may or may not fly, I think your worries are misplaced.

What field allows you to operate your model in the "Pits" anyway? I would start by addressing this very unsafe practice first of all! Here is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by erik valdez; 08-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM
RCJetBazz

Erik Valdez, have you any idea what you are talking about and what we are dealing with here? Have you worked on a turbine engine yourself or even flown one? You are using examples of most primitive and elementary levels of this hobby to make your ridiculous argument. I am sure any responsible turbine manufacturer would not sell parts to a end user to repair damage of this level. Good on KingTech and others.

D.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Ok Fidel...I get it that you are upset, but I have to tell you, Barry has been the most upfront and honest Turbine guy I have ever worked with. So much so, that I've sold all my JetCats, and am flying only King Tech......I would NEVER try to repair any turbine on my own....what a liability suit waiting to happen! I wish you luck. You might ask Barry how much he would sell you a new replacement turbine.....you might be surprised!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by erik valdez
It is a business choice that is only Kingtech's to make and in their defense I can understand how having a shade tree mechanic doing less than par repairs could tarnish their reputation. Therefore its a sound business decision to make. I do not applaud them for it but as a business owner I do agree with it. On the other hand I find it absurd to argue that others couldn't do a satisfactory job of the task of repair. I also find the arguments of "what ifs" and "who knows" to be similarly ridiculous. There is no guaranty in our hobby and accidents can happen at any time for any reason, of course they don't need to be compounded by poor repairs but such is the sport we are in. I've watched our hobby go from most participants being builders and having a sound grip of the engineering involved to now where most have never built a thing and have a limited understanding of the engineering that went into their plane, let alone how to satisfactorily repair it if it is broken. If your worried about the turbine that goes to the field once a month and may or may not fly, I think your worries are misplaced.

What field allows you to operate your model in the "Pits" anyway? I would start by addressing this very unsafe practice first of all! Here is an accident waiting to happen.
Semantics now? When I said "pits" I mean the start up area. We call it the pits here, sorry for the confusion. I tell you what, when Fidel starts his self repaired turbine, and runs it up to check it over, you stand right next to it and watch, I will move way over to the other side
field, behind something sturdy.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

I'm not standing up for Fidel, but I took one of my Jet Cat P-80's to a third party repair center to have bearings replaced. When I arrived at this repair center, he was replacing a compressor wheel with a new one from a reputable turbine company. He placed it on his balancing machine and it was within the specs of this turbine company. He told me that he goes a little further and balances the compressor wheel to his standards. He told me he does that to every turbine he rebuilds. When he replaced the bearings in my JC P-80, he indexed the turbine wheel and the compressor wheel. When he placed the turbine in his balance machine, the balance was within specs of Jet Cat specs, but he went a little further and balanced it more. My P-80 never ran so smooth. So, anyone can replace bearing, if they have the knowledge and there turbine might give them a few more years service, but sending it to a repair center is the best way.....

Larry/Instructor
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM
erik valdez

Erik Valdez, have you any idea what you are talking about and what we are dealing with here? Have you worked on a turbine engine yourself or even flown one? You are using examples of most primitive and elementary levels of this hobby to make your ridiculous argument. I am sure any responsible turbine manufacturer would not sell parts to a end user to repair damage of this level. Good on KingTech and others.
Yes I have and no I've never flown one. As a matter of fact almost all major turbine companies will sell you their parts for any type of repair. Now granted I am talking about major turbine companies, not minor ones such as kingtech. The tractor pulling and race car scene has been utilizing turbines since the 60's and have enjoyed factory support since the beginning. Turbines have also been utilized in this industry for track drying equipment for almost as long and again are factory supported. I have been around motorsports all my life and know a thing or two about what Im talking about. Im not arguing weather its wise or not to make the decision to not sell your parts to end users. I am however saying that for someone to believe that their are not qualified people other than Kingtech that can perform the repairs is preposterous.

Safety should be the utmost concern within our hobby, and maintaining a level that is above satisfactory should be everyone's duty when at the field or in the shop. Granted, accidents happen, but they don't need to be compounded by shotty repair work or poor practices. I am not in favor of either party in this discussion, I simply hate to see people who assume the ability or the competency of others with little or no evidence of their assumptions.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:08 PM
RCJetBazz

Hey Erik, entertain us and tell us what brand and which engine you've worked on, and what did you do to repair, better yet, who sold you what from these "major" turbine manufacturer. While we are at it, show us your balancer, if you don't have one, just go repair Estrada's moped..... Meanwhile, learn how to spell whether or weather before coming onto RCU to preach.

Starsky rules,

D.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:02 PM
rrembert

I'm thinking Kingtech has become a "major manufacturer" in the model turbine world...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:17 PM
erik valdez

Originally Posted by rrembert
I'm thinking Kingtech has become a "major manufacturer" in the model turbine world...
Thats not really what I meant. I was talking more about companies like: Stewart and Stevenson, Rolls Royce, Siemens, Pratt & Whitney, and General Electric just to name a few.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
toolmaker7341

Thats not really what I meant. I was talking more about companies like: Stewart and Stevenson, Rolls Royce, Siemens, Pratt & Whitney, and General Electric just to name a few.
What do those major mfg. have to do with model turbines?????
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
rrembert

Why would you reference the full size manufacturers? Haven't we been talking about model airplane turbines the whole time???
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM
erik valdez

Well I was only arguing the point that "no major" turbine company would sell their parts to an end user, which isn't true. The other was to demonstrate the difference between what a major company is. And btw they not only build large turbines but similar sized model counterparts as well.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 PM
RCJetBazz

Show us Ponch, what similar size turbine do they build and what parts will they sell to end users of none commercial entities.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 PM
GhostRider 1

Mr. Valdez,

Do you have multiple personalities? Everyone of your points you disagree to agree and disagree again. You have not stuck to one single statement and stood behind it. And now you are talking nonsense about race car tracks taking apart their track blowers and fixing them. Do they take them in the pits and ask a team, hey, if your not to busy can you change a turbine wheel real quick for us? Or are you saying they hire the local kid that just finished his on line course at the university of Phoenix to repair their turbine powered track blower. I think you are living through Nascar TV and pulling some serious you know what out of your you know where. You are right about something....I just ordered the multi stage compressor wheels from Rolls Royce for my AV8B Harrier, should get them next week.....thanks for the tip that anyone can do self repair.... oh, and they assured me they indicated the wheels and they are balanced perfect and staggered special....LMAO

Ghostrider 1 out!!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by GhostRider 1
Mr. Valdez,

Do you have multiple personalities? Everyone of your points you disagree to agree and disagree again. You have not stuck to one single statement and stood behind it. And now you are talking nonsense about race car tracks taking apart their track blowers and fixing them. Do they take them in the pits and ask a team, hey, if your not to busy can you change a turbine wheel real quick for us? Or are you saying they hire the local kid that just finished his on line course at the university of Phoenix to repair their turbine powered track blower. I think you are living through Nascar TV and pulling some serious you know what out of your you know where. You are right about something....I just ordered the multi stage compressor wheels from Rolls Royce for my AV8B Harrier, should get them next week.....thanks for the tip that anyone can do self repair.... oh, and they assured me they indicated the wheels and they are balanced perfect and staggered special....LMAO

Ghostrider 1 out!!
Amen Ghostrider

Toolmaker 7341 out also
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM
erik valdez

It is very obvious to me that the RC jet world is a very elitist group, and if you don't agree with these guys they flame you and call you names along with making assumptions about your mental state. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, I have stuck to my points and have not wavered. Now its obvious to a rational person that there are lots of people with not only the know how but also the tools to to undertake a task of repairing a model turbine. As far as what you guys know about the racing world, Ill leave that alone, being from NV and NY I doubt you guys have ever seen a tractor pull. The OP here was upset that Kingtech wouldn't sell him parts, I'm not arguing that, its a good business decision on Kingtechs part, but ALL major turbine companies sell parts to end users. And believe it or not if you needed a part for your harrier I don't doubt you could buy it. I challenge you to pick up the phone and call a few companies and ask if they sell parts, its easy. You don't even have to do that, just Google some of this stuff, you guys are really closed minded, if you believe what your shoveling.

I am glad that not all Americans followed your close minded views otherwise we would have had no Art Arfonse or Craig Breedlove the pioneers who built something from nothing using spare parts in a two car garage to set world records! But as you stated I'm sure those guys just flipped out their checkbooks and paid someone to fix their stuff! People like you guys take the fun out of being a hobbyist. Why build/repair it when you can buy it.

http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/spares...-builder-parts

Last edited by erik valdez; 09-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM
fidel castrol
My Feedback: (1)

ok guys enough about this thread it is completely off topic now and me and barry have sorted out all the issue and as i said before barry i appoligize for all the grief i have caused you over this and i understand why you wont sell me parts and i agree with your policy of not selling the end user parts for there turbine and i think it is a good policy and should be kept in place to protect the end user and the hobby that we so enjoy

To:
moderator if u could remove this thread it would be greatly appreciated and if it can not be removed can change the title to damaged k140g need parts
thank you
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the note, appreciated very much, all is good Brian.

Erik, We don't assume ability or inability, but we do assume most people do not have the proper equipment and jig compounded with variants in the same part for compatibility, reliability and up to spec performance. This whole issue has nothing to do with business profitability decision nor elitism, but merely an attention to the potential hazards involved.

Regards,
Barry
Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM
morwan_gsm

Sorry Fidel to hear about your crash.. I have seen most of your replies and i can understand your situation, i have asked kingtech before for getting some parts but they stated that they wont sell the parts, later i understood why, for me, it is not a matter of trying to save the cost as i got the crashed (burned) engine for free by one of my friend but it is just to experience the DIY repair.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM
try3d
My Feedback: (4)

No surprise to lot of Kingtech owners, that is the Kingtech ways to do business in USA. You not the only one got that offer from Barry when you sent engine in for service, instead of fixing it he offer you a trade in to rip you off many more of us are the victim of the Kingtech turbine, if you do not agree or except his offer he'll terminate dealing with you.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We terminate dealings with Anthony Hoang, because of ECU tampering and damaging on K-80G #1150 and all the subsequent grief that followed, as well as his friend's Kong Houy's K-80E#266 engine ran without oil, and of course denied, as well as the grief and unpleasantry that followed.

Anthony Hoang, obviously KT cannot please you, move on to your next brand of turbines like you say you would. By the way, I did ask you if you like to think it over but you said with confidence that there's nothing for you to think about, so the termination of dealing yesterday over the phone was probably not the most pleasant but at least it was mutual and we are DONE.

Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.